'Stacks' in the new Gamespot are too buggy

• 135 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by funkyzoom (1426 posts) -

Since I have been granted access to the Beta version of the new Gamespot, I'm reporting this issue.

Changes made to the 'stacks' are never preserved. Most often, clicking on the 'Save and Finish' button does nothing. On very few occasions that the changes do seem to get 'saved', I find everything reverted back to the earlier state once I log out and log back in again.

#2 Posted by gmax (6861 posts) -
If you haven't done so already, you may wish to mention this on the New GS Bugs & Feedback forum. I think that's where they're looking for this sort of thing, and there may already be a topic or two about this particular issue.

#3 Posted by funkyzoom (1426 posts) -

If you haven't done so already, you may wish to mention this on the New GS Bugs & Feedback forum. I think that's where they're looking for this sort of thing, and there may already be a topic or two about this particular issue.

gmax

Thank you. I never knew about that forum.

#4 Posted by funkyzoom (1426 posts) -

gmax

Thanks a lot for telling me. I never knew about that forum. I have posted it ther now.

#5 Posted by jimkabrhel (15417 posts) -

During the beta, I couldn't even save anything, but I do get a saved message for my stack, though the changes I've made aren't actually being saved.

#6 Edited by Randolph (10468 posts) -

They are also ugly, random, and inefficient. The traditional collection page was perfectly functional, and made browsing your or someone else's collection easy and simple.

#7 Edited by saint311 (68 posts) -

I'm unable to save changes to my stacks. It keeps telling me to choose a valid template style? Where is this template style stuff? And why does it have to be valid just to delete some games off a stack?

#8 Edited by Wardishy (54 posts) -

Buggy for me too. Kept telling me to choose a valid template style, but the only option was to change to an un-ordered stack, which I did and it saved. But for some reason didn't actually save the changes I made.

So I went to edit it again and it automatically numbered the games in order again but asked for me to choose a valid template? Only the option to un-order the stack was gone. Really annoying.

Edit: I know this system can work because ComicVine uses the exact same system for their lists, and it works fine.

#9 Posted by anarayan (322 posts) -

I had 100 games on my collection and 140 on my wish list. Now there are 94 games on my collection and 134 on my wish list. What happened to the 6, I don't know. This is a problem because I use GS as the sole way to manage my games collection and keep track of what games I've played, and what games I've finished.

Secondly, I need to print the list of games on my wish list, so I can take it to my nearest Gamestop and buy them. That seems impossible with the new format. Additionally, I have a preferred console for most games. Any way to figure out what the preferred console is for each game on my stack? Seems inefficient.

#10 Edited by Bgrngod (5732 posts) -

I had 1800+ in my collection and around 1500 in my wish list.

Now I have 0 in my collection and 1500 in my wish list. But, my wish list is totally useless since it's unreadable in any way what-so-ever.

So that effectively puts me at 0 and 0. The feature is gone.

#11 Edited by anarayan (322 posts) -

@Bgrngod said:

I had 1800+ in my collection and around 1500 in my wish list.

Now I have 0 in my collection and 1500 in my wish list. But, my wish list is totally useless since it's unreadable in any way what-so-ever.

So that effectively puts me at 0 and 0. The feature is gone.

Agreed. Games collection was better the previous way. Now that I've gone there and notied it, there are new games on my wish list that I didn't put on there. There are games on my collections that I didn't put on there. It is a mess.

Previously, I could group games on a particular platform on my wish list and my collections. Now that feature is gone. I could order it by release date, that feature is gone. It really sucks. I have to do my research all over again. The game names have been changed weirdly. Dark Cloud 2 has become Dark Chronicle 2 (though the link from the stacks leads to the proper review). Oddly enough, the picture says "Dark Chronicle 2" as well, which is weird.

#12 Edited by PumpkinBoogie (3366 posts) -

@Wardishy said:

Buggy for me too. Kept telling me to choose a valid template style, but the only option was to change to an un-ordered stack, which I did and it saved. But for some reason didn't actually save the changes I made.

So I went to edit it again and it automatically numbered the games in order again but asked for me to choose a valid template? Only the option to un-order the stack was gone. Really annoying.

Edit: I know this system can work because ComicVine uses the exact same system for their lists, and it works fine.

Yeah, I did the same exact thing and have had the same results of it telling me to 'choose a valid template style'. I mean, what HELL is that even suppose to be?? It's kinda frustrating, that for sure <_<

#13 Edited by M4cR1II3n (135 posts) -

All my previously rated games are gone, I had over 900 of them. The only thing that's left is the games I own (in a random, inefficient order that does not let me to see the scores for them) and the games I'm playing. And there is no way to easily add games to your collection, let alone save the changes. I think I'm done on this site.

