Name change(possible solution) and marketplace, please read

• 52 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

tevwalker13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 tevwalker13
Member since 2006 • 1850 Posts

I know this has been brought up a million, no billion times before but i think i might have a solution to this name changing problem. I believe GS should adopt a new feature quite familiar to what some other sites use, most notable, gametrailers.com. This website implanted a online currency feature which they refer to as GTD (gametrailer dollars), its not real money nor is it useless either. The site rewards its users with this currency by just using the site in general. collecting enough of these GTD as they call it, you can buy certain rewards at the market place as the link shows. As you can see you have to obtain alot to win stuff but i can guarantee this feature would get alot of users more active on this site, and is this not what you guys want?

One of the other things this feature did that so far advances pass this site is the name changing feature and might i add it works really well. The user must get enough GTD before they can change their name. by doing this, the site has cut down on frequent changes by alot. Its genius and this site could greatly benefit from it.

Thats not all you can do with this GTD though, you can alos purchase online things such as sigs, banners, etc. you get the idea. this Market place idea is what this site really needs. Im sure most of you guys would agree with me on this after you see how it works.

I really hope some of you guys will take the time to look at this, mods included, and thank you to all that have read this, please consider my idea about the marketplace. With such a feature this site would be even more popular then it was already and GS would be giving back to the community as gametrailer says. Thanks again to anyone who reads this.

Edit: DraconigenaDeus wrote:

I going to go ahead and support this, but don't get your hopes too high Tev. I'm not sure GS wants to take the effort to implement something new w/ all of the issues they already have.

I'll add to the ideas to see if I can help though. We all ready have a levels system place that works in a similar way, and if GS wanted they could handle it in the same way to a T. Like the level system, they could limit cash farming by limiting the amount of cash you can get in one day. So you would be rewarded for checking in consistantly (as the level system already does) and not by the amount of spam you produce. If you think about it from this perspective implementing this should be cake, since the system is already in place. They could just hand out GSD in coordination w/ your rise in levels, this way levels would actually have meaning to them as well, how much money you have earned . This way everybody would already be familiar (well a little bit) w/ how it works as well.

---------------

In addition i support the idea of this person solving any problems of farming or alteast drop the level of spamming by alot.

maximus_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#2 maximus_2
Member since 2004 • 6383 Posts

yeah.. I would like to change my name here.. its very old my nick.. that I didn't use anymore anywere...

I would like to change it.. but I cant here :(

arline6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#3 arline6
Member since 2005 • 15119 Posts
I vote Yes.
ff7fan2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 ff7fan2
Member since 2006 • 31413 Posts
The process of changing the username of someone doesn't just occur on GameSpot, but on all of the sites of the network, thus making this a pretty bothersome process, and if someone gets their name changed, then other people just start flooding the staff with requests to change their name. However, I do like the solution that you've put into place, because it would require a certain number of points (a very large number I assume...something that would only be attainable after a year or so).

tl;dr: I support
Legend002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#5 Legend002
Member since 2007 • 13405 Posts
I support the idea and it would be an awesome feature and addition to this site but the name changing feature may cause a lot of confusion.Imagine that you know everyone on your friendlist fairly well,then the next day they changed their name to something else.As much as I want this feature,it doesn't seem like it is going to happend.Unless everytime you change your name and then Gamespot sents a message to all your friends telling they changed their name then it could work.The marketplace will sure boost my interest of going to GS if it works.
tevwalker13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 tevwalker13
thank you guys for the support, yes you would need to gather alot before you could change your name, a year's amount sounds nice.
Eddy654

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Eddy654
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
It seems like a pretty produtive thing to do and it will boost the popularity by 8% to say the least.:D
AceBermanX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 AceBermanX
Member since 2007 • 2282 Posts
Hey tev I'm all for this idea. I vote yes. GS would be even better with this idea, I think its awesome!
tevwalker13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 tevwalker13
Thank you ace, that means alot to me.
superdvd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 superdvd
Member since 2005 • 445 Posts

