System Wars Should Be Closed

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by TyberZannxxxx (712 posts) -

I have seen what System Wars has become. What was once a board for cross-platform discussion has turned into a board that everyone uses solely to piss each other off, and I have had it. I request that the entire System Wars board is closed so that everyone can stop flaming each other. I'm just sick of seeing all the flaming and hating.

#2 Posted by c_rakestraw (14799 posts) -

And let that behavior scatter across the platform boards and PDG? No and GOD NO!

#3 Posted by Vari3ty (11111 posts) -

If it bothers you don't go there. Problem solved.

#4 Posted by topsemag55 (19063 posts) -

Some constraints have been placed on SW, such as a Level 10 requirement to create a thread. If any other rule changes become necessary, they will be determined by our Admins.

#5 Posted by CaseyWegner (70104 posts) -

And let that behavior scatter across the platform boards and PDG? No and GOD NO!

c_rake

yes. the forum has to exist. it should just be a little different than it is now.

#6 Posted by Shadowchronicle (26054 posts) -

You do not have to post there and even if the link is available... Again you do not have to post in the SW forum. Why? Because it was made for people like that and they will stay there as long as that forum exists. SW pretty much filters out the people who want to argue or let users post their dislikes of other consoles.

#7 Posted by CaseyWegner (70104 posts) -

You do not have to post there and even if the link is available... Again you do not have to post in the SW forum. Why? Because it was made for people like that and they will stay there as long as that forum exists. SW pretty much filters out the people who want to argue or let users post their dislikes of other consoles.

shadowchronicle

outside of a ucb, where would you recommend they go for system vs system discussion? can't go to primary games discussion. it's not allowed.

#8 Posted by Shadowchronicle (26054 posts) -

[QUOTE="shadowchronicle"]

CaseyWegner

outside of a ucb, where would you recommend they go for system vs system discussion? can't go to primary games discussion. it's not allowed.

I don't think its possible to have a decent conversation at SW without someone being biased because there is a huge group of people posting and these people post in groups. If someone wants a serious system vs system discussion they should probably make a union. Of course the amount of posts that will come will be small but compared to SW you can have a good conversation with little to no arguments if you have set rules. I'd recommend a ucb or a union for a system vs system discussion.
#9 Posted by Horgen (111432 posts) -
It will take a lot before such an union or UCB has enough posters with varied enough views to make things interesting in the long run. :(
#10 Posted by CaseyWegner (70104 posts) -

[QUOTE="CaseyWegner"]

[QUOTE="shadowchronicle"]

shadowchronicle

I don't think its possible to have a decent conversation at SW without someone being biased because there is a huge group of people posting and these people post in groups. If someone wants a serious system vs system discussion they should probably make a union. Of course the amount of posts that will come will be small but compared to SW you can have a good conversation with little to no arguments if you have set rules. I'd recommend a ucb or a union for a system vs system discussion.

i actually haven't seen anybody request an argument-free, standalone system wars forum. most seem to want, as mentioned before, something between the old and the new rules. for those that want that, there's nowhere to go and still have it be as active (a good thing) as the real system wars. an effective ucb for something like that would take quite a number of endorsements to have a chance at taking off.

#11 Posted by Shadowchronicle (26054 posts) -

It will take a lot before such an union or UCB has enough posters with varied enough views to make things interesting in the long run. :( horgen123
Yeah I guess so, but where would the people who want to flame go? It would just be worse for the PGD people and legacy platform discussions. But if you do have a huge group of people like SW then there is no way of stopping the arguments, its harder to control. I think SW shouldn't be closed but maybe instead there could be a few rules added to change it so that way atleast its somewhat okay to go in. With a few rules it would be a bit better.

Personally I see no matter how many rules are made for SW people will flame either way especially since people have favorite consoles and its always the who can troll best competition.

#12 Posted by CaseyWegner (70104 posts) -

[QUOTE="horgen123"]It will take a lot before such an union or UCB has enough posters with varied enough views to make things interesting in the long run. :( shadowchronicle

Yeah I guess so, but where would the people who want to flame go? It would just be worse for the PGD people and legacy platform discussions. But if you do have a huge group of people like SW then there is no way of stopping the arguments, its harder to control. I think SW shouldn't be closed but maybe instead there could be a few rules added to change it so that way atleast its somewhat okay to go in. With a few rules it would be a bit better.

Personally I see no matter how many rules are made for SW people will flame either way especially since people have favorite consoles and its always the who can troll best competition.

that's pretty much what people have been asking for.

on a side note, what do you think of the "need to be at least level 10 before making threads" rule?

#13 Posted by thom_maytees (3669 posts) -

The main problem of System Wars is that it has quickly become Troll the Other User/Make it Personal Wars.Threads that are appropriate for System Wars quickly become personal instead of talking about games and their hardware. Insulting each other, postings stupid and childish memes is not what System Wars is about. The thread hijacking needs to stop.

Another problem is that GameSpot has yet to implement a code to block users who have yet reached Level 10 to create topics. Many of these sub-Level 10 users are actually established users who create alternative accounts simply to rile up other users. When will GameSpot will implement this code?

