Stacks - ANY plans to address ANY of the issues?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by ignautius (176 posts) -

This is a serious question. I've been REALLY unhappy with "stacks" (and it doesn't seem like I'm alone) and the silence on GameSpot's behalf is deafening.

It's been... months. Months since this update, and they're still as hard to browse/hard to read/generally all around awful as they were on launch day.

So... GS... is there ANY work on these being done right now? At all? Are stacks and their issues still a conversation topic, or are we all just wasting our time trying to give feedback since absolutely nothing has changed?

#2 Posted by leon2365 (13050 posts) -

well they actually have changed something. I believe that on initial launch of the new layout, the stacks were completely unorganized, and now they are at least alphabetical. supposedly, they are working on fixing them, but who knows when the fix might roll out. all that can be said, is that they will eventually be fixed.

#3 Posted by anarayan (306 posts) -

@leon2365 said:

well they actually have changed something. I believe that on initial launch of the new layout, the stacks were completely unorganized, and now they are at least alphabetical. supposedly, they are working on fixing them, but who knows when the fix might roll out. all that can be said, is that they will eventually be fixed.

They are still not in alphabetical order. Or in any conceivable order. They are totally random as of this moment for me.

#4 Posted by beutlich99 (1098 posts) -

This is a serious question. I've been REALLY unhappy with "stacks" (and it doesn't seem like I'm alone) and the silence on GameSpot's behalf is deafening.

It's been... months. Months since this update, and they're still as hard to browse/hard to read/generally all around awful as they were on launch day.

So... GS... is there ANY work on these being done right now? At all? Are stacks and their issues still a conversation topic, or are we all just wasting our time trying to give feedback since absolutely nothing has changed?

Agreed. I'm getting sick of waiting for the stacks system to be fixed. I'm not the only one that has been complaining. I actually haven't seen a thread yet about how awesome the new stacks are. I used to check this sight several times per day. I used to organize my collection on a weekly basis as my games inventory changed. Now, I haven't changed a single stack in over a month because it is such a pain. And my overall visiting has dropped to every 3-4 days. Please please please fix the stacks.

#5 Posted by ShadowsDemon (10101 posts) -

Yes, please, please address this issue. I really want to organize my collection hassle free.

#6 Posted by ignautius (176 posts) -

Wow... crickets, GameSpot. Touche, I figured you'd at least have some paid drones come in and hack out some canned statement about how concerned you are about the experiences of your users. I make a thread about how you not saying anything doesn't help matters... and you say nothing.

Anyone else still have a bunch of games on their list in Japanese, as well? Is there any fix for THAT incoming?

Wait, wait. Let me guess:

*no reply from GameSpot*

#7 Posted by leon2365 (13050 posts) -

they're probably busy fixing bugs or doing other stuff. who knows.

#8 Posted by ignautius (176 posts) -

When I actually see any improvements in my stacks, I'll consider that as a possibility. As it stands now, my Owned Games Stack is the Japanese, unalphabatized, useless mess it was on launch day.

#9 Posted by leon2365 (13050 posts) -

last I checked, my stack was at least alphabetical. unless they screwed it up again. and stacks aren't the only things that need fixing. maybe they have their priorities bad, or there are more pressing bugs to attend to.

#10 Posted by Shmoe82 (672 posts) -

@ignautius: I don't understand the stacks at all. I don't know how the games are organized in my "owned" collection: somewhat alphabetical order with multisystems in each grouping of "alphabetical" order, Japanese names (the least issue part of the who thing) and you can't add games to the owned list from the games page. Great, 500 games, no order, can't add (even on my stacks page on my profile I can't add anything. I understand sites need to update their look and feel over time but in the last 10+yrs of me coming to the site this has been the biggest glitchiest event yet.

#11 Edited by ignautius (176 posts) -

@leon2365: My "Owned Games" Stack reads as follows:

StarCraft

Half-Life

StarCraft: Brood War

Donkey Kong 64

Unreal Tournament (Best of)

Banjo to Kazooie no Daibouken

Chrono Cross (PSOne Books)

Command & Conquer: Red Alert (Classics)

Command & Conquer: Red Alert - The Aftermath

Command & Conquer: Tiberian Sun

Diddy Kong Racing

Donkey Kong

Final Fantasy Anthology

Final Fantasy IX

Final Fantasy Tactics (PSOne Books)

Final Fantasy VII

Final Fantasy X (Mega Hits!)

Gauntlet Legends

GoldenEye 007

Star Twins

Zelda no Densetsu: Majora no Kamen (w/Memory Pack)

So... yeah. That's the first 22 entries on a stack of over 450 games. Let's not talk about how alphabetizing is "fixed". Maybe YOURS is, but the alphabetizing of stacks is NOT.

