This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by stylyy (146 posts) -

Hello all,

We just pushed out a pretty large update to our front end code. The CSS in particular. You may notice some visual changes (very minor) across the site, as well as some outstanding bugs that we aimed to fix in this push. The update was purely on our front end team so if you could all please note any bugs or wonkiness you experience here in this thread. Would be greatly appreciated. Please do not waste your breath on talking about existing backend bugs and when they're going to be released, we're very aware of them and working on them.

Thank you

For those technical gurus out there, the update dealt with our upgrades to compass and ruby compilers, increasing development speed. Also, we trimmed our overall css by about ~10-15% to reduce bloat, in an effort to increase paint and rendering times.

#2 Posted by harry_james_pot (10658 posts) -

I wouldn't really call this a "minor" visual change, it looks a lot better now. Keep up the fantastic work. :)

#3 Posted by AppleFan1991 (3042 posts) -

I wouldn't really call this a "minor" visual change, it looks a lot better now. Keep up the fantastic work. :)

I second that. I think that it looks a lot more appealing. Also, I think the "Member Since" thing under the avatar for each user is a nice touch as well.

#4 Posted by Dariency (9406 posts) -

I'm digging this update, looks a lot less like GiantBomb and more like Gamespot.

#5 Posted by k2theswiss (16599 posts) -

looks little cleaners seems to run a tad bit faster in some spots

#6 Posted by angeldeb82 (1029 posts) -

This is pretty good for the new design. :)

#7 Posted by Smashbrossive50 (2882 posts) -

the new design didn't come with HTML,come on,it's been months already.I would consider this update is "incomplete",you can't make decent forums without HTML inclusion

#8 Posted by thenarzod (9 posts) -

Hello! I noticed it isn't possible to surf in the Reviews section of the site, ordered by release date. When I try to go to page 2 or more, the site loads the first review page.

#9 Posted by Gamerno66666 (161 posts) -

The site looks much better than before.

#10 Posted by TAMKFan (32732 posts) -

Nice update. It looks more like the older GS now, which is what I was hoping would happen overtime.

#11 Posted by Plo_Koon_basic (799 posts) -

the new design didn't come with HTML,come on,it's been months already.I would consider this update is "incomplete",you can't make decent forums without HTML inclusion

agreed, and most people want the old way of the Sig's, allow links and multi lines without crazy symbols and whatnot.

#12 Edited by Smashbrossive50 (2882 posts) -

@Plo_Koon_basic: the point to why HTML is important is that all things were made like magic. We can resize pictures,and embed properly-sized videos,and fonts of all size and colors. These functions should come here as soon as the site gets another "major" update.

#13 Posted by OmitName (721 posts) -
caption caption caption

glad to see small images are allowed to show up small. however the spacing around it is all cussed now. strange useless gaps, and the caption formatting is also wonky because of it.

#14 Posted by BarfHappy (1 posts) -

Just to let you know, it doesn't display properly with not up-to-date firefox. There should be a fall-back.

#15 Posted by RobotOpBuddy (65014 posts) -

To the people taking about html in forum posts: The reason this isn't included is due to security issues. On the old site there was an annoying filter system that negated most of them, but even then there was issues with html like leaking code and the filter breaking - some merely visual issues (most obviously font colour/size/etc changes, but other things could be leaked via posts as well, including completely breaking the page by ending a crucial page tag prematurely) and others severe security issues (there was a brief period (thankfully, before everyone had access to it - the hole was plugged before it was truly opened if you will) where the video embed feature allowed running literally any free code (including complex javascript, among other things) by overriding/bypassing the filter completely - obviously staff were informed and the feature was promptly disabled/removed until it was fixed, so promptly in fact that testing to see the full extent of the bug wasn't complete - it was already obvious it was severe enough to warrant removal).

So long story short: html won't be added in as a feature for everyone unless a reliable work around to the security issues it poses is found, the site simply isn't willing to risk such a thing atm - even if this does happen, it will likely involve a significant amount of automated content filtering, which will likely result in html not well formed bugs and other similar issues that the old site had that the new one is free of.

That's not to say the lack of manual html input can't be made up for mind you, even if it does mean putting up with lots of buttons on a WYSIWYG editor - at least the editor actually works, unlike the one on the old site that was more than a little buggy.

#16 Posted by leon2365 (13050 posts) -

would like a bigger input box for the text in our sigs. something like the box I am using this very second to type this message would be nice. and the only reason I mention it here is because I was never given a definitive answer on whether or not this would be implemented. seeing though, how this is supposed to be an aesthetic update, I think it classifies to be in here.

#17 Posted by R3FURBISHED (10403 posts) -

Great update, vastly improved over the first update.

One thing I've noticed though is that the Search engine can't differentiate between numbers (2, 3, 4 etc.) and roman numerals (II, III, IV etc.)

#18 Edited by anarayan (323 posts) -

Are stacks considered front-end or back-end? Any idea when there is going to be more functionality added to the stacks? Like sorting them according to platform, or release date, or rating etc?

