My GameSpot Badge Update!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

JodyR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 JodyR
Member since 2005 • 16454 Posts
We have a new addition to our universal GameSpot Badges! Many of you had concerns that certain websites did not allow iframes and this restricted you from using your GameSpot badges on your favorite webpages. We now have a flash version just for you! Stop by to grab the code by going to your profile, and clicking on the link entitled 'My GameSpot Badge', which is located below your emblems.
Jerell_rast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 Jerell_rast
Member since 2004 • 7095 Posts
That's great. Thanks for another great enhancement. This will surely attract more members to this site.
fastesttruck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 fastesttruck
Member since 2005 • 25353 Posts
Can you make it so we can post them here on Gs as well and in our blogs?
RobotOpBuddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -3

#4 RobotOpBuddy  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 65506 Posts
Can you make it so we can post them here on Gs as well and in our blogs?fastesttruck
yer that'd be good...tho i guess with the main point of them being free advertising for the website and showing your stats to non GS members or to members on other sites that probably isn't gonna happen
fastesttruck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 fastesttruck
All of the sites I am a member at dont use anything more than what GS uses for text
RobotOpBuddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 RobotOpBuddy  Moderator
so just specific BBCode tags and HTML code then..:| they're very limited aren't they....i dno exactly what things GS supports, but i have a feeling that there isn't anything suitable for it that we can use atm either...:?
fastesttruck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 fastesttruck
specific BBCode tags and HTML code is all they have so far.
GTAps2SanA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#8 GTAps2SanA
Member since 2005 • 3716 Posts
Does this work with MySpace?
Versus_XIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 Versus_XIII
Member since 2006 • 1250 Posts
Does this work with MySpace?GTAps2SanA

Yes. It should because Myspace deals with HTML.
vgm007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#10 vgm007
Member since 2005 • 20931 Posts
I like it, but I had to cut out most of the code to fit it in my signature in another website because of a 255-character limit... the source URL is especially long, so maybe there's a way to shorten it?
RobotOpBuddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 RobotOpBuddy  Moderator
^i'm quite sure it can be cut down...i haven't really looked at the code much but there seems to be more there than is necessary...
joshwebb99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 joshwebb99
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
Am I the only one that would rather see MY GAMES listed in the badge than my site accomplishments. I'm totally fine with it having Gamespot branding every where and linking back but I want to show others my games without rewriting it on another site. Do that or at least make an RSS feed for the games.
Thorpe89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#13 Thorpe89
Member since 2004 • 16905 Posts
Can you please introduce an image one like a PNG/GIF? I could then use it in my signatures.
Spincut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#14 Spincut
Member since 2004 • 4203 Posts
i am still not lable to get either method to work (not sure the diff between iframe and flash) on any other site. sure copying and pasting the code in the GS code box works fine, but other forums arent quite as robust. on "cheap ass gamers" for instance, i have tried pasting it, inserting it between [html] tags (although it says "html off" in the botom corner) and nothing. So, how do i get these to work in other forums? i may make a seperate topic about this so it gets seen.
RobotOpBuddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 RobotOpBuddy  Moderator
many forums don't even support iframe or flash unfortunately...normally you're put them into the html source code for your msg or otherwise into the html code tho..it varies slightly between forums...
Spincut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Spincut
are you familiar with Cheap Ass gamers? it uses a very similar forum interface to alot of the other forums i tried, i did notice on the bottom left corner of the page is says, amongst other things "html OFF" (as most of the forums do), does that probably mean that it cant be used at any of those places, or is there another way it's supposed to be embedded aside from copying and pasting?
Jerell_rast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Jerell_rast
I'm also having problems with the iframe code, mainly because the code is too long. Also, like Dirk13 mentioned, many sites also have HTML codes disabled. Is there a way to shorten the codes?
Spincut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Spincut
yeah as i'm discovering most places dont allow the iframe OR the flash code, just the code in general isnt allowed. And i use several others forums, most of them use the same interface and it shows "html off" below, which i think may be what's killing it from working. I dont beleive though that the code has to be "shorter", since if it was supported at least, it probably would just work. The only social site that i beleive a reasonable amount of people here use (i dont though) that this badge code really would even work is myspcae, but most forums no, facebook, no. It would be cool if they could just get an image code that somehow is an interactive flash (sort of like a linkable image with the image itself containing dynamic code). I think that's partially why most people havent used it quite yet even though it's been around.
vgm007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#19 vgm007
Member since 2005 • 20931 Posts
What GS should do, and what Dirk13 mentioned in another thread, is do the same thing Xfire does - use dynamic PNGs. That would fix both problems.
coruscant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#20 coruscant
Member since 2005 • 3406 Posts
That's a good idea.
Jerell_rast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Jerell_rast
What GS should do, and what Dirk13 mentioned in another thread, is do the same thing Xfire does - use dynamic PNGs. That would fix both problems.vgm007
That's also a great way. Is there a way to change the badge code to a more common format? Like the BBcode? I've noticed(on two forums) that one of the reasons why they have disabled HTML codes on their forums is because it might cause layout problems to their site.
RobotOpBuddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 RobotOpBuddy  Moderator
[QUOTE="vgm007"]What GS should do, and what Dirk13 mentioned in another thread, is do the same thing Xfire does - use dynamic PNGs. That would fix both problems.Jerell_rast
That's also a great way. Is there a way to change the badge code to a more common format? Like the BBcode? I've noticed(on two forums) that one of the reasons why they have disabled HTML codes on their forums is because it might cause layout problems to their site.

well if it's done as an image (probably best as a dynamic .png or .gif file) then it'll work via both html and BBCode
coruscant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#23 coruscant
Member since 2005 • 3406 Posts
Dynamic PNG's is a good idea.
yamum2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points