Locking topics without reason

This topic is locked from further discussion.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

So why is this topic even locked? There is no other reason that one mod didn't like it because it's about GamerGate, even though there is one in SW. It's been a topic

Link

Here's another one

Link

aretilda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 5

#3 aretilda
Member since 2014 • 499 Posts

That's a good way to lose site members fast.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#4 uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 58889 Posts

I enjoyed this thread. Incredibly angry it was locked. Incredibly so. Really angry.

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/offtopic-discussion-314159273/last-movie-you-watched-31458330/#364

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5  Edited By thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

@davillain- said:

Also while we're on the subject, on OT forum, there was a locked thread title: Last movie you Watched and it was getting great discussion until one day, it got locked with no explanation from the Moderator whoever lock it. If a Moderator is going to lock a thread, please leave an explanation why so that other user won't make the same mistake. Thank you GS.

yeah I was wondering that myself, was tempted to start a new thread called "Last Movie you watched 2" but we shall see if a mod unlocks the thread

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#6 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@The_Last_Ride said:

So why is this topic even locked? There is no other reason that one mod didn't like it because it's about GamerGate, even though there is one in SW. It's been a topic

Link

Here's another one

Link

If I remember correctly, I think that is the same mod who banned people in SW for saying anything negative about Mcshea and Petit being let go from GS

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By The_Last_Ride

@lostrib said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

Link

Here's another one

Link

If I remember correctly, I think that is the same mod who banned people in SW for saying anything negative about Mcshea and Petit being let go from GS

i didn't catch that, that's just stupid. Why the hell are you guys locking thread when the content is not offensive nor is it OT from the forum? I mean seriously. Just because a mod is tired of that topic doesn't mean he or she can dictate what is allowed to be said on the site...

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#8  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 58889 Posts

It appears to be the man with the Al Bundy avatar locking threads because they are "past their life". I could be wrong, that's just from briefly clicking today. Regardless, to me this suggests a separate tv/movie section would be better, with multiple obviose stickies of interest. Most gaming forums have these, why gamespot hasn't, no idea.

Very weird gamespot has an entire section devoted to sports. Is gamespot sporting crazy or something?

I would imagine many of the users outside of America probably don't give a shit about basketball/American Football/Baseball. That's certainly the case with most of Europe.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#9 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52425 Posts

One of the reasons I asked for an Ask The Mods board.

That was a while ago. At least notifications work again. There's always that.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#10 deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts

I was about to create this exact thread. Active and useful threads shouldn't be locked just because they were started 6 months ago. Like threads about book/movie/show suggestion. "This thread is old, make another one" is borderline OCD....why should we have to create new threads and repeat every suggestion all over again instead of having it neatly in one thread where people could browse from the first page and get some ideas?

Behardy24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Behardy24
Member since 2014 • 5324 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

It appears to be the man with the Al Bundy avatar locking threads because they are "past their life". I could be wrong, that's just from briefly clicking today. Regardless, to me this suggests a separate tv/movie section would be better, with multiple obviose stickies of interest. Most gaming forums have these, why gamespot hasn't, no idea.

Very weird gamespot has an entire section devoted to sports. Is gamespot sporting crazy or something?

I would imagine many of the users outside of America probably don't give a shit about basketball/American Football/Baseball. That's certainly the case with most of Europe.

The biggest thing I long for is a separate Movie/TV forum for this site. I've learned a surprising amount of different viewpoints about films through the movies threads over last couple of months and I would really like to gain more. I really, really hope it gets made sometime soon. If it did get made, I would easily post on it non-stop.

I might sent messages to parts of the staff to see what they have to say on the matter.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12 deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

Oh look. not a single reply from the staff of the mods. -_-

freedom01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 109

#13  Edited By freedom01  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 3676 Posts

@The_Last_Ride The moderator posted his reason on why they were locked.

As for the Last Movie Watched thread, I dont see anything wrong with the content and since no reason was posted, I will unlock the thread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-5b797108c254e

@freedom01: Thank you. Can we expect similar actions if threads like "recommend a book/show" get closed without a reason?

How about "Thread is old. Make a new one"? Is this a valid answer? (Probably better if an admin replies to this one; don't want to pit mods against each other)

freedom01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 freedom01  Moderator

For your question of similar action if threads like recommendation or such is closed without a reason, yes, I will open those threads

As for the second question, I think that would depend on the threads topic.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By The_Last_Ride

@freedom01 said:

As for the Last Movie Watched thread, I dont see anything wrong with the content and since no reason was posted, I will unlock the thread

It's still no valid reason in my opinion as the topic was still active and there was no reason to move on from this topic

Avatar image for shadowchronicle
Shadowchronicle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 66

#18  Edited By Shadowchronicle
Member since 2008 • 26969 Posts

iirc some users felt uncomfortable about the Gamergate topics which is why they were locked.

I apologize that some people are unhappy with the topic being locked as a frequenter of SW. Hope you guys can understand some people feel uncomfortable with the content in the topic and it is more controversial than some of the other topics in SW.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@shadowchronicle said:

iirc some users felt uncomfortable about the Gamergate topics which is why they were locked.

