This topic is locked from further discussion.

Kris_Reynolds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#1 Kris_Reynolds
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

Ok so I've only joined a short while ago, but I'm getting spammed with email notifications for every topic I have participated in. This is despite all notifications switched off in my account settings. My phone is going off like every minute with new notifications. Has anyone got an idea how I can stop this?

RobotOpBuddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: -3

#2  Edited By RobotOpBuddy  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 65506 Posts

Seen as this is your only post to the forums, I'm guessing you're referring to the livefyre feeds? In that case, you need to use the +follow/-unfollow buttons to toggle notifications for each feed. Previously any stream you posted a comment in was automatically followed, however that no longer appears to be the case for me (which I prefer, personally).

Basically, to avoid the massive email spam, make sure you're not following a conversation, especially when you leave it.

GS is working with Livefyre to try and rectify quite a variety of issues with them atm, and if they fail to do so in a reasonable time frame the plan is to ditch them for something else that can accommodate the user-base's needs a bit better. What exactly is going to happen should become clear around E3 time for that one, livefyre do appear to be cooperating to get things sorted now though.

s_h_a_d_o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By s_h_a_d_o
Member since 2004 • 1317 Posts

@robotopbuddy said:

Seen as this is your only post to the forums, I'm guessing you're referring to the livefyre feeds? In that case, you need to use the +follow/-unfollow buttons to toggle notifications for each feed. Previously any stream you posted a comment in was automatically followed, however that no longer appears to be the case for me (which I prefer, personally).

Basically, to avoid the massive email spam, make sure you're not following a conversation, especially when you leave it.

I've started receiving such spam also, despite having all email notifications disabled in my settings, and never enabling the "Follow" option in a feed. :|

@robotopbuddy said:

GS is working with Livefyre to try and rectify quite a variety of issues with them atm, and if they fail to do so in a reasonable time frame the plan is to ditch them for something else that can accommodate the user-base's needs a bit better.

The sooner the better, imho - I've been saying this since they first adopted this [horrible/inefficient] system. :|

staticsnake87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 staticsnake87

I'm having issues such as this as well. I think it's pretty unacceptable and is kind of making me not want to come back to this site anymore. I'm also a newer site visitor. Honestly I think Disqus would be much better.

RobotOpBuddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 RobotOpBuddy  Moderator
@s_h_a_d_o said:

I've started receiving such spam also, despite having all email notifications disabled in my settings, and never enabling the "Follow" option in a feed. :|

If you view the streams for the emails you're getting you'll likely find that they're set to follow (and therefore display -unfollow instead of +follow) though - for a while I had an issue where every time I commented in a stream it was automatically following that stream, resulting in unexpected email spam. Chances are, this is the case for you and others with this problem. As such, unfollowing manually every time you comment is still the temporary solution to it, as annoying as that is. Interestingly though, I no longer have an issue with auto-following streams, suggesting that it's merely a livefyre account setting - unfortunately livefyre is particularly poorly integrated into GS at this point in time.

@staticsnake87 said:

I'm having issues such as this as well. I think it's pretty unacceptable and is kind of making me not want to come back to this site anymore. I'm also a newer site visitor. Honestly I think Disqus would be much better.

I agree that it's unacceptable - it'll be sorted out one way or another; whether that be via livefyre fixing it or livefyre being replaced. Hopefully sooner rather than later as well.

s_h_a_d_o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By s_h_a_d_o
@robotopbuddy said:
If you view the streams for the emails you're getting you'll likely find that they're set to follow (and therefore display -unfollow instead of +follow) though - for a while I had an issue where every time I commented in a stream it was automatically following that stream, resulting in unexpected email spam. Chances are, this is the case for you and others with this problem. As such, unfollowing manually every time you comment is still the temporary solution to it, as annoying as that is.

Nope - the offending articles display "+Follow", from which I assume they are not currently followed.

Oh, and by the by, these emails are merely for users liking a comment. :|

RobotOpBuddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By RobotOpBuddy  Moderator

@s_h_a_d_o said:

Nope - the offending articles display "+Follow", from which I assume they are not currently followed.