#19 Posted by gba1989 (144 posts) -

Speaking of updates, are you guys working on the profile feeds? Just wanted to know. It could really use a "show me more" button. It's hard and time-consuming having to check each friends' blog one by one.

#20 Posted by OmitName (721 posts) -

thanks for repairing the "call someone out" thing.

#21 Posted by LarkAnderson (1714 posts) -

@anarayan: We've got a TON of fixes/improvements to Stacks coming in the next couple of weeks!

#22 Posted by LarkAnderson (1714 posts) -

@gba1989: We've also got a bunch of improvements/fixes to the user profile stream coming up in the next few weeks as well!

#23 Posted by anarayan (323 posts) -

@anarayan: We've got a TON of fixes/improvements to Stacks coming in the next couple of weeks!

Yayyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!

#24 Edited by VintAge68 (408 posts) -

@stylyy:

@stylyy said:

Hello all,

We just pushed out a pretty large update to our front end code. The CSS in particular. You may notice some visual changes (very minor) across the site, as well as some outstanding bugs that we aimed to fix in this push. The update was purely on our front end team so if you could all please note any bugs or wonkiness you experience here in this thread. Would be greatly appreciated. Please do not waste your breath on talking about existing backend bugs and when they're going to be released, we're very aware of them and working on them.

Thank you

For those technical gurus out there, the update dealt with our upgrades to compass and ruby compilers, increasing development speed. Also, we trimmed our overall css by about ~10-15% to reduce bloat, in an effort to increase paint and rendering times.

The problem for me is that since the last upgrade I cannot access my own profile page with the feeds anymore, with neither IE, FF, or Chrome. I always get the 500 Server Error:

However, I can post comments like before, to both user profiles and articles, even upload images, and there is no problem with accessing the Forums, either.

Another problem is that one doesn't get any notifications via e-mail anymore, of people having replied to one's own comments.

Thanks in advance for any advice & help!

#25 Edited by Starshine_M2A2 (4074 posts) -

That's great to hear, Lark!

Is there any word on the game updates feature being brought back with the stacks or soon after?

#26 Edited by LarkAnderson (1714 posts) -

@Starshine_M2A2: Game Follow updates are actually a completely separate feature, but it's in QA as we speak :)

#27 Posted by LarkAnderson (1714 posts) -

@VintAge68: That's a weird thing, and I'm seeing it too. I'll look into it tomorrow when I'm back in the office.

#28 Edited by VintAge68 (408 posts) -

@LarkAnderson:

@VintAge68: That's a weird thing, and I'm seeing it too. I'll look into it tomorrow when I'm back in the office.

Thanks a lot! Being able to access my own profile page again would be really great :D

#29 Edited by LarkAnderson (1714 posts) -
#30 Edited by VintAge68 (408 posts) -
#31 Edited by KLINGON (41 posts) -

When I try to play a video you have four ways you can play it auto high min low resolution. Well I can't hit the play button because these options are right in the middle of the play button. It's impossible to play the video. I'm using a iPhone 4S. Thank you for your time but please fix.

#32 Posted by MATI9630 (92 posts) -

And you still mix multi-platform games into one? A bug that shouldn't have taken place in the first place (really, common sense) is taking you literally half a year to fix?

#33 Posted by Starshine_M2A2 (4074 posts) -

@LarkAnderson: Lark, concerning these stack fixes, you now have under 72 hours to stay true to your word.

#34 Edited by beutlich99 (1106 posts) -

@anarayan said:

Are stacks considered front-end or back-end? Any idea when there is going to be more functionality added to the stacks? Like sorting them according to platform, or release date, or rating etc?

This

#35 Edited by GeminiEntity (1175 posts) -

So when can we get an update fixing the main problems, like game notifications and stacks?

Heck, surprised we still don't have profile privacy options when even social sites have that...

#36 Posted by SvV_Ying (2362 posts) -

Hopefully tracking games will work again soon. It was the reason for me to visit GameSpot over all these years.

#37 Edited by anarayan (323 posts) -

@LarkAnderson: Lark, concerning these stack fixes, you now have under 72 hours to stay true to your word.

Lol... I've been waiting with bated breath for these too!

#38 Posted by LarkAnderson (1714 posts) -

Hey all, improvements and fixes to stacks and game following are currently in testing, and we're pushing to get them out on Friday. When I'm in the office tomorrow, I'll post some screenshots of them in the thread so you can all see what's coming!

#39 Edited by harry_james_pot (10658 posts) -

Was there another update today? The profile pic and notification icon got moved to the very top, instead of being on the sticky bar thingy.

Edit: Oh, you moved the search bar as well.

@LarkAnderson said:

Hey all, improvements and fixes to stacks and game following are currently in testing, and we're pushing to get them out on Friday. When I'm in the office tomorrow, I'll post some screenshots of them in the thread so you can all see what's coming!

That's great! :D

#40 Posted by LarkAnderson (1714 posts) -