Resolved: Comments broken on Firefox

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Acheron18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Acheron18
Member since 2004 • 204 Posts

I'm using Firefox and since a week or two I can't see the comments for any articles. It used to work fine but now I get nothing. I've tried using IE instead and then I can see the comments without any problems.

I am running Ad Block Plus but have disabled it for GameSpot. I'm also using NoScript but even if I allow all scripts on the page the comments still wont appear. By the way, do you really need to run 37 different scripts on your site? I've counted them and it literally is 37.

Edited by Admin 4/10/08:52AM PT.

RobotOpBuddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: -3

#2  Edited By RobotOpBuddy  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 65506 Posts

The only scripts needed for GameSpot functionality I believe are those from gamespot.com (obviously) and then there's an ajax.googleapis.com one for the WYSIWYG editor used for the forums and there's livefyre.com and gamespot.fyre.co (NoScript will probably just show fyre.co) scripts for the Livefyre-powered article comments - at least until the comments system is replaced, anyway. I'm pretty sure the rest are unnecessary for functionality purposes, though many are probably used for tracking/analytics and similar.

Note that one of the livefyre ones (the fyre.co one) won't even attempt to run until the other (livefyre.com) is ran successfully and as such won't even appear as an option to allow in NoScript until after it has been allowed and the page refreshed.

Some ABP filters may block livefyre, but the standard easylist definitely doesn't - if it's disabled on GS and ads are appearing for you then I doubt it's causing issues mind. Are you running any other content/script blockers? Have you installed or changed the settings for any add-ons since they were last working for you? Has your antivirus installed an add-on in your browser? they typically block content/scripts as well and rarely give any feedback to the user when they do so, though it really shouldn't be blocking livefyre to begin with if that is the case.

It's probably worth trying the restart with add-ons disabled option (under help/?) as a quick test to see if an add-on is the cause to start with and use trial and error to figure out which one is causing the issue - remember to select start in safe mode, not reset Firefox, after it reboots in safe mode. This way you can re-enable everything just by closing and reopening Firefox.

PS: They load fine for me with ABP (only the most basic filter list though) and NoScript (with scripts from the 4 above mentioned (sub)domains specifically allowed) in FF.

rick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 2

#3 rick
Member since 2013 • 913 Posts

Running a browser with NoScript is like driving without tires. You're secure because you can't get anywhere. We're really not going to support any use of it or any ad blocker. Even if its disabled. Out of box Firefox runs the site just fine and that's what we support.