#15 Posted by Shadowchronicle (26054 posts) -
I think the lvl 10 rule works as a temporary fix, but as said before these people have main accounts so they don't mind leveling up their account to 11 and start trolling. Plus since most people don't know who is the main account they are comfortable and dandy by continuing the trolling. Then there are the people who troll on their main accounts because they get bored of other SWers trolling.

The main problem of System Wars is that it has quickly become Troll the Other User/Make it Personal Wars.Threads that are appropriate for System Wars quickly become personal instead of talking about games and their hardware. Insulting each other, postings stupid and childish memes is not what System Wars is about. The thread hijacking needs to stop.

Another problem is that GameSpot has yet to implement a code to block users who have yet reached Level 10 to create topics. Many of these sub-Level 10 users are actually established users who create alternative accounts simply to rile up other users. When will GameSpot will implement this code?

thom_maytees
I agree with this. Every bit.
#16 Posted by c_rakestraw (14799 posts) -

When will GameSpot will implement this code?thom_maytees

Whenever the site revamp is done. The admin's have alluded to the forums getting a big overhaul once it does.

#17 Posted by Vari3ty (11111 posts) -

[QUOTE="thom_maytees"]When will GameSpot will implement this code?c_rake

Whenever the site revamp is done. The admin's have alluded to the forums getting a big overhaul once it does.

They better not f*** this up, if they do the results could be disastrous.

#18 Posted by c_rakestraw (14799 posts) -

They better not f*** this up, if they do the results could be disastrous.Vari3ty

I can't imagine it being any worse than what we've got now. Most of the site software's been around since '03 or so, apparently. Modernizing the place can only be good.

#19 Posted by Tessellation (8847 posts) -
yeah i agree it needs to be shut down or at least get the old rules back... i hate to admit that sometimes i need to counter back with some trolling because all the logic left that once existed is gone..
#20 Posted by alexside1 (4405 posts) -
System wars is not flaming wars. We needs some regulation to prevent the sh)t storm happening.
#21 Posted by parkurtommo (28049 posts) -

I don't want the old rules back either, that would be the other extreme, I want something in the middle.

Of couse no ones going to close SW lol

#22 Posted by Ravensmash (13862 posts) -
Ban certain posters from making threads and much of the problems will go away. The issue at the moment is that under leveled/troll posters are running rampant making ridiculous topics. The community recognise this, so I don't see why such a system would be so hard to implement. It would help out in OT as well. Forget user levels/mods coming along and locking threads - if someone consistently proves that they can't make a decent topic, then take away that privilege.
#23 Posted by super600 (31200 posts) -

I would say to ban/suspend users like forza,phonemug,pikachu,ziychop and more if they post their garbage on SW a lot.I like the ability to be able to troll because it works wonderfully for SW bets,but I think their needs to be a rule to prevent people from trolling like crazy,annoying other users or spamming.

#24 Posted by verbtex (8710 posts) -

System Wars doesn't need to be closed, I just think it needs a few changes. I haven't finalized what changes I believe it needs, but I think I have an idea of what can be done for now.

Most of the power lies in the community which is complaining. Don't respond to the trolls. If they make a topic, just skip it. Don't go and post stupid pictures or try to flame them out for their idiocies, just let them be, if everyone gets around to doing it, the guys you dislike will leave. Banning them only causes them to make a new account. They crave that attention of being banned/hated/disliked. Ignoring them is the most powerful tool that no one but the community at large has.

If you see someone purposefully making a pointless topic just report it as a "System Wars Invasion". That will raise the right flags to the moderators, so that the mods can take care of it.

There's a few more things the mods can do in System Wars, it's just become a little harder since a lot of the threads I know you guys are talking about are so borderline on rule breaking that it sometimes is a little problem to just moderate them heavily for their behavior. Especially since we are supposed to lighten up on everyone EQUALLY as a part of the new TOU.

#25 Posted by CaseyWegner (70104 posts) -

System Wars doesn't need to be closed, I just think it needs a few changes. I haven't finalized what changes I believe it needs, but I think I have an idea of what can be done for now.

verbtex

it is encouraging to see a system wars mod say something like that out in the open. :)

#26 Posted by Ravensmash (13862 posts) -

Most of the power lies in the community which is complaining. Don't respond to the trolls. If they make a topic, just skip it. Don't go and post stupid pictures or try to flame them out for their idiocies, just let them be, if everyone gets around to doing it, the guys you dislike will leave. Banning them only causes them to make a new account. They crave that attention of being banned/hated/disliked. Ignoring them is the most powerful tool that no one but the community at large has.

If you see someone purposefully making a pointless topic just report it as a "System Wars Invasion". That will raise the right flags to the moderators, so that the mods can take care of it.

There's a few more things the mods can do in System Wars, it's just become a little harder since a lot of the threads I know you guys are talking about are so borderline on rule breaking that it sometimes is a little problem to just moderate them heavily for their behavior. Especially since we are supposed to lighten up on everyone EQUALLY as a part of the new TOU.

verbtex
And push GS for a thread creation ban!
#27 Posted by Dracula68 (33109 posts) -
Can;t believe this thread went on for so long considering it will never happen. Yeah I went there...."never" happen.