Rate game message "You are not allowed to create a review"

This topic is locked from further discussion.

levkov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 140

User Lists: 1

#1 levkov
Member since 2003 • 88 Posts

When I try rate games like "Dark Souls 2" or "Transistor" I got red message "You are not allowed to create a review". "Bioshock Infinite" rated correctly. I'm not new user.

RobotOpBuddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: -3

#2 RobotOpBuddy  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 65506 Posts

The site currently considers any user with less than 25 posts to be a 'new user', which will be why - it seems a bit silly looking at how long ago your account was made to say the least, but that's just how the system is set up.

On the upside, if you make just 3 more posts (or anything else that counts as a post, for that matter - note that article comments don't due to using livefyre) that restriction will go away.

levkov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 140

#3 levkov
Member since 2003 • 88 Posts

Thx :)

Perth2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 133

User Lists: 0

#4 Perth2008
Member since 2008 • 216 Posts

Yup, that is quite a funny restriction given levkov's tenure. Most of my forum posts have been since the site revamp!

Fistan87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#5  Edited By Fistan87
Member since 2011 • 62 Posts

So what we should spam the forums to be able to rate? Not very smart

RobotOpBuddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 RobotOpBuddy  Moderator

Well, you can also only post 5 times in any 24 hour period until you have 25 total as well, so spamming won't speed it up in the slightest - on the contrary it risks getting banned as a spam account for actual new accounts, normally long before the restriction is raised, so there's no benefits of spamming to try and get past it faster. It's pretty easy to make 5 submissions a day for 5 days too really, as several other things count - I believe reviews, blogs and creating a new stack count for instance (or at least did, there's been many changes since I last checked).

It's not without it's downsides, particular for users that prefer to only post when they have a significant amount to put into a post and for those that want to put up several reviews during that period that they have less than 25 total posts. It does help to limit the abuse of alt accounts designed purely for spamming the boards with inappropriate content however.

DariusRW1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#7 DariusRW1990
Member since 2010 • 39 Posts

I had that same problem and I couldn't rate my favorite games. How do I rate a game without getting the error message?

stoxos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 66

#8 stoxos
Member since 2004 • 101 Posts

The same here but whene i actualy did rate tha game and the site let me to do so, my rating never apired at my stackes and when i returned to see the game my rate disappeared

digitaldame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By digitaldame
Member since 2006 • 5401 Posts

Unfortunately this is a classic case of the some ruining it for the few. There was a point where users were able to create reviews at their leisure regardless of how long they had been on the site. However, this resulted in numerous false reviews being posted and at times.

As a forum lurker myself, I do agree that this is a sub optimal means of gating the community from malicious intent and will be something that I will bring up with the team after E3. If you have any suggestions (other than removing the gate entirely I'm happy to hear them.

RobotOpBuddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 RobotOpBuddy  Moderator

@stoxos said:

The same here but whene i actualy did rate tha game and the site let me to do so, my rating never apired at my stackes and when i returned to see the game my rate disappeared

Ratings that aren't reviews are currently hidden/filtered out from the page, to be dealt with after E3 with a revision of the ratings&reviews page, see LarkAnderson's post here.