I have to say I think this would be a good idea. :)

I'm all for it! :D

Nightmare-_-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Nightmare-_-
Member since 2006 • 17420 Posts
hell yeah, I like it :D good idea :D that would be helpful.
tevwalker13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 tevwalker13
thank you everyone for the support, i knew everyone would like this idea. i just hope GS would take my idea into consideration.
gamah_killah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 gamah_killah
Member since 2006 • 13020 Posts
I support this as well. As exactly as what Leg002 said.
tevwalker13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 tevwalker13
thanks meh, for also applying your feedback on my idea.
cyberdarkkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#15 cyberdarkkid
Member since 2007 • 16777 Posts
I fully support this.
vidplayer8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16 vidplayer8
Member since 2006 • 18549 Posts
I'll say I support this idea. But I hope that if this idea were to be implemented, it would be unique to GS.
tevwalker13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 tevwalker13
thanks guys and of course vid i hope they do make it unique to their own style
Avatar image for I-Am-Revolution
I-Am-Revolution

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 I-Am-Revolution
Member since 2007 • 54 Posts

Hmm, would be nice to have a feature like this. I was thinking after I read it, maybe GS should have a Thumbs Up/Thumbs Down rating on the forums like they do the comment sections(or perhaps a 5-star rating system, if feasible), so if your Down Voted, it takes away from your GTD(or, GSD), and likewise if your Up Voted, it gives you some extra GSD. GSD could be applied to Comments, Reviews, Blogs, and even Unions. Say you personally get some people to join a Union, you can be rewarded, and the owners would become rewarded too for their Unions being so successful. There's so many things GS could do to make the feature unique to the site.

-RvL

tevwalker13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 tevwalker13
some parts of that is good others not so much like say if you have someone who just doesnt like you, they would thumb you down personally just to annoy you. that feature would be to easily abused. lots of precautions must be taken for such an idea to be added. I do like the idea of users getting rewarded if say the joined a union or thumbed someone up though sadly it might be a chance farmers might abuse that feature as well.
G013M

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 G013M
Member since 2006 • 6424 Posts

From what I understand, name changes are reserved for very special cases, becuase they tend to screw with the database and cause problems.

But as an overall feature (and from what I could see from gametrailers), it looks pretty cool.

That being said, I can see this becoming a spam problem if people get gamespot cash for posting or commenting, and hence they'll just post for the sake of getting the online cash.

rouge-ninja14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 rouge-ninja14
Member since 2007 • 2758 Posts
Souns like a good idea to me, and I like legends idea of a PM when you change the name:)
tevwalker13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 tevwalker13

From what I understand, name changes are reserved for very special cases, becuase they tend to screw with the database and cause problems.

But as an overall feature (and from what I could see from gametrailers), it looks pretty cool.

That being said, I can see this becoming a spam problem if people get gamespot cash for posting or commenting, and hence they'll just post for the sake of getting the online cash.

G013M
Exactly, this being said i was hoping GS would come up with ideas as well to better solve this problem of farming. Cause i know with a feature like this their will be users that would perform such an act. Gametrailers also is has ways to stop that problem, maybe GS can learn a thing or too from them. Thank you for agree with me on this idea though, as a whole this feature should be implanted at gamespot.
G013M

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 G013M

Exactly, this being said i was hoping GS would come up with ideas as well to better solve this problem of farming. Cause i know with a feature like this their will be users that would perform such an act. Gametrailers also is has ways to stop that problem, maybe GS can learn a thing or too from them. Thank you for agree with me on this idea though, as a whole this feature should be implanted at gamespot.tevwalker13

What ways does GT have to stop cash farming?

Avatar image for DraconigenaDeus
DraconigenaDeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#24 DraconigenaDeus
Member since 2005 • 2304 Posts

I going to go ahead and support this, but don't get your hopes too high Tev. I'm not sure GS wants to take the effort to implement something new w/ all of the issues they already have.

