Please make the Euro-Sign work

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Justforvisit (2660 posts) -

For real, $ and Pound are working perfectly fine, but the european Currency just disappears.....pretty annoying.

#3 Posted by michaelP4 (16680 posts) -
The pound sign doesn't work for me - I always get an HTML error when I try to use it.
#4 Posted by gmax (6862 posts) -
That's interesting. I didn't know the pound sign still caused trouble... Let's see... £1000000. No problem there. Hmm... The Euro sign does just disappear, I'm assuming as described. When I attempt to embed a literal Windows-1252 Euro sign character (x80) in a forum message and send it to the servers for preview or spell checking, the character gets sent to the servers, but the content filters remove it. HTML entities are no help either, I suspect because of how entities are processed and characters are subsequently filtered. I was composing a long message about Windows-1252 vs. ISO-8859-1 and related browser issues, the observed behavior of the content filter here, and ways the content filter might in theory be altered to address the concern. Unfortunately, the potential implications are deep and far reaching, so I don't think any of that is going to help. With new development underway it doesn't seem very likely this will gather enough priority to get anything changed, so I'll cut straight to workarounds. In the body of a forum message there are basically two kinds of workarounds. The first would be to create a small character-sized image of the Euro sign, host it somewhere, and include the image in your message wherever you needed it. You'd want to double check that the image looks ok on both the light and dark backgrounds of the site. The second would be to use some sort of obscene abomination like this: C=99,95!!! This offers the potential advantage of automatically adapting to the selected site skin, but as workarounds go it may not really be that palatable. Your call. In a topic title there is no real workaround other than perhaps to use the EUR three-letter code. It's official, I guess, but not concise. I run into essentially a similar problem with other symbols once or twice a year. The last one was a double arrow. The entities just disappear. We can only hope that a future site will be character-clean enough to allow unicode and/or entities, within reason. I guess we'll see.

#5 Posted by michaelP4 (16680 posts) -
There was a time it didn't work in messages, appears to be fixed now. But definitely for topic titles it's not: I try to post: £1000 example I get this: &*pound*;1000 example (no stars at the start, only put them in there so it doesn't produce a pound sign) Error message: - Topic titles cannot contain non-ASCII characters. That may be standard across message boards though, but there is definitely trouble with posting the £ sign in topic titles for one reason or another.
#6 Posted by JodyR (16412 posts) -
[QUOTE="michaelP4"]There was a time it didn't work in messages, appears to be fixed now. But definitely for topic titles it's not: I try to post: £1000 example I get this: &*pound*;1000 example (no stars at the start, only put them in there so it doesn't produce a pound sign) Error message: - Topic titles cannot contain non-ASCII characters. That may be standard across message boards though, but there is definitely trouble with posting the £ sign in topic titles for one reason or another.

We fixed this bug in early October. I'm not sure we should be spending too much time on ASCII characters because we're rebuilding the site and this may all be fixed in the new code.
#7 Posted by michaelP4 (16680 posts) -
Exactly, it's no big deal - there are textual abbreviations anyway - GBPs and euros respectively.