New Search Engine is Broken.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

analogjunkie24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 analogjunkie24
Member since 2009 • 47 Posts

I decided to check out the user reviews for Thief 2 on the PC. I type in "thief" in the search bar and other than the upcoming reboot by Square Enix, all of the results (Over 500 pages worth!!) are games I have never even heard of. I also tried looking for Gamespot's review of Rainbow Six 3: Raven Shield on the PC and I had a similarly unpleasant experience. Try searching for these games yourself and you'll see what I am saying. Gamespot optimize your search engine.

Azzer_007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 Azzer_007
Member since 2004 • 121 Posts

Yes, the new search system is horrendous. You can tick "Games" which you'd think would filter a lot of stuff out (eg for "Thief" it reduces the results to a mere... 96 results...), but it's still unusable. I've actually stopped using it - and I used to regularly look up games (almost treating it like IMDB, but for games :P). I wonder if there's some database issue with their old back-catalog of games - I say this as, for instance if you visit the PC platform-specific page here; http://www.gamespot.com/pc/ ... then the "Top Games" and "New Releases" sections both have ALMOST identical lists - and they certainly aren't new releases (Sims 3 - 2009... though clicking takes you to a review for the Supernatural expansion, released September 2012, rather than the page for SIms 3 itself). Perhaps everything in the DB for the gigantic catalog of games Gamespot hosts is just FUBAR'ed, making things like searches just too difficult.

Well, anyway, with all of the many, many other problems, and loss of features, the total inability to find anything useful through the search page is the straw that broke this Gamespot-user-since-the-90s back. I'm going to leave it for a few weeks/months, force myself to try some other gaming sites out as alternatives, and see if in that time either Gamespot have sorted themselves out, or I've found an alternative site to replace my once permanent bookmark :(

leon2365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3  Edited By leon2365
Member since 2006 • 13096 Posts

I found it very easily.

s_h_a_d_o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points