I'll add to the ideas to see if I can help though. We all ready have a levels system place that works in a similar way, and if GS wanted they could handle it in the same way to a T. Like the level system, they could limit cash farming by limiting the amount of cash you can get in one day. So you would be rewarded for checking in consistantly (as the level system already does) and not by the amount of spam you produce. If you think about it from this perspective implementing this should be cake, since the system is already in place. They could just hand out GSD in coordination w/ your rise in levels, this way levels would actually have meaning to them as well, how much money you have earned :P. This way everybody would already be familiar (well a little bit) w/ how it works as well.

tevwalker13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 tevwalker13

[QUOTE="tevwalker13"]Exactly, this being said i was hoping GS would come up with ideas as well to better solve this problem of farming. Cause i know with a feature like this their will be users that would perform such an act. Gametrailers also is has ways to stop that problem, maybe GS can learn a thing or too from them. Thank you for agree with me on this idea though, as a whole this feature should be implanted at gamespot.G013M

What ways does GT have to stop cash farming?

they kind of did what that guy posted above my post, and might i add is a good idea you should consider what he said.
tevwalker13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 tevwalker13

I'll add to the ideas to see if I can help though. We all ready have a levels system place that works in a similar way, and if GS wanted they could handle it in the same way to a T. Like the level system, they could limit cash farming by limiting the amount of cash you can get in one day. So you would be rewarded for checking in consistantly (as the level system already does) and not by the amount of spam you produce. If you think about it from this perspective implementing this should be cake, since the system is already in place. They could just hand out GSD in coordination w/ your rise in levels, this way levels would actually have meaning to them as well, how much money you have earned :P. This way everybody would already be familiar (well a little bit) w/ how it works as well.

DraconigenaDeus
This is exactly how they would solve the problem. gametrailers had somewhat of a feature similiar to this but the way you put it is better excuted. I believe if they did limit you what you could get a day this would solve the problem of farming. So with this i dont see why it wouldnt be a problem to add this feature.
FinalsoulX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#27 FinalsoulX
Member since 2006 • 25351 Posts
well, I support the idea of name change.
Some of my friend change some acc cauz of thier name
and they have to start all over again.
DazKurupt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#28 DazKurupt
Member since 2006 • 1370 Posts

well, I support the idea of name change.
Some of my friend change some acc cauz of thier name
and they have to start all over again.FinalsoulX

Indeed , I too support this and think it should be a top priority for the GS coders. Nice sig FSX.

tevwalker13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 tevwalker13
Thanks guys, there is no reason for GS to deny this ides to tell you the true, lots of people aren't happy with their names now, so they went to lengths as such to make another account all together. Its a shame they have to start over because of this. Plus with my Marketplace idea, it would only make the community of GS more interesting and innovative.
KokutenNagaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 KokutenNagaki
Member since 2007 • 853 Posts
I would enjoy a Marketplace on Gamespot a lot. It would give me a reason to look around this website more than I already do.
vidplayer8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 vidplayer8
Member since 2006 • 18549 Posts

Thanks guys, there is no reason for GS to deny this ides to tell you the true, lots of people aren't happy with their names now, so they went to lengths as such to make another account all together. Its a shame they have to start over because of this. Plus with my Marketplace idea, it would only make the community of GS more interesting and innovative.tevwalker13

revamping a whole site isn't that easy. I mean we still haven't gotten much info about the new union stuff (I know the complications involved) so I don't think we would hear about something like this for a while.

tevwalker13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 tevwalker13

[QUOTE="tevwalker13"]Thanks guys, there is no reason for GS to deny this ides to tell you the true, lots of people aren't happy with their names now, so they went to lengths as such to make another account all together. Its a shame they have to start over because of this. Plus with my Marketplace idea, it would only make the community of GS more interesting and innovative.vidplayer8

revamping a whole site isn't that easy. I mean we still haven't gotten much info about the new union stuff (I know the complications involved) so I don't think we would hear about something like this for a while.

true, they have been talking about that union thing for like ever. I just dont want them to ignore this one, only one mod so far has looked at it.
G013M

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 G013M

true, they have been talking about that union thing for like ever. I just dont want them to ignore this one, only one mod so far has looked at it.tevwalker13

I don't do anything with the site developmentwise, and I'm not employed by Cnet. I just volunteer to keep the forums clean, none of my opinions reflect upon those of the site admins.

