It's time to get rid of System Wars

This topic is locked from further discussion.

PS4hasNOgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 PS4hasNOgames
Member since 2014 • 2620 Posts

I have been guilty of trolling and being an asshole on system wars, Ive come to the realization is that system wars does not do ANYTHING good for this site or gaming. All it does is promote separation and negativity. If this was a site about religion or nationality, then system wars would be the equivalent of a "racism" forum.

It does nothing to promote gaming, all it does is promote nastiness and "haha's" and "LOL's" and "My piece of plastic is better than yours" type of thing.

Every console and platform is great for what they are. Just like every religion and nationality or preference is good for what they are, system wars puts down peoples freedom of choices. Its like if this site was called religionspot, would you have a forum called "religion wars"?

I know gaming is not as serious as religion but gaming for a lot of people are a favorite past-time or hobby, some peoples entire lives revolve around gaming. I just feel like system wars is all about negativity and instead of promoting gaming it only demotes it.

I for one will not use that part of the forum anymore and I think the sooner you get rid of it the happier and funner this site will be.

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29824 Posts

@ps4hasnogames said:

I have been guilty of trolling and being an asshole on system wars, Ive come to the realization is that system wars does not do ANYTHING good for this site or gaming. All it does is promote separation and negativity. If this was a site about religion or nationality, then system wars would be the equivalent of a "racism" forum.

It does nothing to promote gaming, all it does is promote nastiness and "haha's" and "LOL's" and "My piece of plastic is better than yours" type of thing.

Every console and platform is great for what they are. Just like every religion and nationality or preference is good for what they are, system wars puts down peoples freedom of choices. Its like if this site was called religionspot, would you have a forum called "religion wars"?

I know gaming is not as serious as religion but gaming for a lot of people are a favorite past-time or hobby, some peoples entire lives revolve around gaming. I just feel like system wars is all about negativity and instead of promoting gaming it only demotes it.

I for one will not use that part of the forum anymore and I think the sooner you get rid of it the happier and funner this site will be.

Okay, bye.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3  Edited By thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

@ps4hasnogames: system wars is ok, just stop being an asshole in there

JDW_games

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 JDW_games
Member since 2006 • 1892 Posts

System Wars is fine when it's a decent debate. But the childish arguing and the fanboy comments can definitely be obnoxious. I personally can find great games on all consoles. I happen to be an old school fan of Nintendo and yes even Atari stuff, and I love the PS4 for the next gen gaming. But you won't catch me bashing someone for their opinion on their favorite console. It's only video games guys. It's fun. Nothing to argue really.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

@ps4hasnogames: If SW is closed at GS then I am done coming to this site. They already butchered this site enough. And the forum is the only this that keeps GS interesting.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#6  Edited By JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

The System Wars fanboyish attitude needs to go away. I think throwing that forum out the window would help in that regard. There really isn't a reason to be dicks to people when debating things and that's all I see coming out of that forum.

Avatar image for CrownKingArthur
CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 CrownKingArthur
Member since 2013 • 5262 Posts

religion could learn a thing or two from system wars about how to behave with civility towards those who are a little different from one another.

Ribstaylor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Ribstaylor1
Member since 2014 • 2186 Posts

Why it was ever even considered a good section to have in a forum is beyond me. Literally spawns stupidity, lowering the quality of your site by a great margin,

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 Randolph
Member since 2002 • 10542 Posts

System Wars brings GS desperately needed traffic, these forums are borderline dead now compare to previous years. What you have posted here is not an original thought. You are not the first to say this, and will not be the last. Meanwhile, system wars will chug along, with or without you. Deal with it.

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Randolph
Member since 2002 • 10542 Posts

Also, lol at people who take system wars seriously. It's hilarious that so many people just don't "get it".

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29824 Posts

@JustPlainLucas said:

The System Wars fanboyish attitude needs to go away. I think throwing that forum out the window would help in that regard. There really isn't a reason to be dicks to people when debating things and that's all I see coming out of that forum.

It is what it is. I go there for the lulz, and honestly, a lot of users there get gaming info before most of the sites. If someone's being an a-hole, ignore or troll back. Whole thing is a joke anyway.

aretilda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#12  Edited By aretilda
Member since 2014 • 499 Posts

I find all the ya-huh na-uh arguments highly entertaining, I say keep it otherwise the forums would be kinda boring.

Aquat1cF1sh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Aquat1cF1sh
Member since 2006 • 11096 Posts

I agree, it's an awful message board. :P

If I go there I usually only go in the discussion topics, not the 15 year old fanboy topics.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#14 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

How about we just get rid of you.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 JustPlainLucas

@clone01 said:

@JustPlainLucas said:

It is what it is. I go there for the lulz, and honestly, a lot of users there get gaming info before most of the sites. If someone's being an a-hole, ignore or troll back. Whole thing is a joke anyway.

Well, it would be nice for a lot of gaming info and reasonable discussion to occupy the forum it originally came from 15 years ago: Games Discussion. That place is so dead these days.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 thehig1

@Randolph said:

System Wars brings GS desperately needed traffic, these forums are borderline dead now compare to previous years. What you have posted here is not an original thought. You are not the first to say this, and will not be the last. Meanwhile, system wars will chug along, with or without you. Deal with it.

