questioin about malware on GS

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by jrabbit99 (2835 posts) -

when i try to visit some people's profiles this warning comes up

Warning: Visiting this site may harm your computer!The website atwww.gamespot.comcontains elements from the sitecdn1.eyewonder.com, which appears to host malware – software that can hurt your computer or otherwise operate without your consent. Just visiting a site that contains malware can infect your computer.For detailed information about the problems with these elements, visit the GoogleSafe Browsing diagnostic pagefor cdn1.eyewonder.com.Learn more about how to protect yourself from harmful software online.Is gamespot infected?

#2 Posted by kemar7856 (11506 posts) -

game spots evil plan to infect our pcs?

#3 Posted by topsemag55 (19063 posts) -

It certainly did not come from GameSpot, as I never viewed what you have seen.

Try going to other favorite websites and see if you get a similar "warning".

I'm running Vista-64, IE 8.0, with Prevx 3.0 for anti-malware. My system is secure, and I ran a scan just to be doubly sure.

#4 Posted by spazzx625 (43432 posts) -
Usually stuff like that pops up because of someone's hosted avatar/signature. Can you post a link to the page you are getting the errors on next time?
#5 Posted by RockMFR (2841 posts) -
eyewonder is one of the ad providers for GameSpot. This isn't caused by user content.
#6 Posted by gmax (6861 posts) -
Heh. Well, eyewonder is just a distributor of advertising. Whether advertising is in itself malware might be debatable. Some "legitimate" advertisers have unwittingly been duped into distributing corrupted images that were, in fact, malware vectors. (Including google, btw.) Some image hosts have had similar problems. So avatars, signatures, and ads frequently trigger these kinds of reports from reactionary "security" programs. I don't recognize this security program, but the mention of google makes me think it's theirs, in which case it comes off as google throwing rocks at another advertiser. Kind of amusing, in a pot and kettle name-calling kind of way... That said, actually blocking ads is more than a convenience - it's a good security practice. If this is ever widely realized (and acted on) the internet will again see major changes. In the mean time, it might be worth investigating blocking techniques that are effective at blocking without the prolific and disruptive in-your-face alerts that many programs are fond of.
#7 Posted by kemar7856 (11506 posts) -
#8 Posted by tojo2000 (1 posts) -

This was probably triggered by the fact that they've been known to have their popups launched by malicious adware in the past: http://gladiator-antivirus.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=22308

I have no idea whether their popups were being used by someone else to make money, or if they were doing it, but I suspect that's how they got flagged.

#9 Posted by RockMFR (2841 posts) -
#10 Posted by CPM_basic (4247 posts) -

I got the same thing and immediatelly logged out of GS. I googled gamespot malware and got this thread... Gamespot should do something. Even if it's considered "safe" or whatever I don't feel comfortable with my browser telling me that the website I'm on is UNSAFE and distrubutes MALWARE!!

#11 Posted by netzed_z (1 posts) -
I found information. It looks like the issue was mostly Google's fault. www.eyewonder.com (the home page, not the ads) was a victim of a Coldfusion CMS hacking attack which is circulating the web and taking down many sites. Apparently, this only affected their home page but Google went and blocked all eyewonder.com domains unecessarily, bringing down a lot of sites. Google needs to be more careful. You can verify this by doing a traceroute that cdn1.eyewonder.com (their ads) is not the same server as their home page, so it was not necessary to block more than www.eyewonder.com See here: http://blogs.zdnet.com/security/?p=3694
#12 Posted by CPM_basic (4247 posts) -
[QUOTE="netzed_z"]I found information. It looks like the issue was mostly Google's fault. www.eyewonder.com (the home page, not the ads) was a victim of a Coldfusion CMS hacking attack which is circulating the web and taking down many sites. Apparently, this only affected their home page but Google went and blocked all eyewonder.com domains unecessarily, bringing down a lot of sites. Google needs to be more careful. You can verify this by doing a traceroute that cdn1.eyewonder.com (their ads) is not the same server as their home page, so it was not necessary to block more than www.eyewonder.com See here: http://blogs.zdnet.com/security/?p=3694

[QUOTE="netzed_z"]I found information. It looks like the issue was mostly Google's fault. www.eyewonder.com (the home page, not the ads) was a victim of a Coldfusion CMS hacking attack which is circulating the web and taking down many sites. Apparently, this only affected their home page but Google went and blocked all eyewonder.com domains unecessarily, bringing down a lot of sites. Google needs to be more careful. You can verify this by doing a traceroute that cdn1.eyewonder.com (their ads) is not the same server as their home page, so it was not necessary to block more than www.eyewonder.com See here: http://blogs.zdnet.com/security/?p=3694

Thanks. So is it safe to continue browsing gamespot once I get this message? Or should I immediately log off the website?
#13 Posted by jrabbit99 (2835 posts) -
Usually stuff like that pops up because of someone's hosted avatar/signature. Can you post a link to the page you are getting the errors on next time?spazzx625
ill try