Also, I highly doubt that we'll get any sort name change tool before any sort of site redesign, as currently changing a name causes problems for the database.

tevwalker13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 tevwalker13
I know thats why i was hoping a admin would stop by but i have no idea how often they look at the site enhancement forum. the redesign is more likely then the name changing feature but the way it was set up does solve most problems to the name changing feature.
Nightmare-_-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Nightmare-_-
Member since 2006 • 17420 Posts

[QUOTE="tevwalker13"]true, they have been talking about that union thing for like ever. I just dont want them to ignore this one, only one mod so far has looked at it.G013M

I don't do anything with the site developmentwise, and I'm not employed by Cnet. I just volunteer to keep the forums clean, none of my opinions reflect upon those of the site admins.

Also, I highly doubt that we'll get any sort name change tool before any sort of site redesign, as currently changing a name causes problems for the database.

So, I might misunderstand how can this causes problems for database? dont you mind explain little clear?

tevwalker13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 tevwalker13
Im not really sure myself but it causes some sort of confusion for the members and staff. which wouldnt be too much of a problem if they also consider the idea legend made earlier, about notifying all friends if someone name is changed. I know its possible if gametrailers have managed to maintain it.
kaze347

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#37 kaze347
Member since 2006 • 1270 Posts
My Support=Yours, Idea=Win
andremafia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#38 andremafia
Member since 2005 • 874 Posts
Loving the Marketplace idea, buying real stuff with GS money would be awesome, I hope they will have a look at this. With this gamespot would be more popular therefor more people would subscribe to gamespot, in addition gamespot would be payed more for advertisings on the website in conclusion everyone would benefit from it :D
G013M

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 G013M

So, I might misunderstand how can this causes problems for database? dont you mind explain little clear?

Nightmare-_-

I don't have the nitty gritty details, as I'm not a dev, but if I remember correctly; that's why name changes are reserved for very special cases.

Dracula68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Dracula68
Member since 2002 • 33109 Posts
[QUOTE="Nightmare-_-"]

G013M

I don't have the nitty gritty details, as I'm not a dev, but if I remember correctly; that's why name changes are reserved for very special cases.

Same name across all sites too.

tevwalker13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 tevwalker13
I wonder if GS will ever have a name changing feature. it is complicated because it is not only one site but its several at once. even still this feature is something that alot of GS members want.
Thing2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Thing2
Member since 2003 • 282 Posts
I agree, I would like to change my name too since it's the one I used like 5 years ago and the levels really don't mean much as it is now, good suggestion I'm all for it
tevwalker13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 tevwalker13
Thanks, its a shame because lots of users would agree with this. lots of people are upset with their name, its about time GS did something to solve this and its also not much to do on this site so a marketplace would be nice.
fastesttruck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 fastesttruck
Member since 2005 • 25353 Posts
That being said, I can see this becoming a spam problem if people get gamespot cash for posting or commenting, and hence they'll just post for the sake of getting the online cash.G013M
Not trying to rip you apart or anything here but can we really let a few bad users stop the site from being better? If that is the case they they should shut down the forums so people can't spam or post porn or flame or troll. My point is its going to happen no matter what. So you deal with the bad users as they come. Don't let them ruin a good thing.
tevwalker13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 tevwalker13
[QUOTE="G013M"] That being said, I can see this becoming a spam problem if people get gamespot cash for posting or commenting, and hence they'll just post for the sake of getting the online cash.fastesttruck
Not trying to rip you apart or anything here but can we really let a few bad users stop the site from being better? If that is the case they they should shut down the forums so people can't spam or post porn or flame or troll. My point is its going to happen no matter what. So you deal with the bad users as they come. Don't let them ruin a good thing.

