This topic is locked from further discussion.

roganth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By roganth
Member since 2006 • 282 Posts

I am following more than 70 games on gamespot, and enjoyed frequently checking for updates on my watched games.

Since the change to the new system can you guess how many notifications I have got over 70 games?

Zero, yes that is right not a single update on any of my watched games despite several of them being released and reviewed and numerous articles written.

It makes the follow game function of gamespot useless, and now only IGN has a functional system.

Is this being worked on?

leon2365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2  Edited By leon2365
Member since 2006 • 13096 Posts

no one is getting updates on followed games. it is being worked on, but it may take time.

leon2365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 leon2365

all we can do is wait for them to get around to it.

Avatar image for Smashbrossive50
Smashbrossive50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 Smashbrossive50
Member since 2009 • 3915 Posts

@GeminiEntity said:

But I thought this whole site update was so things would be easier to fix since the old site was a mess.

not exactly,in fact,it's the other way around,the Old Site has everything that worked properly,the new site however,is the mess,I wish this will be solved before mid-January 2014

leon2365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 leon2365

@GeminiEntity said:
@leon2365 said:

But I thought this whole site update was so things would be easier to fix since the old site was a mess. Given how long it's taking for things to get fixed, doesn't seem all that easier.

IGN is looking better by the day. At least with IGN I won't miss out a whole month of gaming news...

it may be, but gamespot is focused on the launch of the new consoles right now. so they are busy with that ATM.

leon2365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 leon2365
@GeminiEntity said:

@Smashbrossive50 said:

@GeminiEntity said:

But I thought this whole site update was so things would be easier to fix since the old site was a mess.

not exactly,in fact,it's the other way around,the Old Site has everything that worked properly,the new site however,is the mess,I wish this will be solved before mid-January 2014

I meant the actual code for the site. The old site was apparently not user friendly for the coders, and this new site was supposed to fix that. However, given the time it's taking to fix things, doesn't seem like it's any better.

@leon2365 said:

@GeminiEntity said:
@leon2365 said:

But I thought this whole site update was so things would be easier to fix since the old site was a mess. Given how long it's taking for things to get fixed, doesn't seem all that easier.

IGN is looking better by the day. At least with IGN I won't miss out a whole month of gaming news...

it may be, but gamespot is focused on the launch of the new consoles right now. so they are busy with that ATM.

Perhaps they are now, but what about during the beta and when the site first rolled out? Also, why roll out a site during a hectic time if you can't control it?

Not too mention I find it hard to believe that all of Gamespot is busy with the new consoles. Pretty sure employees have certain duties just like other jobs, so not all should be tied up with one thing.

but with the site being riddled with as many bugs as it has, cant help but think they want to focus as much as possible on the consoles to come up with a game plan for this.

leon2365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 leon2365

im not excusing it at all. something definitely needs to be done. though we don't know what gamespot is like. for all we know, they could be understaffed, or running on minimum staff. also, we don't know how complex the coding for this site could be. coders might be working on the notifications and adding games as we type. but the problem may be more complicated than we think, and that may be the reason its taking so long to get a fix out. not to mention that there are most likely more important bugs to attend to at the moment.

leon2365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 leon2365

and im not trying to change it either. all im saying is that its not like they are just completely sitting around doing nothing. they are busy people. they have lives as well as we do. and I am simply stating things what could be happening. you want no "excuses" or "dismissals," then here it is: they aren't just sitting around doing nothing. we don't know what they are doing for the site, or what has them pre-occupied to not even reply to these threads. all you can do is wait.if you don't want to wait, then that's your problem, not anyone else's. "coulda, shoulda, woulda." no amount of saying "they should have waited" or "why did they rush it" or even "the site is horrible right now" will change what is already done. it is what it is. roll with it or don't, that's on you.

leon2365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 leon2365

well if you want to take it all as excuses, then that's fine. cant change that. and the parts about sitting around and changing things that are done, weren't directed at anyone in particular. just think that people shouldn't complain so much about gamespot's decision on when to release the site publicly. it seems like people think that the gamespot staff is just sitting around rather than working. and I just tell people to wait because that is all anyone can do towards getting a fix for these bugs. also, by all means people should complain about the bugs. though I don't think any amount of complaining will make too much of a difference on when the fixes get rolled out. constructive criticism might work better, but even then, that would only work towards recognizing the bugs more than the time for when the fixes roll out.

as for my "wait attitude," and "taking unacceptable stuff," the site is perfect for me. everything that I use this site for is completely acceptable.its far from perfect or ideal, but for what I do, and what is out as of this moment, it is completely acceptable and useable. it can, and will, get MUCH better. at the moment though, it is fine. so im not really "taking unacceptable stuff." unacceptable to you maybe, but not to me.

leon2365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By leon2365

like I said before, "by all means, people should complain about the bugs," and I stand by my opinion that it wont get the fixes rolled out any faster. I am in no way against people complaining. I may not hold any official status when it comes to gamespot, or any power whatsoever in getting fixes rolled out any faster, but I do think that at least seeing someone posting consistently on this board makes a difference. it may be infinitesimally small, but (im at least hopping) it makes a positive difference. though if anyone does feel that my posting here doesn't really do anything positive, or is even negative in away way, I will gladly just stop posting all together. the whole reason I decided to consistently post here was to make it a positive environment, not a more negative one. so if you do feel I am not doing any good here, I am truly sorry. just let me know and I will leave this board.

as for the standards point, I haven't ever really used any other site for game related content. so I wouldn't know what features other sites have that gamespot doesn't. all I do know is what gamespot used to be, and what it is now. it was definitely much better before, but I have faith in gamespot's decision to change the site. I will gladly wait for them to refine this design and (hopefully) eventually get it on par with the old site, or maybe even better.

leon2365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By leon2365

on the first point, ok.

on the second point, I haven't seen many site re-designs, so I don't have much to compare to. though I do think its taking too much time to roll out fixes, and the beta definitely could have been better. as far as I know, the beta never went public. if it did, then I completely missed it. so I guess the beta should have been extended then, and included more people than it did. (and like I said before, if it went public, I completely missed it, and you can disregard this immediate comment about including more people)

leon2365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 leon2365

indeed they should have. hopefully by the time this is all said and done, gamespot has redeemed themselves. though it will take a lot from the look of things.

leon2365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 leon2365

fingers shall be crossed.