Known Login Problems - Should be Resolved

This topic is locked from further discussion.

simonsez112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 simonsez112
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts

Hi All-

I manage the development team here at CBS Interactive Games.

Yesterday made a change to GameSpot to enable SSL (Secure Socket Layer) login in order to add a layer of security to login, especially for public networks. That change had 2 problems in it which resulted in users not being able to login to GameSpot (if they were not already logged in).

The two problems were:

1. We have a bit of security that prevents users from hacking others by guessing passwords and forces a CAPTCHA image to be displayed on a number of failed login attempts. This security check misfired and caused many users who did not have failed login attempts to receive the CAPTCHA.

2. The CAPTCHA image itself was not loading outside of our networks. This was a big mistake that we did not pick up during our QA process as we were testing through out networks, and we will adjust our testing procedures going forward to account for this.

Both of these problems have been resolved now (we hope!), but if you are still having login problems please email us at community at gamespot.com and we will investigate.

I'm very sorry for this problem, this was our fault and we will work hard to prevent it from recurring.

-simon

gmax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 gmax  Moderator
Member since 2005 • 6865 Posts
Thanks for the intervention Simon! Cold logins look normal again here.

Loegi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Loegi
Member since 2009 • 1692 Posts
Did you change the allowed password characters to not allow special characters like: #$%^&* etc.? Because my previous password doesn't work anymore, not even after multiple resets. But without including special characters it does work. Not necessarily a problem, but it isn't mentioned when you reset the password, and it just accepts it. You just can't log in with that password.
simonsez112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 simonsez112
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts

Did you change the allowed password characters to not allow special characters like: #$%^&* etc.? Because my previous password doesn't work anymore, not even after multiple resets. But without including special characters it does work. Not necessarily a problem, but it isn't mentioned when you reset the password, and it just accepts it. You just can't log in with that password.Loegi

Thanks for reporting that - the characters accepted as valid should not have changed. Was it all of those particular characters that you used? We'll definitely look into this.

Loegi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Loegi
Member since 2009 • 1692 Posts

[QUOTE="Loegi"]Did you change the allowed password characters to not allow special characters like: #$%^&* etc.? Because my previous password doesn't work anymore, not even after multiple resets. But without including special characters it does work. Not necessarily a problem, but it isn't mentioned when you reset the password, and it just accepts it. You just can't log in with that password.simonsez112

Thanks for reporting that - the characters accepted as valid should not have changed. Was it all of those particular characters that you used? We'll definitely look into this.

It didn't work with the & symbol, and I tried it with the $ symbol and that did work.
cum_ova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 cum_ova
Member since 2004 • 55 Posts

i have login problems

im from australia, always use the US website however it doesnt let me login there anymore, i need to login into the australian website then switch to the US one to be logged...anyone have this issue?

Wren28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Wren28
Member since 2005 • 27811 Posts

I have log in problems, twice now I've been logged out automatically and when I go to log in it says password is incorrect even though I know for a fact I have put it in correct, forcing me to reset my password.

KrazzyDJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#13 KrazzyDJ
Member since 2009 • 465 Posts
Still not able to login even after resetting the password. I've currently somehow managed to login temporarily but if I logout and login again or login from a different machine, it will throw a login error !!!
DR-ZMBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#14 DR-ZMBK
Member since 2009 • 95 Posts

Hi,

Can you please help me with the problem I have?

I have been having problems logging in for a long time. I had to reset my password several times now (5 times) I think.

I keep getting the invalid password screen every other time I try to log in. It is starting to get annoying.

Please fix this problem and please let me know that my voice was heard.

JodyR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 JodyR
Member since 2005 • 16454 Posts

Hi,

Can you please help me with the problem I have?

I have been having problems logging in for a long time. I had to reset my password several times now (5 times) I think.

I keep getting the invalid password screen every other time I try to log in. It is starting to get annoying.

Please fix this problem and please let me know that my voice was heard.

DR-ZMBK

Thanks for following-up. This isn't associated to what Simon is saying above, it's the original bug we reported. Either way, your login history shows that you have had some problems logging in so I've shared this with other staff. Hopefully we can resolve this soon.

SilentD2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 SilentD2
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts

having same issue as above

proevo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#17 proevo
Member since 2003 • 26 Posts

i have an issue also . when i try and log in i cant and only way to do it is to reset password and i can temporarely log in when i log out i cant log in again....and its password reset time again

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127502 Posts
I got the error just now. It did work when I went to the login page though. Also why does gs redirect back and forth between www and us domain?
doubutsuteki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#19 doubutsuteki
Member since 2004 • 3425 Posts

Same here, I have to request a password reset to be able to login.

kurtven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20 kurtven
Member since 2005 • 105 Posts

I can only login when I reset the password :evil: