RESOLVED ISSUE: Profile images from userimage.gamespot.com return! (update)

• 91 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#51 Posted by isshiah (796 posts) -

progress?

i've had a few unrelated errors in different devices so i'm quite tired of bugs right now.

#52 Posted by Pirate700 (46465 posts) -

Seriously, how hard is it for a site of this scale to fix avatars...

#53 Posted by Aquat1cF1sh (10951 posts) -
My avatar is also missing, I miss my seahorses. [/extremely helpful comment]
#54 Posted by isshiah (796 posts) -
My avatar is also missing, I miss my seahorses. [/extremely helpful comment]Aquat1cF1sh
wow, that was really inspiring, mate. lol
#55 Posted by Vari3ty (11111 posts) -

Pirate700

Or maintain some decent servers... this has gone beyond ridiculous.

#56 Posted by isshiah (796 posts) -

[QUOTE="Pirate700"]

Vari3ty

Or maintain some decent servers... this has gone beyond ridiculous.

the youtube app on xbox 360 is also down and had been messing up for a couple weeks. that is also ridiculous, but off topic.
#57 Posted by finalstar2007 (26145 posts) -

Would someone please explian to me how to upload my own avi?? the old one i had never showed up for weeks so now i was forced to pick one of the ones available on GS.

i want my own avi -_-

#58 Posted by 10-of-a-kind (117 posts) -

Sep 22nd. Days gone bye. I'm joining the missing-my-avatar carnival :?

Agree 100% with

Pirate700

#59 Posted by halBU (421 posts) -

Pirate700

I was kind of wondering the same thing. Or at the very least an update.

#60 Posted by gmax (6862 posts) -
Would someone please explian to me how to upload my own avi??finalstar2007
For those who don't want to wait for this to get resolved or otherwise addressed, it looks like it's still possible to use a third party image host that allows hotlinking like imageshack, photobucket, or similar. Upload the avatar to the image host, get the direct link to just the image itself, paste that link into the longer edit field to the right of "User Icon" on your image settings page, and click Apply Changes. The effect is often almost immediate. Make sure to do a full reload to see the effect. If it doesn't work the first time, wait a minute or so and repeat the process. This tactic can also be used for the other profile images.

#61 Posted by angeldeb82 (1117 posts) -
Thanks for the tip. My avatar now has the South Park rendition of Lance Galahad from "Brain Dead 13". Cool, huh? :cool:
#62 Posted by Horgen (111435 posts) -
Two of my sigs images, and my avatar is not showing thanks to this. :(
#63 Posted by Aquat1cF1sh (10951 posts) -
[QUOTE="isshiah"][QUOTE="Aquat1cF1sh"] wow, that was really inspiring, mate. lol

Nevermind, I brought a different one back. :P
[QUOTE="finalstar2007"]Would someone please explian to me how to upload my own avi??gmax
For those who don't want to wait for this to get resolved or otherwise addressed, it looks like it's still possible to use a third party image host that allows hotlinking like imageshack, photobucket, or similar. Upload the avatar to the image host, get the direct link to just the image itself, paste that link into the longer edit field to the right of "User Icon" on your image settings page, and click Apply Changes. The effect is often almost immediate. Make sure to do a full reload to see the effect. If it doesn't work the first time, wait a minute or so and repeat the process. This tactic can also be used for the other profile images.

Great advice! It didn't work for me the first time but I got through eventually.
#64 Posted by AtariKidX (6374 posts) -

[QUOTE="finalstar2007"]Would someone please explian to me how to upload my own avi??gmax
For those who don't want to wait for this to get resolved or otherwise addressed, it looks like it's still possible to use a third party image host that allows hotlinking like imageshack, photobucket, or similar. Upload the avatar to the image host, get the direct link to just the image itself, paste that link into the longer edit field to the right of "User Icon" on your image settingspage, and click Apply Changes. The effect is often almost immediate. Make sure to do a full reload to see the effect. If it doesn't work the first time, wait a minute or so and repeat the process. This tactic can also be used for the other profile images.

Thanks for the tip.

#65 Posted by rubber-chicken (2066 posts) -
Mine doesn't work either! :(
#66 Posted by ThisIsTwoFace (1132 posts) -

Now we have to go on other websites just to get our avatars up and showing?

This is a joke Gamespot. Don't you dare use this as a permanent solution, fix this bug because its embarrassing to say the least. Im not going on a third party or w.e it is just to be able to see an avatar.

LOLSpot.