#14 Posted by dipdish (863 posts) -

@Wardishy said:

Yeah, I did the same exact thing and have had the same results of it telling me to 'choose a valid template style'. I mean, what HELL is that even suppose to be?? It's kinda frustrating, that for sure <_<

The same "Valid Template Style" issue here.

#15 Posted by Sheoldred (9 posts) -

As someone who was around for the last site change where they stopped allowing you to rate in decimals and stopped rating games after that, I saw this coming years ago. If a site isn't consistent in its feature set and feature behavior--if it constantly changes things around every few years--one shouldn't really enter data into those features one wants to keep forever, since they can simply remove it at any time. I encourage people to manage data they find important offline. It's the only way to be safe.

#16 Edited by ClaudeLv250 (854 posts) -

Can't get the stacks to do anything - can't even add to my owned collection because that stack doesn't show up when I try to add games on their pages.

Trying to add or delete anything from a stack used to get me a processing error. Today it's trying to open a .json (??) file on my computer any time I try to save changes.

I understand the new GS is going to have some kinks but...when half the stuff doesn't work, what's the point?

#17 Posted by wickedd (48 posts) -

I liked the old "collection" stuff better. Way clearer to see what's what and to maintain. Also, the "valid template" problem is still a pain the butt, I'd liek to see it fixed.

#18 Posted by Silacio (5 posts) -

Agree with all the posts above, have the same problem with the "Choose a valid template" when trying to save changes. This new style is very inefficient and lacking in information concerning game ratings (yours, gamespots, and others), game release date, etc. Old style was a bit dated but efficient and quick. This is slow, buggy, and lacking. Hope they fix this eventually. I would hate to redo my list in IGN. I hate IGN.

#19 Posted by ggelhsva (6 posts) -

@gmax: Where's this forum you're mentioning of? Can't find it.

Anyway, my issue with the "stacks" is that i can't sort the games that are in a stack. For example, in the old lists, you could sort the games alphabetically, chronologically, etc. Now i can't seem to be able to do any sorting whatsoever!

I sincerely hope that's a bug which will be fixed in the near future. Sorting was one of the features i used the most in the old lists.

#20 Edited by Nosakos (4 posts) -

@ggelhsva: +100000000

Without the sorting and the flexibility we had before these stacks are useless!

#21 Posted by eyekey (20 posts) -

same 'choose a valid template' madness here too. it would be nice if they would actually chime in on these issues. Otherwise, what's the point?

#22 Edited by anarayan (322 posts) -

I really don't want to see the boxart for every game on my collection/wish list. That is tedious to scroll through. On the other hand, if I hover over it, the option to see the boxart would be nice, though not necessary. I am with everyone on this, this needs to be fixed.

#23 Edited by OmitName (717 posts) -

im considerably embarrassed that the first image and game listed in the thumbnail preview of my "stack" of games i own is redneck rampage. ive 'removed' all the games in that list a few times to no avail.

not that one, not like this.

• 'make an unordered stack' button works. now the first to show is animal crossing. im more ok with that, for now. i did try to delete everything again after, still didnt take.
#24 Posted by LunarEclipz (23 posts) -

All my games are now from other countries. I ahve pal, jap and korean instead of ntsc.

#25 Edited by CptJSparrow (10897 posts) -

I can work with my 'collection' stack just fine, but when I try to make changes to my 'currently playing' stack it says "you must choose a valid template". I have no idea what that means.

edit: getting this error on collection now too :(

#26 Posted by thiagodcf (36 posts) -

same here....

#27 Posted by nurulhuda (5 posts) -

The valid template bug is cramping my style.

#28 Posted by lightning_kf (565 posts) -

Oh okay. I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one getting the same Choose A Valid Template message when I try to change or add to my stacks.

What could be the problem there?

#29 Posted by rockdawg (883 posts) -

Same problems here. This feature didn't need improving. Now it's a useless mess.

#30 Posted by Kelemonopy (8 posts) -

Concept of the feature itself I have no problems with but where can I choose a template style so that my changes are saved, I have already changed my "Games I Own" stack into the unorded format as I dont wish to asign an order to the games within it and because it was said to help further up this thread.

Also would it be possible to import my collection from raptr? as I was lead there from the old GS's Fuse.

#31 Posted by HipHopBeats (2873 posts) -

@rockdawg said:

Same problems here. This feature didn't need improving. Now it's a useless mess.