I have no idea what "PSOne Books", or "Mega Hits!" means, and I don't know what a "Densetsu" or "Daibouken" is, but I can assure you none of the stickers on any of my games contain those words. Gamespot thinks I own all this stuff, though.

(Oh, and "Star Twins" is actually a game called "Jet Force Gemini" for the N64, which I DO own)

If they're actually fixing problems, then sure, fix away. But they owe us a little update about what they're doing to make this dog-crap system eventually usable. At least let us know some specific problems you're working to address.

If there are a LOT of bugs that need fixing, and they can't get to THIS one yet... whose fault is that? Theirs? Oh, okay then, I guess they should get their mistakes taken care of then. I don't have a lick of sympathy for a team of fools that forced a broken system on the users and now feel sad because they have to deal with consequences. We're nothing but clicky-clicks to drive add revenue for these people, so all they are to me is people failing to provide a service.

If they want a pat on the back and a pep-talk for trying but failing, then their mommies should have signed up to be members instead of me.

#12 Posted by ignautius (176 posts) -

And the silence continues.

Any chance they're actually removing the stacks feature entirely and just don't want to tell us until it's done?

#13 Edited by leon2365 (13050 posts) -

who knows. all I can say is don't expect any sort of update. the ones they do give are sporadic. and that's putting it generously. all one can really do is wait, and hope that the fixes arrive sooner rather than later.

#14 Posted by beutlich99 (1098 posts) -

@leon2365: Okay fine. But WHY is it taking so long? Does GS just not have the employees to do it? Or is it just that low of a priority?

#15 Posted by leon2365 (13050 posts) -

@leon2365: Okay fine. But WHY is it taking so long? Does GS just not have the employees to do it? Or is it just that low of a priority?

who knows. lack of staff, complexity of bugs, life, it could be anything.

#16 Posted by nutcrackr (12294 posts) -

Stacks are half way to a good idea, and also broken.

I figure something like stacks should be a pretty important user function of Gamespot, but I'm just a guy who uses this site on a daily basis - what would I know.

#17 Posted by ignautius (176 posts) -

I figure something that's this broken because of a huge update would at least get a little bit of feedback from the staff.

"Hey guys! We appreciate you sticking with us, and just give us time to address the things that have been brought up!"

But no. Nothing. Silence. There's screwing up, and then there's screwing up and not caring. People can deal with the first in lots of situations... the second is a pretty tough sell, and these people at GS don't seem to care.

#18 Posted by leon2365 (13050 posts) -

they seem to be preoccupied with other matters. and slowly they are hopefully working on bug fixes.

#19 Edited by cocacolahi (11 posts) -

The stacks are a nice idea, for example I like how we now get the cover art beside the titles. But, gamespot, you really need to give us sorting options in the stacks, as well as displaying pertinent information beside the games, such as release dates, review scores, platform, etc. The extent to which I could organize my game lists was my #1 reason for coming to gamespot. Please fix, I want to like you guys...

#20 Edited by anarayan (306 posts) -

The stacks are a nice idea, for example I like how we now get the cover art beside the titles. But, gamespot, you really need to give us sorting options in the stacks, as well as displaying pertinent information beside the games, such as release dates, review scores, platform, etc. The extent to which I could organize my game lists was my #1 reason for coming to gamespot. Please fix, I want to like you guys...

Agree 100%. GS staff, please fix this.

#21 Edited by Matthew_Bester (14 posts) -

I agree the stacks are a great idea but they do need looking at. It is very slow and awkward to change one to the other.

Games "I want" quickly go to games "I own", "playing" and "played"!

Perhaps a drag and drop system instead?

#22 Posted by LJS9502_basic (149559 posts) -

I hate the new stacks. They are worthless. The old games collection was much more user friendly. No sorting at all. Doesn't seem to have any kind of system. Adding games isn't as easy. Really really not a good system.

#23 Posted by numbbaby (119 posts) -

Another voice here. I have been adding, rating and organizing my game collection on this site for longer than some of you have been alive. I never thought it would just 'go away' one day. If that long history i constructed and tweaked is not coming back, i am not sure i ever want to go thru the trouble of rebuilding it ever again. And truly, that's a shame for a hobby i've enjoyed for so long.

So yes, Gamespot, any word at all would be worth a lot. Even a way to see my list just ONE more time the way it was so i could copy it as text would mean my decades of personal gaming history is not lost in the ether.

#24 Edited by ChiefFreeman (5503 posts) -

Gamespot obviously doesn't give two craps, or they would have answered, telling us a fix was in the works. That's really telling of how far this website has fallen; they don't even bother to respond about a serious bug, in a big reporting forum. I only use this site for the occasional review now. They killed the community.

#25 Posted by leon2365 (13050 posts) -

well they did say a while ago that they were working on a fix for the stack system. though it will most likely take a LONG time for it to ever roll out.