This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Jer_Stryker (58 posts) -

Hi,

This has been going on for I think a couple weeks now. I first noticed it when I got about 300 Angry Birds Space walkthroughs in my RSS reader in a 3-day period.

It seems I will get the same articles maybe 3-5 times in a row every couple hours. It's kind of annoying, plus it's an extra strain on my phone's battery. I'm using Google Reader and am subscribing to the PC feed.

#2 Posted by JodyR (16412 posts) -

Hi there! I went ahead and reported this but if you would respond to the following, it would also help!

What browser are you using?

Have some links where you came across the bug?

#3 Posted by mprost (2 posts) -

Hi.

I was just about to post the same screenshot as the OP, as I'm also suffering this problem, posts arrive multiple times to Google Reader, making the RSS feed unusable. As the OP, I'm subscribed to PC news. No other RSS feed I'm subscribed to (I'm talking about other site's feeds) presents this problem.

Regarding JodyR's questions, I'm using Firefox 11.0 and I think you can reproduce the issue easily just by subscribing to this feed in Google Reader and waiting for few hours: http://www.gamespot.com/rss/game_updates.php?platform=5&type=3.

It would be really really great if you guys could fix this.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

mprost

#4 Posted by Jer_Stryker (58 posts) -

I'm using Chrome18.0.1025.152 m, but my Android phone has the Newsrob Pro app and the feed is repeating itself there as well. I don't really have any links; it's just happening in the feed. It does not seem to be every article or in the same order, which is odd. Here is what I'm seeing today:

#5 Posted by Jer_Stryker (58 posts) -

Also I tried unsubscribing and resubscribing to the feed with no affect. I had to subscribe from within Google though (via their search), because when I try to use the link to the feed on the RSS page (http://www.gamespot.com/rss/game_updates.php?platform=5), it just opens up a window full of code in Chrome.

Edit: I changed my photobucket album from public to private. Let me know if the screen shots don't show up.

#6 Posted by Scalper (437 posts) -

I'm also having the problem in Google Reader. The news stories seem to repeat from different gamespot URL's

Example: The same story will post from www.gamespot asia.gamespot uk.gamespot and au.gamespot making it show up in google reader 4x

It also started a few weeks back for me too.

Wanted to add that it happens on the following feeds from GameSpot for me so it's not just the PC news feed.

All News
All Movies
All Features
All Reviews

#7 Posted by Roach (8 posts) -
Same problem here, it's really annoying when you might receive 80 RSS feeds in one day only to have 65 of them being GameSpot repeats of an article that has popped up again for the 7th time. And 7 times for each and every article is not an exaggeration.
#8 Posted by Jer_Stryker (58 posts) -

Just wondering if anyone is actually looking into this. I'm sorry and I'm not trying to be a but, but I'm going to have to cancel my RSS feed and thus stop visiting the site until this is fixed. It's just way too annoying.

#9 Posted by The-Apostle (12144 posts) -
I get repeat feeds all the time. I don't use the GS feed, but it never really bothered me.
#10 Posted by JodyR (16412 posts) -
Thanks for checking in with what you're seeing about this bug.I've added your statements and images to the bug.
#11 Posted by Roach (8 posts) -

This is becoming extremely frustrating, I read all my RSS feeds yesterday and today I have 50 new feeds by 12pm just from GameSpot. I am receiving 4-6 copies of "every" feed. And seeing as I have subscribed to X360 & PS3 reviews, any game that is common across those platforms I am receiving 8-12 copies.

It is becoming intolerable and now has been happening easily for over a month.

#12 Posted by zwolf4444 (10 posts) -

Same thing has been happening to me for a while. Any possible fixes in the works?

#13 Posted by garywatson (1 posts) -

Hi all, I've been experiencing this problem for some time now as well. I'll need to unsubscribe from the feed if can't be resolved some time soon...

#14 Posted by KingFord (2750 posts) -

I am having the same issue. I use Chorome v.18 on the stable channel. It is just really annoying to see the same story three to four times a day at different times.

Any word on fixing it?

Thanks!

#15 Posted by mprost (2 posts) -

Could you please, at least, mark the duplicated posts as such? This way we could filter them out somehow.

It would be really helpful to have some kind of update about this issue.

Thanks.

Cheers,

mprost

#16 Posted by grackess (3 posts) -
Been having this problem on several of your feeds for a long time. Doesn't matter what platform. I see the duplication on various versions of Firefox on various PC's using Google Reader, and on both Iphone and Ipad. It is a completely frustrating and I'd like to know what is going on?
#17 Posted by elmopitt (1 posts) -

I've been seeing the same issue for at least a month or so. It got frustrating enough that I finally made it to the forums. I give it another week before I replace the feeds with another site. It's a shame, because GS is great, but I can only handle seeing the same 30 updates so many times per day.

