Post history page suggestion, or an explanation as to why it is the way it is...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

I keep track of all my posting history through a bookmark. Whenever I wish to see replies/new posts I hit it and the page comes up, showing the respective threads I've posted in and a number to the right indicating how many new posts there are. The thing is, it is unnecessarily cluttered because if I'm having a long debate with someone, each of my replies creates a new thread in the history. I make thirty replies, and the entire first (or second, or third) posting history page shows only that thread. This requires me to scroll pages through pages if I don't wish (or have already seen) all the posts I want to in one thread and am curious about others. Now take into account that I'm having numerous discussions in many threads, and it's not long before my history is filled with dozens of pages for only a few threads I'm posting in.

This makes no sense whatsoever. Why not just have all the new posts just be in one thread in my posting history? Then twenty threads could appear in one posting history page instead of ten being spread out over forty, especially if I'm having a lengthy debate. I hope I'm explaining this well, I'd post a pic if I knew how to take a screenshot. Maybe there's a particular reason behind this but I can't see one that's in any way beneficial. It makes keeping up on posts that are not that recent difficult because they quickly get pushed down to page thirty of my history if I'm in heated discussion in only ONE thread. It's user-unfriendly, burdensome, inconvenient, and very inefficient.

Also, it seems that many of my posts in the history are not in chronological order. Any reason behind this as well?

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 MirkoS77

Anybody?

digitaldame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#3 digitaldame
Member since 2006 • 5401 Posts

Sorry for the delay in response. 
So I'd like to start off with saying thank you for your honest feedback, it's something that we not only encourage but appreciate.

Now onto the meat of the matter, I'm curious what you would -specifically- like to see as far as this kind of feature is concerned.  

JodyR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 JodyR
Member since 2005 • 16454 Posts

Thanks for your feedback, we'll definitely consider it for the site rebuild. In the meantime, don't forget that you can find all of your previous contributions in the forums by going to your profile and looking them up. Here's a former tip about that very same topic. 

Forum Posting 3 

Refernce the NEW column. 

Forum Posting 2 

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 MirkoS77

Sorry for the delay in response. 
So I'd like to start off with saying thank you for your honest feedback, it's something that we not only encourage but appreciate.

Now onto the meat of the matter, I'm curious what you would -specifically- like to see as far as this kind of feature is concerned.  

Synthia

Thanks for the reply.

This is what I mean: this is my posting history page 2 (screenshot taken a bit before halfway down as that's where all the duplicates start):

There are six duplicate threads about Iwata, two on Nintendo posting losses, and two Ni No Kuni threads. 

Below is an example I made in MS Paint showing how many topics could fit in one page if duplicates were not there. This is compiled from about 2-3 pages of my history, all now in one page, and I still had room to scroll down to include about 4-5 more threads.

This may not seem like a big deal, but when I'm responding only in, say, the "Iwata may resign" thread, the first page (and probably more) would be flooded with only that thread and all the other topics would be in pages 3-5 on or worse.

The only way I can think of why it is like this is to make it easier for a user to find a specific post of theirs/another's if they want to reference or cite it for counterpoints, pointing out contradictions, etc.  I can understand this, but here's my suggestions:

• create a sub-folder directory for each thread so that the user can simply click on a specific thread in their main history page (which would still show new posts, as it does now) and it would then take them to another page which shows all the respective posts for only that thread.  That's all that's needed.  Organized, efficient, and it unclutters the main history page of all duplicates. Exactly like how Windows Explorer organizes its relevant files from one main folder into sub-folders.  Except there'd be only one sub-folder per thread.
  • in addition, include a search engine within this sub-folder that allows searching for keywords in a post, sort by user(s) who posted, date, time, etc.

This would make keeping track of everything so much easier.  I hope this helped explain what I'm thinking of, and thanks for listening.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 MirkoS77

Thanks for your feedback, we'll definitely consider it for the site rebuild. In the meantime, don't forget that you can find all of your previous contributions in the forums by going to your profile and looking them up. Here's a former tip about that very same topic. 

JodyR

All of the images are broken in that help thread.  I'll look for a way to track a discussion, but then I have to remember to track/delete it?