Malware is being distributed by gamespot advertisers

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by pzul_wisner (2 posts) -

Gamespot: one of your advertisers is displaying phony "Download" buttons that install malware. In this case the malware is from Sweetin Technologies Ltd. Looks like a browser hijacker. http://malwaretips.com/blogs/remove-sweetim-toolbar/

#2 Posted by Smashbrossive50 (3114 posts) -

I can see that's a Mac OS, but still,you should follow the guidelines in that link,I've done it before on Windows7,and don't forget to install adblock+ to enhance security

#3 Posted by edgework (574 posts) -

Yeah we hate that scumbag shit and it gets pulled down soon after it appears but they just keep buying more impressions under different names. Its all a part of the ad network. We have little control over which ads are served at any given time but we do get them pulled when we see them.

#4 Edited by SirSlimyScott (275 posts) -

@pzul_wisner: Do people honestly click "Download"?

#5 Posted by Smashbrossive50 (3114 posts) -

@SirSlimyScrotum: that "Download" button was a bait from the alleged malware,I'm sure people like us are smart enough to tell the difference,just be sure you're suspicious about it before the pointer took the bait

#6 Posted by pzul_wisner (2 posts) -

People most certainly do fall for this scam. The victims are our friends and family members. We get the calls to fix their computers.

Someone should start a smarter ad network that filters this stuff away to protect the reputations of the hosting sites.

#7 Posted by Smashbrossive50 (3114 posts) -

@pzul_wisner: and this is why adblock+ is the solution,install one for free,it's usually provided by the browser as an add-on