I apologize that some people are unhappy with the topic being locked as a frequenter of SW. Hope you guys can understand some people feel uncomfortable with the content in the topic and it is more controversial than some of the other topics in SW.

wait, the SW gamergate topic is still going...

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By The_Last_Ride

@freedom01 said:

They have not broken ToU rules nor have they offended anyone

Avatar image for shadowchronicle
Shadowchronicle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 66

#21 Shadowchronicle
Member since 2008 • 26969 Posts

@lostrib said:

@shadowchronicle said:

Woops. XD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By deactivated-5b797108c254e

@freedom01 said:

For your question of similar action if threads like recommendation or such is closed without a reason, yes, I will open those threads

Thanks again for your answer. My second question was also related to "suggest X" sort of threads where starting a new one means either lots of (potentially good) suggestions are lost or the users who have previously contributed to them feel forced to repeat everything again.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 The_Last_Ride

@shadowchronicle said:

@lostrib said:

@shadowchronicle said:

Woops. XD

Yeah, but they're getting locked in Games discussions

freedom01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 freedom01  Moderator

@korvus said:

@freedom01 said:

Thanks again for your answer. My second question was also related to "suggest X" sort of threads where starting a new one means either lots of (potentially good) suggestions are lost or the users who have previously contributed to them feel forced to repeat everything again.

if it is that, then I would say that they should be able to use that thread, since there may be potentially good suggestions.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 thehig1

Dont see the point in locking threads if there not offensive,against rules of forum or totally off topic.

I hate reading through a long thread that is an interesting read, then I want to add my two cents but find out I cant because its been locked

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 The_Last_Ride

@thehig1 said:

Dont see the point in locking threads if there not offensive,against rules of forum or totally off topic.

I hate reading through a long thread that is an interesting read, then I want to add my two cents but find out I cant because its been locked

i know, that's my point, it's not a reason to lock a thread just because there is one in another forum. That's not a good enough reason. I want the thread to be unlocked

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 thehig1

@The_Last_Ride said:

@thehig1 said:

i know, that's my point, it's not a reason to lock a thread just because there is one in another forum. That's not a good enough reason. I want the thread to be unlocked

yeah I agree I'd like that thread, and other threads like to be unlocked

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 The_Last_Ride

@thehig1 said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@thehig1 said:

yeah I agree I'd like that thread, and other threads like to be unlocked

it doesn't look like the mods care to follow their own ToU it seems.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-5b797108c254e

@freedom01 said:

if it is that, then I would say that they should be able to use that thread, since there may be potentially good suggestions.

Good to have an official stance on this issue. Thank you again for your time.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By The_Last_Ride

I've still not gotten a straight answer yet

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 thehig1

@The_Last_Ride: I don't think you will either

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 The_Last_Ride

@thehig1 said:

That's total bs, i even tried asking the mods via PM and got the same answer... Which is not an answer! If mods can't follow their own rules what the hell is the point having them?!

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By thehig1

@The_Last_Ride said:

@thehig1 said:

That's total bs, i even tried asking the mods via PM and got the same answer... Which is not an answer! If mods can't follow their own rules what the hell is the point having them?!

This site sucks, I didn't even get a notification for this just happened to check. Only keep visiting these forums because I like a lot of the posters.

Hellenbeck I think his name is, said to me there's no point in digging up old topics, he was referring to the "Worst Movie You have Seen" thread, so I sarcastically said "why not dig it up, I'd seen a bad film and wanted to post in that thread"

Would you rather me make a new thread called " Worst Movie You Ever Seen Part 2 "

He said yeah he'd prefer that....why ? doesn't that just make more work for mods that way.

Bottom line if a thread is on topic, and nothing is breaking the Terms of Use it shouldn't be locked

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 thehig1

We should keep dig this thread up again in 6 months :D

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 The_Last_Ride

@davillain- said:

@thehig1: Also to add to this, when I was reading Hallenback final message when he lock it, he said that anyone tries to dig up an old thread will be Moderated. I didn't like it how he addressed it just because that user was only posting his opinion who didn't break any rules just because it's old. I'm sorry but I never heard of a user getting moderated just for that and as far as I know, he didn't break TOU and I think that needs to be addressed. @The_Last_Ride well Ride, as for as I can tell, I don't think your gonna get a straight up answer and if you couldn't get one, then what's the point of trying to bring back, Ask the Mods board if they can't give you an answer? You could try to PM DigitalDame on the matter is my best suggestion.

i will, i've pm'ed her before. Because this is straight out bullshit

digitaldame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#38 digitaldame
Member since 2006 • 5401 Posts

I'm hearing a lot of concern regarding transparency with the justification behind forum thread locks. I will bring this up with the moderator team and based on the feedback that you all have provided we can hopefully come up with a solution that makes everyone happy. Stand by.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 The_Last_Ride

@DigitalDame: i appreaciate it