This topic is locked from further discussion.

SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By SolidSnake35
Member since 2005 • 58971 Posts

Is it supposed to look like this?

RobotOpBuddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: -3

#2  Edited By RobotOpBuddy  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 65506 Posts

Pretty much - the search gamespot text isn't vertically centred like it should be in your screenshot and the text is a light grey instead of a darker, practically black, colour for some reason, but the the whole white background thing is intended. The devs are aware that it's not ideal however, especially in the dark theme, and I believe stylyy mentioned he was going to play around with it a bit to try and find a good balance for both themes - that was a good 3.5 weeks ago though so it would appear that other things have taken precedence over fine tuning it so that it doesn't look out of place on either theme while still maintaining suitable visibility for the text.

SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By SolidSnake35

I can't remember there being anything wrong with the visual style of the search before... And now it looks horrid. I mean seriously.... it is utterly devoid of any style or design. That's why i thought it was broken. Oh well, keep it up, guys!

RobotOpBuddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By RobotOpBuddy  Moderator

It disappears whenever you scroll down the page and re-appears whenever you scroll up, so if it's distracting you can use that to essentially hide it at least.

SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 SolidSnake35

I can hide it by never scrolling up? O _______ O

How about making it blend in with the rest of the design, like every other website does and has done since search bars were invented?

RobotOpBuddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 RobotOpBuddy  Moderator

@SolidSnake35 said:

How about making it blend in with the rest of the design, like every other website does and has done since search bars were invented?

That's what styly was basically looking into doing a while back (mentioned it very briefly in this thread, no updates since, it's possible it's a low priority thing), I'm not sure what's happening with it though - it actually does blend in fairly well on the light theme as is, it just doesn't on the dark theme (which myself and many others always use over the light one..) I agree something needs doing about it to make it less of an eyesore on the dark theme, but the scrolling does allow you to easily hide it in the meantime, at least when not scrolling up the page (scrolling up a little more than usual then scroll down a tiny bit hides it too, though really shouldn't be necessary).

Avatar image for harry_james_pot
harry_james_pot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By harry_james_pot  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 11414 Posts

@robotopbuddy said:

@SolidSnake35 said:

That's what styly was basically looking into doing a while back (mentioned it very briefly in this thread, no updates since, it's possible it's a low priority thing), I'm not sure what's happening with it though - it actually does blend in fairly well on the light theme as is, it just doesn't on the dark theme (which myself and many others always use over the light one..) I agree something needs doing about it to make it less of an eyesore on the dark theme, but the scrolling does allow you to easily hide it in the meantime, at least when not scrolling up the page (scrolling up a little more than usual then scroll down a tiny bit hides it too, though really shouldn't be necessary).

Why not just get the old search bar and stick it on the new navigation bar? It would look something like this:

dab198

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#8  Edited By dab198
Member since 2003 • 3934 Posts

@harry_james_pot said:
Why not just get the old search bar and stick it on the new navigation bar? It would look something like this:

The general width I use for my browser window wouldn't be wide enough to support that (or it would be really tight).

Avatar image for harry_james_pot
harry_james_pot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#9  Edited By harry_james_pot  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 11414 Posts

@dab198 said:

@harry_james_pot said:

The general width I use for my browser window wouldn't be wide enough to support that (or it would be really tight).

How about this then?