Mouse Scrolling Not Smooth

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by nait2k4 (79 posts) -

Howdy ya'll,

When navigating the site, mouse scrolling tends to be very jerky and laggy. It is more evident on pages that have comments sections or videos (or both). I have tried to replicate the issue on other websites with comment sections/embedded videos, but they continue to scroll smoothly.

Is anyone else having this same issue? Its minor (from a big picture point of view) but frigging annoying when you're a comments junkie like me.

Am using Firefox (latest version), not tested on IE or Chrome.

Cheers!

#2 Posted by alexisgallisa (31 posts) -

The video player by default on auto is going to try and suck up as much bandwidth and frames as it can. When it detects that you are losing frames per second it's going to drop down on quality. That being said you are pretty much picking up on the two most resource intensive sections of the site; the video player and the livefyre comments. We've done a ton over the last month or so to make sure the site paints to screen at 60fps as much as possible. Little by little we are taking out more and more things that can slow down the actual paint to page performance. There's a ton of stuff on GameSpot to be sure. We are considering changing the comments to use the system which is used on GaintBomb.com and OnGamers.com (and actually what you see here in the forums) but that is still under consideration.

#3 Posted by Gelugon_baat (19375 posts) -

@nait2k4:

It's not scrolling that is laggy - it's your browser lagging.

With that said, there are indeed stuff on GameSpot that slows down your browser - chief of which are the ads.

You might want to consider blocking these.

#4 Edited by nait2k4 (79 posts) -

@nait2k4:

It's not scrolling that is laggy - it's your browser lagging.

With that said, there are indeed stuff on GameSpot that slows down your browser - chief of which are the ads.

You might want to consider blocking these.

Should have mentioned I'm using Adblock+

#5 Edited by Gelugon_baat (19375 posts) -
@nait2k4 said:

Should have mentioned I'm using Adblock+

Okay, now that you have said that, you might want to consider blocking a few things that are not in the default filters of AdBlock:

video.gamespotcdn.com/d5/

The above creates a Flash object in the background that plays a stretched MP4, which causes it to resemble an animated GIF. Needless to say, this is going to hurt your browser.

gamespot.com##.fyre-comment-article.fyre-comment-source-6

The above somehow duplicates comments on GameSpot's official Facebook into the LiveFyre comment threads. Block this one with the Element Hiding Helper Tool for AdBlock to reduce the load on your browser when loading comment threads.

Try these first - see if it gets any better.

#6 Posted by bfa1509 (75 posts) -

+1 on this. Gamespot brings out the worst in every browser.

#7 Posted by nait2k4 (79 posts) -

@Gelugon_baat: Have been using the filters for a week, but hasn't made much difference unfortunately.

Oh well, I suppose its not a big deal, I've cut back my visits to the site a lot since the start of the year. Plus I am not viewing or clicking the ads, so I guess I've got no right to really have a whinge about it.

Thanks for the help :)

#8 Posted by harry_james_pot (10369 posts) -

We are considering changing the comments to use the system which is used on GaintBomb.com and OnGamers.com (and actually what you see here in the forums) but that is still under consideration.

Wait.. are you saying this forum is running on a comment system? Is this why the giantbomb forums literally look like a comment section?