This topic is locked from further discussion.

NameIess_One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 NameIess_One
Member since 2013 • 1077 Posts

A few times, I accidentally flagged someone's post while trying to quote them, since the "Flag" button is so close to the "Quote" one.

Could the buttons be moved further apart, or could flagging involve more than one click, like being asked for a confirmation?

Avatar image for Smashbrossive50
Smashbrossive50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 Smashbrossive50
Member since 2009 • 3915 Posts

if the mistake took place,immediately unflag them to prevent such. I did this once and I knew it's wrong to flag an innocent post. if it's too late,the false flag case will be dismissed

NameIess_One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 NameIess_One

@Smashbrossive50 said:

if the mistake took place,immediately unflag them to prevent such. I did this once and I knew it's wrong to flag an innocent post. if it's too late,the false flag case will be dismissed

Yeah, I know, but still, this is a layout flaw, one of many.

And while it's true a false flag case gets dismissed, if I got things right, you get +1 karma for reporting a post not violating the ToU.

Smashbrossive50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Smashbrossive50

@NameIess_One: that's how justice works here,do the false report,that's what you get for doing it.if the post contains ToU violation,the +1 karma will go to the ToU violator.it's called fairly deserved

RobotOpBuddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -3

#5 RobotOpBuddy  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 65506 Posts

^While it's true you get +1 karma, that karma should also drop by 1 each day, so it's quite harmless (well, aside from leaving an unnecessary message for the mods to look at/dismiss which is then left in the long list of removed/ignored posts) unless you're getting moderated a lot or reporting/being reported a lot in a short time period. It could certainly be improved imo, but it's not too bad as is. The flag button positioning is the farthest right while reply/quote are the furthest to the left in that grouping of buttons (full edit/edit/delete go in between), the thing is for most users they only have the 3 options on the majority of posts, so they end up right next to each other regardless. As such it doesn't really affect the moderators or staff, but I agree it'd probably be ideal to tweak that a bit to avoid accidental flaggings - though the ability to simply unflag a post immediately after flagging one greatly reduces the problems it would otherwise cause.

Smashbrossive50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Smashbrossive50

@robbristow: on what page will that appear if the person get one?

NameIess_One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By NameIess_One

@robbristow said:

^While it's true you get +1 karma, that karma should also drop by 1 each day, so it's quite harmless (well, aside from leaving an unnecessary message for the mods to look at/dismiss which is then left in the long list of removed/ignored posts) unless you're getting moderated a lot or reporting/being reported a lot in a short time period. It could certainly be improved imo, but it's not too bad as is. The flag button positioning is the farthest right while reply/quote are the furthest to the left in that grouping of buttons (full edit/edit/delete go in between), the thing is for most users they only have the 3 options on the majority of posts, so they end up right next to each other regardless. As such it doesn't really affect the moderators or staff, but I agree it'd probably be ideal to tweak that a bit to avoid accidental flaggings - though the ability to simply unflag a post immediately after flagging one greatly reduces the problems it would otherwise cause.

Yeah, I know it's a minor thing, but still, it's a slight annoyance, so thought I'd bring it up, see if anything can be done about it, doesn't seem like much work, after all. Having a simple confirmation window or something would do.

The main issue with the forums is this:

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/bug-reporting-feedback-1000006/bring-back-the-new-posts-in-thread-indicators-30860626/#11

Would be great if it could be brought up to staff's attention.

RobotOpBuddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By RobotOpBuddy  Moderator
@NameIess_One said:

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/bug-reporting-feedback-1000006/bring-back-the-new-posts-in-thread-indicators-30860626/#11

I believe they're already aware of and working on that, I recall one of the devs posting in one of the previous threads about the same thing, and I have seen some improvements to features that it will rely on since as well, so I suspect they're already working on it in some capacity at least.

I'm actually not entirely sure posts can be unflagged either - I just tested it (using a random locked but not deleted SW thread post, ignored the flag and corrected karma afterwards) - while the button toggles between flag and flagged clicking it, it would appear that the message isn't actually unflagged when clicking the 'flagged' button and still has to be ignored (or deleted) by a moderator to get it out of the queue of flagged posts that haven't been acted on yet. That may have been because someone else had already flagged the post in the past (and it had already been ignored), but it still showed my username as a reporter in the queue, so I suspect unflagging isn't working quite as intended either. That said, false reports still just get ignored and as long as no one is accidentally flagging multiple posts a day regularly (it really shouldn't be that hard to avoid clicking it when replying to/quoting someone unless you're in a hurry) it shouldn't affect their karma enough that it causes any real issues.

@Smashbrossive50 said:

@robbristow: on what page will that appear if the person get one?

I'm not sure what you mean - get one of what?

