Reviews are back....and somehow got even more screwed up

#1 Posted by Kevlar101 (6081 posts) -

So I was surprised when I saw that a handful of my reviews actually reappeared. Of course, this feeling was lost once I saw that it was even more fucked up than it was when they first disappeared.

First of all, a number of old reviews that I deleted somehow returned. I deleted them for a reason. Of course, I could just re-delete them, right? lolno. I clicked on the ones I wanted to delete (about 6 or so), and voila, each one went to an entirely different users review of a game called "Black" for the PS2. The user's name is ihatebugers. Seriously?

But the part of this that pisses me off the most, is that 90% of the new reviews that I had re-written in place of the ones that I initially deleted have disappeared.

What the hell is wrong with your programmers? Are they even educated in this? Did you pull them off the streets??? I am sick and tired of spending hours and hours of my free time writing and re-writing reviews for this site if this is how it's always going to be.

You know why i'm so angry? I take pride in my reviews. I pursue a career in gaming journalism, and these reviews are how I practice in preparation for that. If they keep disappearing, what the hell do I have to show for it? Nothing. Not a damn thing. When shit like this happens, it kills a little tiny ounce of my passion.

#2 Edited by RobotOpBuddy (65014 posts) -
@Kevlar101 said:

First of all, a number of old reviews that I deleted somehow returned. I deleted them for a reason. Of course, I could just re-delete them, right? lolno. I clicked on the ones I wanted to delete (about 6 or so), and voila, each one went to an entirely different users review of a game called "Black" for the PS2. The user's name is ihatebugers. Seriously?

This is an essentially known bug that I reported quite some time ago - basically, the fact that you're being redirected is because the review IS deleted. The problem is that links (and some of the content too) of deleted reviews still appear on other pages. That particular black review is being shown due to a product of the URL being cut off due to trying to access a deleted review (to 2200-{value removed} in a great deal of cases), and then in turn the GS URL-search feature filling in the gap (to 2200-2200, which is said review for black) from what's left. That part's not really a bug - just that the links to the deleted review, etc, shouldn't be there to begin with to trigger said process.

The bug I reported was in relation to the most helpful reviews section on game pages where a deleted review could manage to get into that spot somehow (people abusing the user upvoting feature of user reviews prior to deletion, to say the least). Of course, being deleted it shouldn't be a valid candidate for appearing there to begin with.

With this update to make (some?) old reviews appear again the visibility of that bug has merely increased (which in turn will hopefully increase the fix priority). So no need to try and delete them - they're already deleted. The bug is merely that the links and content blurbs are still visible despite that.

@Kevlar101 said:

But the part of this that pisses me off the most, is that 90% of the new reviews that I had re-written in place of the ones that I initially deleted have disappeared.

I'm guessing these are all reviews that were written on the new/current site? Any examples from memory would be useful so the devs can look into it, it's possible that the update to fix the missing reviews also managed to remove more recent ones.