This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by superclocked (5863 posts) -
I just got this message about an ad... malwarea.png
#2 Posted by jsmoke03 (13029 posts) -

yea i got the same message as well. i got it right when i went into the forums

#3 Posted by gmax (6862 posts) -
We'll need a link to a page where this error occurred. This may or may not have been the result of an ad on the site; most of the malware alerts thrown by Google are not in response to ads, and a fairly high number of them are completely false positives. If we can see this on a page we can investigate and determine the most appropriate course of action. Generally, if it's actually a bad ad it will be taken care of.

#4 Posted by c_rakestraw (14762 posts) -

Do both of you have signatures enabled? Try turning them off and revisit the pages where the warning occurred, see what happens.

#5 Posted by jsmoke03 (13029 posts) -

We'll need a link to a page where this error occurred. This may or may not have been the result of an ad on the site; most of the malware alerts thrown by Google are not in response to ads, and a fairly high number of them are completely false positives. If we can see this on a page we can investigate and determine the most appropriate course of action. Generally, if it's actually a bad ad it will be taken care of.

gmax

this was the page i was trying to go on

#6 Posted by gmax (6862 posts) -
I was not able to find content from the domain mentioned in that thread. That might mean it actually was an ad, and that I'm not seeing the same ads you guys are. That could be because we are not in the same region of the world. Or I may have just flat out missed it somehow. Are you outside the US?

#7 Posted by superclocked (5863 posts) -
I'm inside the US.. But I just assumed that it was an ad really. I haven't gotten the same message since, so it may have been as you suggested, a false positive...
#8 Posted by jsmoke03 (13029 posts) -
[QUOTE="gmax"]I was not able to find content from the domain mentioned in that thread. That might mean it actually was an ad, and that I'm not seeing the same ads you guys are. That could be because we are not in the same region of the world. Or I may have just flat out missed it somehow. Are you outside the US?

im from the u.s. using google chrome if that makes any sense. haven't had that trouble since, but im not trying to go on that page to find out if there is anything bad
#9 Posted by JodyR (16412 posts) -
If you end up knowing who has the malware content let us know and we'll remove it.
#10 Posted by DigitalDame (4174 posts) -

[QUOTE="gmax"] im from the u.s. using google chrome if that makes any sense. haven't had that trouble since, but im not trying to go on that page to find out if there is anything badjsmoke03

Ah this old thing.
This is an issue that we are aware of and are actively working on figuring out a solution for.
Essentially what happens from time to time is a user has an image either in their signature or in their avatar that might have come from a naughty site, or a site that has been considered to contain said malitious content - usually google is the one that determines that.

Here are some past insights on the subject:

A brief check concludes that it is due to a user-hosted image on the page, and a little more let me pinpoint it to usuarios.lycos.es/cardgallery/ahruon/bowsera.gif (So don't go to that URL!) as the problem image, which is the 3rd of 6 images insvaubel's forum signature. Until that image is removed from his signature (either by svaubel or a moderator/admin) or the hosting site fixes it the problem will remain.

In the meantime, if you go to theimages tab in your settings, and toggle user-images to display from "all images" to either of the other options (GS hosted only or no images) you should be able to access the page as the user-added image won't be loaded/displayed.robbristow

I also took a look at this. The image is technically clean, and the transfer used to include it on a page is also unremarkable. The situation here on GS is thus harmless. The site hosting the image may be another story. I've already PMed the user suggesting another URL to use that will retrieve the same image, hopefully without triggering any alerts. That's here. I also left a note for staff/mods here.

This alert can be ignored for now, although disabling off-site images as mentioned may be worth considering. It's also possible to disable signatures.

gmax

#11 Posted by RobotOpBuddy (65203 posts) -
For future reference, an easy way to get a better idea of what is causing it, without putting yourself at risk, is when the sudden google warning page appears, add 'view-source:' onto the start of the affected web address (without the 's) - this will show the source code that makes up the page without actually loading any of the individual assets, including whatever part is causing the issue - from there you can press ctrl+f to bring up a search on page bar in the top right, and using the domain address google warns for the search term the specific URL and part of the page's source code causing the problem can be found. At that point, you can either figure out for yourself whether it's an ad or user-added things and whose signature/avatar it is from the nearby code (there's a lot of tell-tale divs that surround user-content if you understand how html works) and give us all the relevant information to deal with it...or, if you don't understand the code (or even just aren't 100% certain), you should take a screenshot of the source showing the warned URL appearing in the source and the surrounding code from that we can quite easily determine the cause, even if it is an ad on a rotation in a specific global area. e.g. In this case, searching (via ctrl+f) 'milegend' in the source (accessed via view-source:URL) when the warning appears, and take screenshots showing each appearance of it - typically it'll only appear in one general area so one screenshot should normally be enough. Posting the screenshot(s) in an appropriate place on the forums can then allow us to easily determine the cause - of course, post the URL of the affected page in addition to the screenshot(s). If it seems to be an ad then your general global area would be useful as well. If users can do that much when this issue comes up then we'll be able to get problematic user-content removed swiftly (though over 90% of the time said images are actually clean - just chrome being paranoid because of the domain it's hosted on being a little suspicious); and more importantly be able to deal with any issues that come up due to ads or other things that may not be false positives in a timely manner by getting infringing ads removed from the rotations.