Notifications of news of followed games

This topic is locked from further discussion.

JRHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 JRHT
Member since 2004 • 66 Posts

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I'm just a bit lost after the redesign of the site.

When following a game, will news updates about that game turn up as notifications?

shookroon360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#2 shookroon360
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

I dont get it either becuase I dont get any news in "notifications" and not in the email..
Did gamespot stop sending newsletters?

digitaldame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#3 digitaldame
Member since 2006 • 5401 Posts

I'll look into this. Could you provide some examples of the games that you are following?

Makana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Makana
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts

I'm also not receiving any tracked updates by email anymore, nor any notifications on this website. I believe you can see my list of about 500+ tracked games at http://www.gamespot.com/profile/Makana/following/ . This list includes current games such as Star Citizen, World of WarCraft, StarCraft II, Diablo III, and Guild Wars 2. Until the site was redesigned I rarely went more than a day or two without at least one email from GameSpot. Now I haven't received an email (not even the newsletters I was subscribed to, let alone the amazingly awesome tracked updates) since October 9.

Is this a known bug?

beutlich99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

#5  Edited By beutlich99
Member since 2006 • 1129 Posts

I second this motion. The only "notifications" I've been getting are about people that have quoted/responded to a forum post of mine. While cool, I would also like to be getting notifications on the games I'm tracking. That was/is a huge reason why I became a GS user in the first place a decade ago.

JRHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 JRHT

I've gotta agree with @beutlich99 - the notifications with news items are one of the two main reasons I visit Gamespot (the other being some of the video series that are produced).

The list of games I follow can be found here: http://www.gamespot.com/profile/JRHT/following/

I never got emails like @Makana, but I really would like the notifications back.

quartet1977

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 quartet1977
Member since 2006 • 28 Posts

I'm having the same problem. I haven't received a notification about the games I'm following since the redesign launched. Very frustrating, as the notifications are what keep me checking the site on a frequent basis. Without them, I'm less inclined to visit every day. Thanks.

Makana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Makana

@quartet1977 said:

I'm having the same problem. I haven't received a notification about the games I'm following since the redesign launched. Very frustrating, as the notifications are what keep me checking the site on a frequent basis. Without them, I'm less inclined to visit every day. Thanks.

Same here. Those emailed updates/notifications are the main thing that have been driving me to the site since I signed up in 2003. Now the only thing keeping me coming is to check these forums for signs of hope...

BackWardz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By BackWardz
Member since 2004 • 113 Posts

I'm in the same boat as everyone else. I haven't gotten one update on any of the games I'm following. There is noting in my feed/notifications. As others have said getting updates on the games I'm following is a big reason why i love coming to this site everyday.

Starshine_M2A2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#10 Starshine_M2A2
Member since 2006 • 5593 Posts

Also receiving no notifications beyond those from friends activity.

Also, do games actually have to be selected as followed since the new site was launched or does it provide updates from what's in your stacks? If it's the latter, I have 349 games in my 'owned' stack and aren't receiving updates for any of them. If it's the former, I can't do anything about that since I have to delete them from my stack in order to be able to follow them again. Which a lot of people can't do at the moment.

Peets83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 Peets83
Member since 2005 • 78 Posts

Same here, no feed what so ever of any games. Even new ones I have added. Very frustrating.
So far the site has been going downwards the last year...

greasemonkey42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 3

#12 greasemonkey42
Member since 2004 • 2999 Posts

I would also REALLY like to know what is going on with game updates...getting updates on games is the biggest reason why I come to GS for nearly 10 years, and currently it is monumentally broken/non-existent.

Are they supposed to appear in our feed? I have seen news stories on games I follow but haven't shown up there (eg. Battlefield 4, Titanfall). In fact, nothing is showing up on my feed except forum posts.

Also having a drop-down list of all the games you follow when you hover over your login on the top right of any page was the most useful feature on this site. I could jump to any game I was following instantly, from anywhere. What could possibly be the reason for taking out this excellent feature???

There is so much focus on community stuff and side-line features that the simple basics of following your favourite games have somehow been lost in the transition.

orion124

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By orion124
Member since 2004 • 58 Posts

@greasemonkey42 said:

I would also REALLY like to know what is going on with game updates...getting updates on games is the biggest reason why I come to GS for nearly 10 years, and currently it is monumentally broken/non-existent.

Are they supposed to appear in our feed? I have seen news stories on games I follow but haven't shown up there (eg. Battlefield 4, Titanfall). In fact, nothing is showing up on my feed except forum posts.

Also having a drop-down list of all the games you follow when you hover over your login on the top right of any page was the most useful feature on this site. I could jump to any game I was following instantly, from anywhere. What could possibly be the reason for taking out this excellent feature???

There is so much focus on community stuff and side-line features that the simple basics of following your favourite games have somehow been lost in the transition.

^Exactly this. I am also not receiving any updates from tracked games, and would LOVE the return of the drop down list.

aragorn1111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By aragorn1111

Hear, hear! I haven't received a single Followed email, nor my subscriptions to Reviews for PC & PS3.

Please advise. This is only marginally more enraging then the removal of my Games Lists. And don't tell me the were replaced by stacks; the lists are gone. >^(

JRHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 JRHT

@DigitalDame - Has there been any progress on this issue?

Peets83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16 Peets83
Member since 2005 • 78 Posts

Not even feedback? I find myself coming less and less... sad.

deflime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deflime
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

Wow really?

@orion124 said:

@greasemonkey42 said:

^Exactly this. I am also not receiving any updates from tracked games, and would LOVE the return of the drop down list.

Umm.. this.. it's the main reason I show up on a regular basis, to (once was) EASILY check latest news about games..

APizzo667

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 APizzo667

So it seems notifications are solely for friends activities and not games? Ugh...but I am sure no one here wants really wants to know about what I am up to more than than the release date / rating / latest news for a game. Can someone tag me or whatever its called so I know if someone actually reads this. If this issue wasn't "fixed" by now, I might have to believe that it was made that way by design to get you to meander through GameSpots pages more to get you were you want to go.