Oh, and by the by, these emails are merely for users liking a comment. :|

I'm not getting emails for any non-followed streams, nor any for liked comments - users liking your comments on a followed article should be sending emails, but beyond that they shouldn't be. If the offending articles aren't followed when the emails are sent then there may be an issue with your livefyre account settings - only a staff member can help in that case though.

Edit: Actually, are these emails in relation to your blog streams by any chance? It's probable that the settings are different there due to you being the stream creator of sorts.

s_h_a_d_o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By s_h_a_d_o

@robotopbuddy said:

Edit: Actually, are these emails in relation to your blog streams by any chance? It's probable that the settings are different there due to you being the stream creator of sorts.

No, just articles.

@robotopbuddy said:

If the offending articles aren't followed when the emails are sent then there may be an issue with your livefyre account settings - only a staff member can help in that case though.

Why do users not have access to their own Livefyre settings? And/or why are they not tied into Gamespot notification settings?

Also, why did I not get a notification that you had responded to me in this thread (which I specifically have turned on in Settings), as per what's reported here..?

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/bug-reporting-feedback-1000006/nothing-showing-up-when-people-quote-me-31217205

RobotOpBuddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 RobotOpBuddy  Moderator

@s_h_a_d_o: I'm suddenly not getting notifications either - something appears to have broken it, however it may be temporary due to work on the feature - it was working fine for me yesterday. I'll look into it later/tomorrow if it persists.

I'm not sure why users don't have access to them, they're basically livefyre account settings, but we don't actually know any details about our livefyre accounts beyond what we can see in the streams as they're auo-created and auto-logged in based on the GS account - I'm under the impression that it's just another one of those things down to the somewhat poor livefyre integration, and as is likely already on the list of things that livefyre needs to get done if they intend to keep their place on GS.

cmyork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By cmyork
Member since 2003 • 38 Posts

Did they change the process? I used to post comments and only get replies directly to my comment. Now, I either get every comment made by every doofus or none of the comments. Is there a way to get responses or comments on my initial post?

Is this related to the livefyre issue or is that just a thing of the past. Kind of like they used to have a sectoin with blogs and commentary from the site separate from the other sections. Now I have to scroll through this nonsense no matter what I do.

larkanderson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 7

#11 larkanderson
Member since 2004 • 2227 Posts

Hi everyone,

We've been working together with Livefyre directly since late last week to fix issues with either members not receiving notifications when they should be, or receiving them when they shouldn't. This is still an ongoing issue and we're trying to get it resolved as quickly as possible.

As for control over Livefyre settings, this actually is controlled by your GameSpot user settings. One of the main issues we currently have is that right now, we're grouping together this setting with every action classified as "People talking to me." This is actually being addressed in a complete overhaul of our notifications system, which should be released this week and will allow you to control each type of notification on an individual basis.

RobotOpBuddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 RobotOpBuddy  Moderator

Thanks for all the updates Lark.

@LarkAnderson said:

As for control over Livefyre settings, this actually is controlled by your GameSpot user settings. One of the main issues we currently have is that right now, we're grouping together this setting with every action classified as "People talking to me." This is actually being addressed in a complete overhaul of our notifications system, which should be released this week and will allow you to control each type of notification on an individual basis.

I take it that this wasn't always the case (or maybe it's just been a long-standing bug affecting email notifications from them) - as I know for quite a while I had those notifications disabled but was still receiving them anyway, it wasn't until fairly recently that I stopped getting livefyre notifications. Regardless, good to know that's the case, and that a complete overhaul will be with us soon to make things clearer too.

PS: The 'content I follow is updated' notification setting isn't updating when saved atm - it's stuck on email immediately/unchecked notifications check-box. The other notification settings appear to working fine still however. As an overhaul is on it's way I imagine that will fix this anyway though.

dogwitch1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 dogwitch1

gotten spam with 795 with all setting turn off or disable. hell it took me 5 months simple to make a account. seeing when they upgrade site they broke everything and never fix it. so not happy with losing my old account and not getting spam with just about 1000 emails in 2 days