Things that should be allowed while under suspension

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Blabadon (26138 posts) -

I find it ridiculous that I couldn't even look at individual game forums while being suspended.

Then I recently found out if you're suspended, you can't watch videos or look at a game's profile. I was wondering if this could be changed anytime soon.

I know, the easiest solution is not to get suspended, but I still think I have a valid point.

#2 Posted by sexyweapons (5302 posts) -

Well I think being suspended is meant to be a bad thing:P

#3 Posted by c_rakestraw (14613 posts) -

You can't watch videos or visit gamespace pages? Whoa. Never knew that.

But you could just log out whenever suspended, you know.

#4 Posted by NiKva (8768 posts) -
Yeah that bothered me a lot, too, while I was suspended.
#5 Posted by Blabadon (26138 posts) -

You can't watch videos or visit gamespace pages? Whoa. Never knew that.

But you could just log out whenever suspended, you know.

c_rake
I know. But I like to remain logged in if possible because then I don't have to switch to the black background often. While suspended I can still post on blogs and along with just viewing my posts being logged in is what makes me part of this community, whether I can post or not. Another big problem is the drop down menu to log in and out is a hassle to use on a touch screen device like my Android table or when I had my iPhone. As for now I of course log out when I want to watch a video or view a game's page when suspended but it's a kink that can be worked out hopefully.
#6 Posted by free_milk (4368 posts) -

I agree.

Minimum we should be allowed to use gamespot fuse or send private messages.

I had a terrible experiance where i was supposed to be suspended for 2days but the mods forgot and it was 10 days.I was lucky i had a gamespot user on steam who asked on moderation clarifycation forums.

So we should atleast be able to message mods.

Also if i get suspended for somthing on a certain forum such as system wars instead of suspending me from the whole website.Give me a temp suspension from the acutal forum instead.

#7 Posted by Jonwh18 (9350 posts) -

my beef is not being able to go to the MCS while suspended. I went there with an alt because (this has all been resolved, no need to susppend me again for it) I didn't even know gamespot had a customer support and I have been posting for years and lurking long before that. They ether need to make customer support more obvious, allow us to message mods , or allow us to go to MCS.

#8 Posted by Blabadon (26138 posts) -

my beef is not being able to go to the MCS while suspended. I went there with an alt because (this has all been resolved, no need to susppend me again for it) I didn't even know gamespot had a customer support and I have been posting for years and lurking long before that. They ether need to make customer support more obvious, allow us to message mods , or allow us to go to MCS.

Jonwh18
This too, CS takes quite a while to respond as with my recent suspension.
#9 Posted by michaelP4 (16680 posts) -
On PMs: The problem with not limiting them is you could harass mods or users. On just suspending a person from a particular form: on the administration side, that just complicates things and that particular user would probably just continue to violate the ToU on other forums, so it makes sense to completely suspend them from all of the forums. If you find yourself in a case where you've been suspended longer than what was said, you contact Customer Support and they'll fix it for you. I recognise and accept that CS isn't the most visible tool on GS, but Rangers like myself on the site's support boards (How To GameSpot, Technical Support and even here) are trying to promote awareness of it. It is also mentioned in the Help files and I think linked to on a few pages of the site. The response time of CS varies with the demand of queries, requests etc but they will get back to you. You have to take into account that they work office hours so they're not always available.
#10 Posted by Blabadon (26138 posts) -
[QUOTE="michaelP4"]On PMs: The problem with not limiting them is you could harass mods or users. On just suspending a person from a particular form: on the administration side, that just complicates things and that particular user would probably just continue to violate the ToU on other forums, so it makes sense to completely suspend them from all of the forums. If you find yourself in a case where you've been suspended longer than what was said, you contact Customer Support and they'll fix it for you. I recognise and accept that CS isn't the most visible tool on GS, but Rangers like myself on the site's support boards (How To GameSpot, Technical Support and even here) are trying to promote awareness of it. It is also mentioned in the Help files and I think linked to on a few pages of the site. The response time of CS varies with the demand of queries, requests etc but they will get back to you. You have to take into account that they work office hours so they're not always available.

I was actually going to agree on the first point, but I realized other points about it. Harassing the mods (or other users) is the last thing someone wants to do under suspension and would lead to a longer suspension or ban. If someone really wanted to harass users they could make an alt anyways since GameSpot never actually cracks down on alts. I wasn't talking about being suspended from a forum. I'm with the idea of someone who's suspended from a forum should be suspended from all GameSpot ones and cannot post. But if suspended, a user cannot even view the page of a game and its individual forums. It says they have no access and is just a black screen otherwise. It's ridiculous and silly, especially because if you search up a game related question on Google (ex. "How do I get this star in Super Mario Galaxy?") then that game's individual forum would come up often in the search (in this case, Super Mario Galaxy's individual forum) and they cannot view it. Thanks for the third paragraph though, it should help future users.
#11 Posted by michaelP4 (16680 posts) -
It's more to allow the user to cool down and think about what happened. The user would be annoyed that he got suspended (quite often in their view unjustly) and would emotionally complain to the mods about it, which could further inflame the situation. And it's best for the user not to view the forum so they don't look at the topics where their post may have got moderated, resulting in their suspension. Again, could further infuriate them. On viewing games, yeah, I agree they should still be able to view general game pages and news which I always thought they were able to.
#12 Posted by Blabadon (26138 posts) -
We'll have to agree to disagree. Like I said, alts are too easy of a solution for this. I'm not sure you would know because you are much better, rule-abiding poster than me, but the only place you can't see are individual pages and video reviews (which is ridiculous on a different level). I got suspended for something in SW but I could view exactly where I was suspended, thread, sub-forum, etc. If a user is infuriated by suspensions, then they need to write a level-headed PM to the CS like I did or simply get off the internet. That's ludicrous, but I know what you mean.
#13 Posted by Shadowchronicle (25977 posts) -
I would have agreed with this before the ToU change but honestly if you get a moderation you've probably done enough things to prove you shouldn't be able to pm for the time being. I think it would be cool if suspended users can post in a forum where mods can only see the suspended users' post. That is how it works on other forums (sometimes).
#14 Posted by DigitalDame (3948 posts) -

We're currently aware that there are some issues with the current suspension causing a full lock out, until the issue is resolved you are (as was mentioned earlier) able to log out and still view the content in question.