Severe lag on the "News" section

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Someguy1212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Someguy1212
Member since 2006 • 89 Posts

Just recently I have been noticing severe lag when scrolling through the pages and also when typing a comment to a news article. If you type normally the lag gets to a point where it just stops typing the message. It has been a minor issue before but now it is a severe hindrance.

RobotOpBuddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: -3

#2  Edited By RobotOpBuddy  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 65506 Posts

@Someguy1212: This sounds like it's in reference to livefyre feeds on news articles..in which case, I'm guessing this happens most on fast-moving feeds such as those on new articles, especially when there is a lot of new messages? Does it get worse the longer you're on the page without refreshing? and in turn does refreshing the page remove the lag temporarily, for longer on slower-moving feeds?

If the answer to those is yes then it's most likely due to an especially high number of comments being loaded on the page causing your browser/computer to slow down. There's not much we can really do about that unfortunately - comment feeds on articles move fast because of how many users are using them, and while they can be throttled, that would likely cause issues where messages that should be displayed don't always get displayed when submitted on busy articles - and the lag issue would probably still occur, it would merely take longer to happen.

If you're using an old/slow computer then that in itself would contribute to the problem, but due to the high volume of comments I suspect this would occur on any computer if left long enough on a fast-moving comment stream. In addition to that, there has recently been (and on-going) work to the livefyre system used on GS and it's integration into the site, which may or not be further contributing to such lag.