PS: @username notifications appear to be broken still unfortunately :s

Smashbrossive50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Smashbrossive50

@robbristow: it's karma,what else would you expect,flagged post will get the karma. and I know I shouldn't put this matter way too seriously,otherwise I would pick up that stuff from the soil

OmitName

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By OmitName
Member since 2005 • 766 Posts

i wouldnt see too much harm in allowing users to see at least their own karma. perhaps its not that way to weed out the bad ones; so they dont manage their badness and give just enough, and as much as they can, to not be banned. it is a detail of some gravity however. usually most are comforted to have an eye on that sort of business. maybe bury it somewhere cumbersome to access. the inconsiderate wont bother digging for it often enough to be able to manage their behavior.

NameIess_One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By NameIess_One

@robbristow said:
@NameIess_One said:

I believe they're already aware of and working on that, I recall one of the devs posting in one of the previous threads about the same thing, and I have seen some improvements to features that it will rely on since as well, so I suspect they're already working on it in some capacity at least.

I'm actually not entirely sure posts can be unflagged either - I just tested it (using a random locked but not deleted SW thread post, ignored the flag and corrected karma afterwards) - while the button toggles between flag and flagged clicking it, it would appear that the message isn't actually unflagged when clicking the 'flagged' button and still has to be ignored (or deleted) by a moderator to get it out of the queue of flagged posts that haven't been acted on yet. That may have been because someone else had already flagged the post in the past (and it had already been ignored), but it still showed my username as a reporter in the queue, so I suspect unflagging isn't working quite as intended either. That said, false reports still just get ignored and as long as no one is accidentally flagging multiple posts a day regularly (it really shouldn't be that hard to avoid clicking it when replying to/quoting someone unless you're in a hurry) it shouldn't affect their karma enough that it causes any real issues.

That's good, thanks for the info. Haven't heard a single word on that topic from anyone, and I brought it up many times. My forum activity took a hit since it's much harder to keep up with the discussions over multiple threads.

------------

As for flagging, the impression I got is, sometimes it can be cancelled, other times, not. Also, I agree with the guy above how we should be able to see our own karma. These are all pretty minor details, but as of now, plenty of minor details on the site are off, which can be an annoyance to forum browsing, so they should be fixed when possible.

RobotOpBuddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 RobotOpBuddy  Moderator

@Smashbrossive50 said:

@robbristow: it's karma,what else would you expect,flagged post will get the karma. and I know I shouldn't put this matter way too seriously,otherwise I would pick up that stuff from the soil

You can see your current karma just by hovering over your avatar on the forums - or at the least, moderators can see it that way - I assume you can see your own karma this way at least, seen as the basic info about karma is provided when making a new thread - if not then it's probably something to suggest, staff may (or may not) intend it as a moderator tool of sorts though. I'm unaware of anywhere else it shows outside of moderator tools which most users obviously won't be able to access. The karma system is mostly automated and the vast majority of users shouldn't get affected by it though - any post bans the karma system causes are temporary as well I believe due to karma decreasing by 1 every day.

@NameIess_One said:

@robbristow said:
@NameIess_One said:

That's good, thanks for the info. Haven't heard a single word on that topic from anyone, and I brought it up many times. My forum activity took a hit since it's much harder to keep up with the discussions over multiple threads.

------------

As for flagging, the impression I got is, sometimes it can be cancelled, other times, not. Also, I agree with the guy above how we should be able to see our own karma. These are all pretty minor details, but as of now, plenty of minor details on the site are off, which can be an annoyance to forum browsing, so they should be fixed when possible.

I looked back through my post history (which isn't nearly as pleasant as the old one) and found the post I was thinking of - unfortunately, while there's an overlap in the features (namely the linking method and anchors required on all forum pages to accommodate them), the dev was talking about a different one - I imagine that thread will continue to be bumped until a staff member posts in it anyway though, there's a lot of demand for it and as such it's only a matter of time until something is done about it.

Perhaps flagging has a minor bug as well in that case - moderators typically won't flag posts but rather just act on them, which automatically puts it in the right place in the tools - so it's not likely something any moderators would notice unfortunately, despite being a moderation related feature.

Smashbrossive50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Smashbrossive50

@robbristow:nope,not even a clue how will I ever see it,are you sure it's only moderators like you or the staff can see this,and I believe its position would've been below "Followed by: (number of followers) "?

digitaldame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#14 digitaldame
Member since 2006 • 5401 Posts

Thanks for taking the time to give this feedback. I'll add it to this weeks Bug Report under the Feature Request section.

RobotOpBuddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By RobotOpBuddy  Moderator

@Smashbrossive50 said:

@robbristow:nope,not even a clue how will I ever see it,are you sure it's only moderators like you or the staff can see this,and I believe its position would've been below "Followed by: (number of followers) "?

Well, you guessed it's position correctly, it's underneath followed by when viewed by moderators/staff. Synthia's taken note so just a matter of waiting to see what happens now.