The ads are ridiculous

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#1 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

First the video ads that self play without being muted by default, now the placement above the respond box on mobile.

Shame on you guys.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#2 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

@Blabadon said:

First the video ads that self play without being muted by default, now the placement above the respond box on mobile.

Shame on you guys.

Yea it's beyond annoying now with the ads

It's like "oh I think i'll post a response to this thread" thwap ads to the face

Avatar image for harry_james_pot
harry_james_pot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3 harry_james_pot  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 11414 Posts

Agreed, the new ones before the reply box are ridiculous and way too big. I have adblock disabled on GS to support the site, but if this one doesn't get moved I'm gonna have to enable it again.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Blabadon

Holy shit, **** this site. You people suck.

RobotOpBuddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: -3

#5 RobotOpBuddy  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 65506 Posts

I have to agree that the new yahoo powered before the WYSIWYG editor on every forum page are obscenely large, and completely unacceptable. At the very least they need to be moved underneath the reply box because atm they have a very significant negative impact on the forum experience. As a result I'm sure a large amount of users have used things like ad block to remove them completely as well, so everyone loses.

SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

#6 SolidSnake35
Member since 2005 • 58971 Posts

Use Ad-block. They don't deserve a penny for this mess of a website.

Blutfahne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7 Blutfahne
Member since 2014 • 276 Posts

Now you understand why I joined in 2014. My old account was banned years ago for complaining about ads lol.

harry_james_pot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 harry_james_pot  Moderator

@robotopbuddy said:

I have to agree that the new yahoo powered before the WYSIWYG editor on every forum page are obscenely large, and completely unacceptable. At the very least they need to be moved underneath the reply box because atm they have a very significant negative impact on the forum experience. As a result I'm sure a large amount of users have used things like ad block to remove them completely as well, so everyone loses.

Is there a way to block just that particular frame?

RobotOpBuddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 RobotOpBuddy  Moderator

@harry_james_pot said:

@robotopbuddy said:

it's all within a div with the class of "YAD", removing that should hide the whole lot. An example filter for ad block as such would be www.gamespot.com##DIV[class="YAD"]. You could probably even hide it with any user-CSS add-on quite easily thanks to the convenient unique class name for the div it's all in.

I take it your intention is to block just this one particular ad so that the site still benefits from the ads that aren't so horribly placed?

harry_james_pot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By harry_james_pot  Moderator

@robotopbuddy said:

@harry_james_pot said:

@robotopbuddy said:

it's all within a div with the class of "YAD", removing that should hide the whole lot. An example filter for ad block as such would be www.gamespot.com##DIV[class="YAD"]. You could probably even hide it with any user-CSS add-on quite easily thanks to the convenient unique class name for the div it's all in.

I take it your intention is to block just this one particular ad so that the site still benefits from the ads that aren't so horribly placed?

Yeah exactly.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#11  Edited By branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

I think this is funny.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#12 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

@SolidSnake35 said:

Use Ad-block. They don't deserve a penny for this mess of a website.

This. Totally this.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58938 Posts

Front page is kind of joke. I guess it's because of adblock that we now have bad ("news") adverts taking precedent over actual news.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Blabadon

Mobile doesn't have AdBlock.

Nengo_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Nengo_Flow
Member since 2011 • 10644 Posts
@robotopbuddy said:

I have had adblockers for years now, so i dont get no ads on nothing, including videos..

EXCEPT.......... for that fucking Yahoo bullshit above the comment box in the forums which is extremely annoying. Idk how and why that shit is there, but im really sadden that adblockers do not block that shit out.

danyopizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#17 danyopizzle
Member since 2005 • 341 Posts

you guys are complaining about the ads on this site? don't forget youtube! way worse! its basically become literally the new tv, with ADS PER every vid no matter the length!

zassimick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

#18  Edited By zassimick  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 10470 Posts

@robotopbuddy said:

Thanks for that info! The placement of that Yahoo ad was god-awful, and it didn't help that it was poorly designed. Giant white box on the gray background of the site, with poorly sized images and text? No, thank you.

RobotOpBuddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 RobotOpBuddy  Moderator

@Zassimick said:

@robotopbuddy said:

Thanks for that info! The placement of that Yahoo ad was god-awful, and it didn't help that it was poorly designed. Giant white box on the gray background of the site, with poorly sized images and text? No, thank you.

That example filter may not work any more, as they changed the div class to "YAD YAD--module" as opposed to "YAD", simple enough to update the filter though, regardless of what you're using to filter it.

wemmick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#20 wemmick
Member since 2013 • 372 Posts

Hey guys - we'll be moving the Yahoo ads down below the Reply box on forum threads - the fix should go out today or tomorrow. Sorry for the inconvenience!

wemmick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 wemmick

And as for video ads with uninitiated audio - please let us know about those. They are against our ad policies, so if we know who they are from and what they link to, we can have them pulled down. A screenshot would help as well. Thanks!

harry_james_pot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 harry_james_pot  Moderator

@wemmick said:

Hey guys - we'll be moving the Yahoo ads down below the Reply box on forum threads - the fix should go out today or tomorrow. Sorry for the inconvenience!

That's great!

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Blabadon

@wemmick: Thank you so much, oh my goodness. :)

dalger21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#24  Edited By dalger21
Member since 2002 • 2231 Posts

I would freely sign up for some sort of subscription like we had in the past to avoid the ads altogether.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Blabadon

@wemmick said:

Lord forbid anyone working on this site actually goes by their word once. Good job not delivering again.

wemmick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 wemmick

@Blabadon: My apologies, guys - we were getting ready to push it on Friday, but a bug popped up that prevented the push. We're shooting for Monday.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Blabadon

@wemmick said:

@Blabadon: My apologies, guys - we were getting ready to push it on Friday, but a bug popped up that prevented the push. We're shooting for Monday.

No problem. Appreciate the response.

If any issues pop up though, please, as a community that has become all too accustomed to lacking answers, just tell us. It means a lot to us. Ignoring/forgetting us just brings the issues with the site full circle.

wemmick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 wemmick

@Blabadon: And...it's done!

harry_james_pot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By harry_james_pot  Moderator

@wemmick said:

@Blabadon: And...it's done!

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Blabadon

@wemmick: Thanks!

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

That is minor compared to the fact that ads are randomly opening on my PC while I browse the forums. Fix this ASAP.