Loading takes way to much time

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Lucianu (9214 posts) -

Specifically the forums, which always take 30 - 50 seconds to load, and usually after waiting for them to load, i get a blank screen for which i need to refresh, and again wait.

Combine this with the inability to properly track my posts, and you can imagine what a pain in the ass it can be wen i'm trying to experience the forums.

The site itself is fine, loads instantly.

#2 Edited by KHAndAnime (12711 posts) -

The forums are really boring to use because every page takes a year to load. Even in the beta, when the servers weren't stress tested, the forums were always slow. I don't even think they can fix it.

#3 Posted by angeldeb82 (967 posts) -

This happens to me in Google Chrome every night; whenever I try to go to the website, the loading always takes forever. Not in Internet Explorer, though. I wish someone would fix it. :(

#4 Posted by outworld222 (2097 posts) -

This is very true. Loading takes too long! Pleeeeease fix it gamespot! Thank you.

#5 Posted by WhiteKnight77 (12014 posts) -

Yes, this should be a top priority with the image problem second.

#6 Edited by saltbalsak (2 posts) -

Entire site is incredibly slow now, will switch to new news source soon.

Also, get warning from IE: "Do you want to open or save m.js from secure-us.imrworldwide.com?"

I always hit cancel.

#7 Posted by RobotOpBuddy (64716 posts) -

The speed is largely a result of code being pushed to the site still, among other things, I imagine - so realistically it's temporary, but will likely persist so long as other bugs/features are still being fixed/added constantly. The image problem is/was actually a pretty severe bug, potentially breaking entire profiles or even making it impossible to log on - there's good reason for it being a priority. The affected users seem to have been corrected now, but they'll obviously be making sure it doesn't occur again before enabling the feature for everyone.

Entire site is incredibly slow now, will switch to new news source soon.

Also, get warning from IE: "Do you want to open or save m.js from secure-us.imrworldwide.com?"

I always hit cancel.

I suspect that's trying to run a browser habit checking applet from said ad provider. That said, it's unneeded for the site, and if you value your privacy and don't care for personalised ads (and honestly, I can't imagine many people on the internet do) then cancel it every time or just outright block imrworldwide.com and clear temporary files (though IE is really bad at clearing all the temporary files, often leaving a ton behind) - that should stop it from coming up. Some ad providers are also part of opt-out schemes but I'm not aware of whether or not that particular one is.

#8 Edited by enzyme36 (1357 posts) -

100% agree! For reference... type ign.com in your browser and watch how fast it loads.

And the only way to get to the forums is to google it... the community button on the main page simply does not work. How long do they think we will put up with this before we find a different source?

#9 Posted by SteveN (569 posts) -

Pushed a performance fix to hopefully speed up the forums. Based on my tests on my local machine, forums should load 30 to 40% faster. Now, instead of embarrassingly slow, it's at just somewhat slow. Will continue to work on it as we get more bugs fixed.

#10 Edited by BranKetra (46493 posts) -

If GameSpot is working for great forum activity, faster speed is essential.

#11 Posted by edgework (311 posts) -

How are you guys feeling about load times now?

#12 Edited by angeldeb82 (967 posts) -

@edgework said:

I'm feeling pretty well so far.

#13 Edited by BranKetra (46493 posts) -

@edgework said:

I would like them to be faster.

#14 Posted by johnd13 (7355 posts) -

There's some improvement but I would want it a bit faster.

#15 Posted by michaelP4 (16680 posts) -

I still find the site to be very slow (can take longer than a minute to load just one small topic or even news feature) - even with pages sometimes not loading at all and I get a timeout error. Definitely a huge problem which prevents me from using the site. Really hope it's fixed soon.

#16 Edited by Mr_KMG (2971 posts) -

6 seconds to load 150KB of data? what is this 2002 broadband?

EDIT: Don't know how 2 copies of the same image ended up in the post but I'm not going to fix it just as another example of how broken the Giant Bomb Gamespot post editor is

#17 Posted by befo72 (62 posts) -

@edgework said:

Definitely better than before but still not up to the usual snappiness. It took approximately about 5 seconds to load up the site's main page versus the 10-15 of the other day.

#18 Posted by WhiteKnight77 (12014 posts) -

It does seem to be loading a bit faster, bit there is an issue that I haven't seen anyone talk about yet, after the page loads, something happens that cause something else to load a few seconds later.

#19 Posted by perkinsj26 (298 posts) -

I can actually load pages without them failing completely now... but honestly the amount of time it takes to move between a single page makes me want to move to a different site to get my news.

#20 Edited by edgework (311 posts) -

We are making improvements in load time every day. StevenN make a huge improvement on Monday and since then we've cut milliseconds here and there. We still have lots of fine tuning to do now that the ship is flying.

Keep reporting your woes of slow here please...