#18 Posted by robfield (807 posts) -

I've been seeing the same issue for at least a month or so. It got frustrating enough that I finally made it to the forums. I give it another week before I replace the feeds with another site. It's a shame, because GS is great, but I can only handle seeing the same 30 updates so many times per day.

elmopitt

Eventually I did the same. I'm not going to let myself be annoyed with something that Gamespot doesn't seem willing to fix right now. Looks like I won't be visiting the site as often as I used to becuase I have replaced the Gamespot news feed. Trying to read news directly from the site isn't intuitive for me because there is no direct list of news stories I can find (unless I use the RSS page).

#19 Posted by KrossSPOT (27 posts) -
Getting the same thing with Thunderbird. Using Firefox to check the RSS, It actually looks like the feed URL cycles between the different GameSpots making the news reader get them as duplicates. Annoying, annoying indeed. #EDIT A new message filter that moves all duplicates to the trash seems to work alright. Gotta create a new header (Customize) for the filter, Content-Base and in my case check if it doesn't contain www.gamespot.com then move it to Trash.
#20 Posted by Scalper (437 posts) -

A new message filter that moves all duplicates to the trash seems to work alright. Gotta create a new header (Customize) for the filter, Content-Base and in my case check if it doesn't contain www.gamespot.com then move it to Trash.KrossSPOT
That's cool. Wish Google Reader had something like that. Until then I'm living with the duplicates(doesn't add that much time skimming through the stories).

Still would like it fixed ASAP.

#21 Posted by JaguarSkillz (1 posts) -

I'm also having this problem for PC reviews RSS using Google Reader on Chrome.

dFfEU.png

#22 Posted by will_b (1 posts) -

I'm also having this problem using Thunderbird (12.0.1), subscribed to the Xbox 360 channel. I get 3 or four repeat messages for each message over the course of 48 hours or so.

Is there a link to the bug to add support for getting it fixed quickly? I couldn't see one on the rest of the thread, but I might have missed it.

#23 Posted by Roach (8 posts) -

It's now officially coming up to 9 weeks that this problem has been around. With no response from GameSpot at all from them at least acknowledging the issue.

Remember GameSpot, for every unique view that we the readers give you, you guys make money by selling those stats to advertisers. So maybe you should start giving a damn and fix this problem.....

With E3 coming up in a matter of weeks with a mass of articles about to be written, I "will not" be subscribing to your RSS feed if this problem is not fixed by then. I do not have the time or the patience to filter out what will be approx. 250 - 350 RSS updates coming through to my reader just from GameSpot alone.

If for some reason it takes 3 or more months for GameSpot to fix a problem like this, maybe you guys should at least provide a rough estimate of when the issue will be resolved. My impression at the moment is that GameSpot will not be fixing it.

#24 Posted by grackess (3 posts) -
I have to concur with Roach above. This has been going on for weeks/months with no response. I do enjoy your feed but I'm going to have to drop it if you don't correct this problem. I simply don't have the time to sort through triplicates. Still no response, Gamespot?
#25 Posted by crouzer (8 posts) -
Look further up, GameSpot has been responding that the bug is being considered. I just wanted to add some extra information about this bug which might help you fix it: Which browser one uses is irrelevant since Google Reader looks up the feeds for you and stores all old entries. Google Reader only does this once for every feed so everyone using Google Reader is affected by this. If you subscribe to an RSS feed in Google Reader you can see all the duplicates that has occurred which gives you a heap of data which is useful for pinpointing the cause of this bug. This bug has been around for a very long time, looking at the PSP feed which doesn't have that many entries I quickly found the entry Dissidia 012: ... duplicated in March 2011. However I believe that it started getting worse, often repeating all items in the RSS, around christmas 2011.
#26 Posted by crouzer (8 posts) -
Also, this page might contain useful information: http://support.google.com/reader/bin/static.py?hl=en&page=known_issues.cs It sounds like the post GUIDs is what Google Reader looks at. If you change the GUID of an RSS item it will be considered as a new item and it will appear another time in the reader.
#27 Posted by vanti (11 posts) -
I'm also supremely frustrated by this bug. Using Google Reader (mostly in Chrome). Weeding out the duplicates is a chore. Also is there a feed that shows only GameSpot produced videos and no trailers? All I really want is On The Spot, Start/Select, It Came from XBOX Live and so on.
#28 Posted by crouzer (8 posts) -
The last 2 entries in the PC review list are currently being duplicated repeatedly: http://www.gamespot.com/rss/game_updates.php?platform=5&type=5 I downloaded the RSS generated page once before and once after the last repeating and they are identical apart from the lastBuildDate tag so it's probably an intermittent error.
#29 Posted by crouzer (8 posts) -
Good news! I wrote a python script and let it run over night, and I have now found the cause! If you look at the links for the duplicates in Google Reader you can see that they go different subdomains, e.g. http://au.gamespot.com/gas-guzzlers-combat-carnage/reviews/gas-guzzlers-combat-carnage-review-6378980/ http://www.gamespot.com/gas-guzzlers-combat-carnage/reviews/gas-guzzlers-combat-carnage-review-6378980/ http://uk.gamespot.com/gas-guzzlers-combat-carnage/reviews/gas-guzzlers-combat-carnage-review-6378980/ http://asia.gamespot.com/gas-guzzlers-combat-carnage/reviews/gas-guzzlers-combat-carnage-review-6378980/ That the links are different does not really matter, but what _does_ matter is that the links are also used as GUIDs, and that means that RSS Readers should treat them as separate items. Now please fix it. =)
#30 Posted by KingFord (2750 posts) -