I have o agree what with this guy said, yes there will be problems but are you guys going to let that stop this website from being better or are you guys going to let it fail slowly cause sadly thats where it is headed right now. I have been hearing alot of complaints from other users saying how there isnt much to do on this site, most have left because of that. GS is going to need some changes around here if it ever wishes to keep its users happy and ratings up and as i stated before, is that not what everyone wants?
G013M

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 G013M

[QUOTE="G013M"] That being said, I can see this becoming a spam problem if people get gamespot cash for posting or commenting, and hence they'll just post for the sake of getting the online cash.fastesttruck

All I was saying was that giving people an incentive to post could result in people posting for the sake of getting GSCash. And before you say "Well it doesn't happen with the leveling system" -- well, other then a number, the leveling system doesn't actually do anything, whereas "cash" actually does something.

I'm not saying that it's not a good idea, and personally I think it's a great idea and that this is would be a good solution.

The solution to this would be that each moderation takes a sum of cash away, kinda like a ticket.cryptosopoidium

It just needs to be done carefully to make sure that it doesn't encourage spam, by rewarding posts (even if there is a cap on the number posts), with cash which can be spent to better your online profile.

fastesttruck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 fastesttruck
Member since 2005 • 25353 Posts
Ok the Leveling system to me means nothing. I max out every day even if I only post 50 times b/c I spend at least 5 hours here a day. I was never going to even bring levels into this b/c of how there are so many other ways to max out for the day. and as someone said a while back, when you moderate a user you could take cash from there. That way trying to spam would make a user lose not gain.
michaelP4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 michaelP4
Member since 2004 • 16681 Posts
I don't really like this idea, due to the abuse it would suffer from, and I believe the abuse would be near impossible to stop. I visit this site for its community. If I was to have this feature, I think it would fully become my purpose for visiting this site, taking over the real reasons I visit this site (Reviews, News etc.). If that was not to happen, then I believe that the Market Place would become popular for a while and then it'll be forgotten about. And even then, I don't believe the Market Place will improve activity, as that's not the prime reason users visit this site. To finish: Even if this idea became true, how would GS keep it updated? They still have Unions Version 2 to implement, and it still hasn't been done in years now, as other important things keep popping up.
tevwalker13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 tevwalker13

I don't really like this idea, due to the abuse it would suffer from, and I believe the abuse would be near impossible to stop. I visit this site for its community. If I was to have this feature, I think it would fully become my purpose for visiting this site, taking over the real reasons I visit this site (Reviews, News etc.). If that was not to happen, then I believe that the Market Place would become popular for a while and then it'll be forgotten about. And even then, I don't believe the Market Place will improve activity, as that's not the prime reason users visit this site. To finish: Even if this idea became true, how would GS keep it updated? They still have Unions Version 2 to implement, and it still hasn't been done in years now, as other important things keep popping up.michaelP4
Some valid points yes. Even with the high spaming issus that this website might suffer, from what i heard, previous users in this thread have metioned some things that might just help.We all know this idea is not without its problems but it might not be all that bad either.Your not sure that it might improve activity, it might, it might not. we wont really know unless GS is willing to give it a try.

I dont think it will be forgotten as i have seen how it works on Gametrailers, they continue to update it with games that has just come out or collectable items, like shirts, hats, banners, and collectable toys, they even have consoles on the market that you need to collect large amounts before you can buy them.

I know that this feature is possible to handle because gametrailers isnt the only site that has one like it, i know of another site that contains one and that is planetrenders.net. if these sites can handle it why cant GS? I already know GS can handle it alot better than those other sites anyways because the have better rules than most. if you think te mods wont be able to handle the spam and farmers then GS should think about getting more.

Im not saying GS should implant the feature here and now, i just wanted people to look over my idea and atleast consider it.