#21 Edited by mrZillion (15 posts) -

This site has become really bad in terms of functionality and speed. I want old Gamespot back :(

I find myself using other game sites now, which I didnt before.

And btw, try a search on Battlefield. BF3 and BF4 are on page 3.

#22 Posted by Lanatir (11 posts) -

Using Chrome from Germany i can say, in this current state the site is unusable for me. loading times of 20 seconds plus whenever i click on anything, sorry. Wont bother with it anymore. Plus the 'new releases' list seems to be bugged too since it shows ancient games.

Luckily Jess McDonnells Videos are available on Youtube too. If it stays that way i will also stay....away.

#23 Edited by OmitName (709 posts) -

for me loading time was down by at least half today. welldone.

#24 Posted by michaelP4 (16680 posts) -

I'm still finding the site to be very slow. Took near a minute to load this page and allow me to post - even tried it on other browsers and devices and all of them were equally as slow. Other sites load very quickly for me - only GS is very slow - so definitely not a problem on my end.

#25 Posted by OmitName (709 posts) -

it still takes a while but its definitely cutting down on the time. *forme

#26 Posted by DigitalDame (3499 posts) -

As Rob said, code is being actively pushed twice a day, there have also been a few other variables that have caused issue with the site. But we're working on getting things back up to speed.

#27 Edited by mittelhaeuser (1 posts) -

It seems like everything got worse but the looks.

But loading time is most irritating.

Very bad update for a good site.

But there's a lot more wrong.

How can you order games by rating for example?

And how come Halo 3 is listed as first game that's out now for Xbox 360?

#28 Edited by ArmoredCore55 (23753 posts) -

It happens to me sometimes, too.

#29 Posted by ete-san (32 posts) -

Very slow. What system is it supposed to be streamlined for?

#30 Posted by rockyterrain (509 posts) -

It is extremely slow for me, now. This site has lost most of its practical funcitionality for me. Too long to load, game ratings list has disappeared and when I try to add a game to my "Now Playing" stack, I get a Submission Error when trying to save. Only thing this site has remaining for me is my owned game list and now that's spread over four stacks in a ramble tamble order with no easy sorting function. It's quite sad; I've been a member of this site for nine years.

#31 Edited by nutcrackr (12143 posts) -

Today has been very bad when loading forum pages.

#32 Posted by edgework (311 posts) -

Its been 3 days since a report here... No news is good news?

#33 Posted by rockyterrain (509 posts) -

@edgework:

'fraid not. No news is nothing's changed and we're waiting for that update to hit. If it's already been done, then it didn't work on my end. My computer froze for awhile this time when loading up Gamespot.

#34 Posted by edgework (311 posts) -

@edgework:

'fraid not. No news is nothing's changed and we're waiting for that update to hit. If it's already been done, then it didn't work on my end. My computer froze for awhile this time when loading up Gamespot.

Can you tell me:

• Your internet provider
  • Your system details
  • The results of the following commands run on your command line:

ping gamespot.com

windows: tracert gamespot.com

mac: traceroute gamespot.com

and try in Incognito mode and see if there's a speed increase (logged in)

Please...

#35 Posted by rockyterrain (509 posts) -

@edgework:

My internet provider is AT&T. As for your other questions, you've taken me in an IT direction that I have no idea how to answer or try.

#36 Posted by edgework (311 posts) -

@rockyterrain:

OK. go to http://www.speedtest.net/ and run the test and tell me the result. Please.

#37 Posted by rockyterrain (509 posts) -

@edgework:

Ping 16 ms

Download speed 4.56 Mbps

Upload speed .66 Mbps

#38 Edited by Blabadon (23692 posts) -

"Go tell me something, but I won't answer you"

#39 Edited by R3FURBISHED (9443 posts) -

I am absolutely having the same issue as the TC - this page, which I timed on my phone, too me 49.8 seconds to load.

And in regards to my internet speeds:

EDIT:

Edit: At this exact instance, the site is up and running as normal - very quick loading. And i can't upload images because of "Internal Server Error" but the website is running quickly

#40 Posted by LegatoSkyheart (23654 posts) -

been trying to access the Forums all day.

Just now able to get back on them. Just a big white page and sometimes a "website not available" page.

#41 Posted by AmazonTreeBoa (15935 posts) -

been trying to access the Forums all day.

Just now able to get back on them. Just a big white page and sometimes a "website not available" page.

Same here. This is my first time all day being able to get on the site.

#42 Posted by WhiteKnight77 (12014 posts) -

Apparently there was a DDoS attack yesterday and it has been said to stop such is expensive. To have such problems on top of a website that is bug ridden and featureless is not a way to attract new people to the site.

#43 Posted by leon2365 (13038 posts) -

the site never lags for me. everything loads extremely fast.