RSS Feed Blocking Issue

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Savral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Savral
Member since 2015 • 11 Posts

On July 17th, I logged into my RSS feed reader Newsblur like every other day to get the latest from Gamespot. However I started getting this error (screenshot). Waited a few days because I figured it would work itself out.

After not seeing any kind of resolution I decided to take it to the Newsblur forums. Told them I couldn't get to your RSS feed and that I emailed Gamespot about it but wanted to put it out here as well.

A few other people that also use this service added their information and finally the official representative from Newsblur chimed in.

He said that Gamespot is Banning Newsblur and that's why I was getting this message.

I'm a big fan of Newsblur and I think they do great with their RSS feeds and I myself am subscribed to a lot of feeds. Can we look into this and remove the ban or at least give me some meat to go back and speak with the Newsblur rep to fix any kind of issues you guys might have with the site. I would greatly appreciate you looking into this.

Thanks.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bf05b1a40b55
deactivated-5bf05b1a40b55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 deactivated-5bf05b1a40b55
Member since 2014 • 32 Posts

Yeah, same here. Don't understand why you're blocking readers from using Newsblur. You don't block other RSS services like Feedly or Feedbin which offer the exact same service. So why only Newsblur? This stops me from viewing all your awesome content, especially on mobile :(

Savral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Savral

Can we get a moderator or someone to take a look at this please. I have made repeated emails to Gamespot as well and have not received an answer.

rick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By rick
Member since 2013 • 913 Posts

@savral: I don't know what Newsblur is but what ever they're doing they are not playing well with us and they got blocked. We allow pure RSS readers but do not allow RSS readers that are also scrapers, i.e. they load the actual content indexed by our RSS feed. This is something that is against our Terms of Use and cannot be allowed. We're stepping up enforcement after a string of morons using scrapers to re-host our content on their servers.

If someone at Newsblur wants to get in touch with me I can talk with them about how they can play nice and be allowed in. They can contact me at edgework (at) gamespot.com

Savral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Savral

@edgework Appreciate the response. Newsblur is an excellent RSS reader. When Google went away, I did a bunch of looking around and found them and everything has been great for years now. However, when this happened, I figured I would try to figure out what's going on so i appreciate you commenting on the thread.

I am sending your information over to Samuel Clay which is the founder of Newsblur to see if we can get this resolved. Here is his page for more info : https://getsatisfaction.com/people/samuelclay

Thanks again @edgework for the response.

Savral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Savral

@edgework Email has been sent to you from what I have been told. Just a heads up. Appreciate the two of you working this out for your customers.

rick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 2

#7 rick
Member since 2013 • 913 Posts

@savral: This has been resolved.

Savral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Savral

Thank you @edgework . Appreciate your help on this.