#67 Posted by anihimz (14242 posts) -
If you guys just use imgur.com instead of GS servers for yo avys then there would be less complaining tbh
#68 Posted by isshiah (796 posts) -
If you guys just use imgur.com instead of GS servers for yo avys then there would be less complaining tbhanihimz
but we shouldn't need to weave around and be mildly inconvenienced. if my car breaks down, i can also walk to my destination, but i'd rather the situation be fixed.
#69 Posted by FelipeInside (26578 posts) -
If you guys just use imgur.com instead of GS servers for yo avys then there would be less complaining tbhanihimz
I can use my own FTP server if I wanted to, that's not the point. Any updates on this technical support?
#70 Posted by Scalper (437 posts) -
images still look to be missing or not loading that were uploaded before. But I was able to upload an avatar to gamespots servers so that looks to be working now.
#71 Posted by gmax (6862 posts) -
That's interesting. Do we know yet if all the images that used to reside on userimage are completely lost now, or will they eventually be restored? Will it be necessary to actually upload to userimage to get anything going again, or can users just wait for a restore?

#72 Posted by FelipeInside (26578 posts) -
[QUOTE="gmax"]That's interesting. Do we know yet if all the images that used to reside on userimage are completely lost now, or will they eventually be restored? Will it be necessary to actually upload to userimage to get anything going again, or can users just wait for a restore?

Mine just came back.
#73 Posted by isshiah (796 posts) -

mine returned by itself.

#74 Posted by angeldeb82 (1117 posts) -
I'm gonna test my old avatar and see if it still works. Testing... Well, what do you know? Mine came back too! Sweet! :cool:
#75 Posted by gmax (6862 posts) -
Well that's good to hear, but I'm chuckling a little to myself about my own avatar... It's so ancient I wonder if it will make the restoration. Maybe it will be among the last. Looks like everything that's being restored is being date stamped today. Edit: And *poof* - there it is. Date stamped a couple minutes ago. I guess it heard me. lol.

#76 Posted by biggest_loser (24180 posts) -
Thanks for fixing the avatars and blog comments gang! :D
#77 Posted by sexyweapons (5302 posts) -

:shock: just realized my avys back!

#78 Posted by Justforvisit (2660 posts) -

Nice that they fixed it :)

Though I've changed my now anyways.

Wish there would be some FF VIII Avi's in the FF Section of the site though.

#79 Posted by EvanescentCrow (69 posts) -

If you notice that your avatar is gone, I've reported this issue.This will occur with people who have uploaded their avatar image to our server.

JodyR
Hi. My case is related to this topic, except for the "uploaded their avatar image to our server" part. I'm simply using links to external images. Yet, when I recently posted a comment on this page: http://www.gamespot.com/features/changes-to-the-gamespot-user-leveling-system-6389154/ ...my avatar just shows up as a big "G". I've refreshed the page and all, but no go. I've changed all my images in the Options page, so I believe I should not be seeing that. Hope this is the right thread to report this. Thank you.
#80 Posted by JodyR (16412 posts) -

Let us know if you still see any missing. :)

#81 Posted by EvanescentCrow (69 posts) -
Well, the link to the image I had before was deleted, but I now used one of GameSpot's server avatars and it updated that page above, so yes, it is working. Haven't tested with an external link because I forgot to save the link and can't remember where I found it... >_< Anyway, thanks :)
#82 Posted by gmax (6862 posts) -
What are the thoughts on user video thumb nail images? It looks like avatars, banners and so on have made a fairly strong come back, but all the user video thumb nails I can find references to still return 404s. This affects the various listings of user videos in profiles as well as the user video indices, like this one. Evidently there are also references on the pages of individual videos, but the more serious problem there would seem to be that references to deliver_user_video.php (on userimage) are also failing, so the videos don't play. I'm skeptical that I'm the only one seeing this, but I guess anything is possible...

#83 Posted by IceAxe18 (608 posts) -
Well my profile image still wasn't showing, so I used one of gamespot images from the catagory selection today.
#84 Posted by Avenger1324 (16344 posts) -
I assume the return of this is linked to last nights problems? I still haven't changed my profile pic since before this was a problem first time round, so still hosted somewhere on Gamespot.
#85 Posted by gmax (6862 posts) -
I meant to bump this thread last night after noticing that everything (avatars, et al) from userimage was returning a 404 again. We may not get past that "RESOLVED" title though, so a new thread (with a link to this one) might not be out of the question...

#86 Posted by K-E316 (1651 posts) -

Oh the horror! I'm faceless.:(

#88 Posted by IceAxe18 (608 posts) -
I noticed when I clicked on updates, because I had 1 update, and when I got to that page I noticed my avatar doesn't appear on that page.
#89 Posted by Venom_Raptor (6958 posts) -

Avatar and profile banner have disappeared... again.

#90 Posted by Justforvisit (2660 posts) -

Yup, has become worse again.

Another workaround would be, just choose an avatar image directly from GS for now. They work.

Yeah yeah, not so individual, I know.

#91 Posted by CrimsonBrute (24074 posts) -
I noticed when I clicked on updates, because I had 1 update, and when I got to that page I noticed my avatar doesn't appear on that page.IceAxe18

There is a thread about this.