Welcome to the future. Change for the sake of change. Even if it doesn't need improving.

#32 Edited by HemanSpiderman (16 posts) -

So I hardly ever post on this site. I mainly use it as a place to keep track of my games. I know its the future & things have to change.

BUT i use to love how i could keep a list of games by release date. Also i would buy my games in order release & i was playing catch up. Along with it running slow & not letting me save.

I wish they bring back the release date tab so i can list the games in order

#33 Posted by Ovirew (6311 posts) -

Make sure you are giving your stack a name, I don't think you can save it without one.

I couldn't get any of the 5 preset stacks to let me add anything to them, but I made about 5 stacks of my own.

#34 Posted by AmazonTreeBoa (16745 posts) -

I added Heavy Rain to my stack of games I am playing and can't remove it. Every time I delete it, it doesn't delete.

#35 Edited by TigerCatBrandon (25 posts) -

I have tried adding games to the default stacks such as games I am playing, but when I click save, it gives an error message: select correct template. I don't know what that means. I just want to add games. I tried converting to an un-ordered stack (which should not be irreversible!) I was able to create a new stack ok. However, I am using the default stacks because they are easy to add to on normal game profile pages via pop up and check box.

#36 Posted by BranKetra (48120 posts) -

Please make stacks more organizable.

#37 Posted by BranKetra (48120 posts) -

Please make stacks more organizable.

#38 Edited by PumpkinBoogie (3366 posts) -

I have tried adding games to the default stacks such as games I am playing, but when I click save, it gives an error message: select correct template. I don't know what that means. I just want to add games. I tried converting to an un-ordered stack (which should not be irreversible!) I was able to create a new stack ok. However, I am using the default stacks because they are easy to add to on normal game profile pages via pop up and check box.

Yeah, I don't necessarily want to make new ones (just yet), either. I just to modify the ones already created.

#39 Posted by mahdiar_ir (34 posts) -
#41 Posted by WolfgarTheQuiet (252 posts) -

I like the new feature of stacks, just let GS team iron out the bugs, it hasnt even been a week yet, can you understand the load on the site and work on fixes, i dont like that template error, but it will get fixed, love seeing cover art of peoples game collection, much better then old plain boring list

#42 Edited by svaubel (2442 posts) -

All my previously rated games are gone, I had over 900 of them. The only thing that's left is the games I own (in a random, inefficient order that does not let me to see the scores for them) and the games I'm playing. And there is no way to easily add games to your collection, let alone save the changes. I think I'm done on this site.

Yes, I find that doing anything to your game collection now is a huge hassle compared to the old system. Not to mention changes you make to the stacks arent even saved like the popup says. Im close to not using this site anymore myself, and I can usually deal with big site changes like this. Personally I find the new GS pretty bad.

#43 Posted by Namar (40 posts) -

This new feature is annoying now, but I know if it's ironed out, it would be great!

#44 Posted by cyber_oblivion (25 posts) -

The same "Valid Template Style" issue here, but only on "games i want" stack. Collection and two others i created work just fine. So, yeah it's a bug which i'm sure will be fixed soon.

#45 Posted by Bgrngod (5732 posts) -

I like the new feature of stacks, just let GS team iron out the bugs, it hasnt even been a week yet, can you understand the load on the site and work on fixes, i dont like that template error, but it will get fixed, love seeing cover art of peoples game collection, much better then old plain boring list

Great, by all means go look at cover art all you want, but when they totally destroy the actual utility of the lists you won't be seeing a whole lot of people actually using it.

Stacks are totally and completely 100% useless for many of us that used lists on the old Gamespot.

#46 Edited by BeNOwNz (2940 posts) -

all my games that i used to follow are gone, only stack i have is the games i own.. would this bug be fixed?

#47 Posted by WolfgarTheQuiet (252 posts) -

@svaubel: geez let them sort bugs out, its not a small job, i like the stack feature instead of plain boring list, remeber when last layout launched, everyone was bitching and hating first few weeks, takes time to iron things and to get used to new things, im already used to new layout, hated it at first now think its much neater :)

#48 Posted by zarades2008 (32 posts) -

I want game scores to be displayed in stacks: Gamespot's and my. ) bring that feature back

#49 Posted by rynn21 (2890 posts) -

My ocd demands a way to properly sort game titles. It's a train wreck right now!

#50 Posted by SolidSnake35 (58095 posts) -

Lists are nicer. The quality of cover art is always inconsistent. Cropped poorly in GameSpot's case.