Profanity on Comment Threads

This topic is locked from further discussion.

shufu7-11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 0

#1 shufu7-11
Member since 2006 • 943 Posts

This isn't something that happens on the forums, but it does happen quite often in the comment sections of features and news articles. People use profanity without consequence or moderation. Last time I checked, profanity violated the terms of use.

I have been a member of this site since 2006, and this has never been a problem untill recently. I used to love being to come here and talk about my love for games in a safe clean environment, but I'm starting to feel this isn't the case anymore. Is there some reason this type of stuff isn't being cracked down on? Can we not have a system put in place on comment threads that prevent users from posting profanity like so many other web sites do?

CrimsonBrute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#2 CrimsonBrute  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 25603 Posts

Then i guess it has been a while since you've seen the ToU. It was changed a while ago. I assume the changes affect the whole site including comments.

Asagea_888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 193

#3 Asagea_888
Member since 2008 • 430 Posts

I personally don't agree with (nor do I like) the changes of the ToU, but yes, it's been revised so that most forms of profanity are allowed.  In the forums, it can be used as long as at least one letter is obscured so that the entire word isn't spelled out.  Unfortunately, the comment sections are fair game and I've seen a LOT of liberal uses of F-Bombs. 

dab198

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#4 dab198
Member since 2003 • 3934 Posts

I personally don't agree with (nor do I like) the changes of the ToU, but yes, it's been revised so that most forms of profanity are allowed. In the forums, it can be used as long as at least one letter is obscured so that the entire word isn't spelled out. Unfortunately, the comment sections are fair game and I've seen a LOT of liberal uses of F-Bombs.

Asagea_888

That's not correct either. We don't touch censor bypassing at all now (as long it's not too extreme); you can go spell the entire word if you want. The only difference is that the comment system doesn't have the curse-word filter in place prior to posting (it just wasn't removed from the code when the ToU changed), which is why you see it more often in the comments.

iowastate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#5 iowastate
Member since 2004 • 7922 Posts

whether or not you agree with it 'potty mouth' is no longer against the ToU