Over two months old and still no fix?

Come on Gamespot, please help us out.

Thanks!

#31 Posted by KingFord (2750 posts) -

Still no update?

I guess I am going to remove Gamespot from Google Reader...great customer service.

#32 Posted by xkelly (2 posts) -

Ditto on duplicate feeds. This is happening for all platform readers and browsers I use: Chrome, Firefox, Google Reader, Reeder. I have about 40 feeds going and Gamespot is the only one that duplicates. However, I was subscribed to the PC Mag feed last year and it began to duplicate as well, so I unsubscribed.

Not that anyone cares, but I was subscribed to their email newsletter prior to trying out the RSS feeds. Right after Diablo 3 went live (coincidence?), the newsletter started showing up with nothing but game rankings: no reviews, first looks, etc. That's when I tried the RSS feeds, hoping for some love. But these dupes are killing the gamespot experience completely. I'm about to say good bye. Too bad.

#33 Posted by Scalper (437 posts) -
Still not fixed.
#34 Posted by JodyR (16412 posts) -

I have followed up with the person assigned to the bug, hopefully he can get to it next week.

#35 Posted by Veturius (11 posts) -

I can't believe this issue hasn't been resolved yet.

#36 Posted by grackess (3 posts) -
Dropping your feeds now. The inability to fix this problem (despite the fact that a post above outlined the issue/fix) is really quite weak on your part. You realize that people who follow these feeds often click over to the website on a regular basis, thus increasing overall website activity? You're losing potential traffic and ad sales by not fixing this.
#37 Posted by JodyR (16412 posts) -
This got resolved on July 12th. I've went ahead and let them know that they need to check it again. Thanks for your patience.
#38 Posted by Scalper (437 posts) -

I just did some searching and it seems to be better but not 100% fixed. As far as I can tell I'm getting news stories from www. and us. but not all the other ones so if the us. one would go away that should do it.

#39 Posted by JodyR (16412 posts) -

I just did some searching and it seems to be better but not 100% fixed. As far as I can tell I'm getting news stories from www. and us. but not all the other ones so if the us. one would go away that should do it.

Scalper
Good to know, I'll share your screenshot and feedback.
#40 Posted by JodyR (16412 posts) -

We think we figured out the problem for this bug related to international feeds making it look like we have duplicate content but we may need a little more testing to make sure things are displaying as intended. Thanks again for everyone's patience around this bug.

#41 Posted by JodyR (16412 posts) -

This bug has been resolved! :D

#42 Posted by Scalper (437 posts) -
I've been watching my feed for a couple days and the news feed(http://www.gamespot.com/rss/game_updates.php?type=3)at least is still showing two items for every one article. It's going under the domains www.gamespot.com and us.gamespot.com. I'm not 100% sure about the other feeds. I'll try and keep an eye on them and see if it's the same.
#43 Posted by JodyR (16412 posts) -

I've been watching my feed for a couple days and the news feed(http://www.gamespot.com/rss/game_updates.php?type=3)at least is still showing two items for every one article. It's going under the domains www.gamespot.com and us.gamespot.com. I'm not 100% sure about the other feeds. I'll try and keep an eye on them and see if it's the same.Scalper
I'll follow-up to let them know. Thanks.

#44 Posted by Scalper (437 posts) -
Wanted to let you know that over the last few days I haven't received any duplicate stories in the feed. So looks like this bug is fixed. Thank you to Jody and the tech people that fixed it :D
#45 Posted by JodyR (16412 posts) -
That's good to know. Thanks for checking back.