I agree with that, this forum is quiet as it is, if you close the down the section of the forum that has the most traffic the site would be more of a ghost town than it already is

verbtex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#18  Edited By verbtex  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 9196 Posts

@ps4hasnogames said:

System Wars is actually my favorite part of the site.

The rule is to not take it too seriously.

verbtex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 verbtex  Moderator

@JustPlainLucas said:

System Wars' main intention is to make GGD much more pleasant for those who choose not to play fanboy games. Did you want that back in GGD? That would be the effect of closing System Wars.

And if we didn't allow that kind of traffic in GGD and didn't give them their own forum, we would be locking about half the topics in GGD. Typically spekaing, the best way to promote discussion is to not lock half the topics.

Sebasgt1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#20  Edited By Sebasgt1
Member since 2014 • 57 Posts

@thehig1 said:

Look man! I am going to be as mean as possible. Stop being and an asshole and shut up! This page is for mature gamers who can debate calmly and sometimes agree with the other side. The problem is all this 10 year old are all fanboy and start doing sh*t! If you have a problem with them I don't care. However, this page is for real mature debate, and sometimes find the best console in the time. Or people ask what to buy. It doesn't promote separation, but accepting other ideas and giving your opinion. Hope you understand!

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 JustPlainLucas

@verbtex said:

@JustPlainLucas said:

System Wars' main intention is to make GGD much more pleasant for those who choose not to play fanboy games. Did you want that back in GGD? That would be the effect of closing System Wars.

And if we didn't allow that kind of traffic in GGD and didn't give them their own forum, we would be locking about half the topics in GGD. Typically spekaing, the best way to promote discussion is to not lock half the topics.

But GD is dead. It's not pleasant. It's boring. When posts from four days ago are still on the first page, that's bad!

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By thehig1

@sebasgt1 said:

@thehig1 said:

Look man! I am going to be as mean as possible. Stop being and an asshole and shut up! This page is for mature gamers who can debate calmly and sometimes agree with the other side. The problem is all this 10 year old are all fanboy and start doing sh*t! If you have a problem with them I don't care. However, this page is for real mature debate, and sometimes find the best console in the time. Or people ask what to buy. It doesn't promote separation, but accepting other ideas and giving your opinion. Hope you understand!

He even said himself he acts like an Ass on there, I just said System Wars is ok just stop acting like an Asshole on there.

If you were trying to be as mean as possible your not very good at being mean.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52426 Posts

The only fun place on Gamespot.

It really is a matter of "getting" it. Don't like it, jog on. There's other boards.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#25  Edited By Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

System Wars board is total garbage, but it's the only active place on the whole website. Needs better rules. At least make people think you're trying to fix the problems there.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

TC makes SW a worse place

humanistpotato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 humanistpotato
Member since 2013 • 555 Posts

k lol

Articuno76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#28 Articuno76
Member since 2004 • 19799 Posts

@ribstaylor1 said:

Why it was ever even considered a good section to have in a forum is beyond me. Literally spawns stupidity, lowering the quality of your site by a great margin,

From what I remember it was originally designed as a containment field for fanboyism, keeping it off the rest of the site.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#29 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

They do not have to close it

PS4hasNOgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By PS4hasNOgames

@clone01 said:

@ps4hasnogames said:

Okay, bye.

@The_Last_Ride said:

They do not have to close it

@Articuno76 said:

@ribstaylor1 said:

From what I remember it was originally designed as a containment field for fanboyism, keeping it off the rest of the site.

@humanistpotato said:

k lol

@lostrib said:

TC makes SW a worse place

@freedomfreak said:

The only fun place on Gamespot.

It really is a matter of "getting" it. Don't like it, jog on. There's other boards.

@thehig1 said:

@sebasgt1 said:

@thehig1 said:

He even said himself he acts like an Ass on there, I just said System Wars is ok just stop acting like an Asshole on there.

If you were trying to be as mean as possible your not very good at being mean.

@sebasgt1 said:

@thehig1 said:

@verbtex said:

@JustPlainLucas said:

@thehig1 said:

@Randolph said:

I agree with that, this forum is quiet as it is, if you close the down the section of the forum that has the most traffic the site would be more of a ghost town than it already is

@aretilda said:

I find all the ya-huh na-uh arguments highly entertaining, I say keep it otherwise the forums would be kinda boring.

@Aquat1cF1sh said:

I agree, it's an awful message board. :P

If I go there I usually only go in the discussion topics, not the 15 year old fanboy topics.

Ok then, since Gamespot won't close it because all they care about is getting more clicks hence more money....which in actuality is them getting paid to promote negativity....I will unleash the wrath, believe me you haven't seen anything yet.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 lostrib

@ps4hasnogames said:

Ok then, since Gamespot won't close it because all they care about is getting more clicks hence more money....which in actuality is them getting paid to promote negativity....I will unleash the wrath, believe me you haven't seen anything yet.

So you're basically just threatening to troll SW a bunch...which is what you do anyways

Enjoy your moderations

verbtex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 verbtex  Moderator

@ps4hasnogames said:

When did GameSpot have an official stance stated? It doesn't seem that the staff actually said anything on this topic, only a few mods and some users. I in a way represent Gamespot, but am not allowed to give an official stance.

verbtex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 verbtex  Moderator

If you really don't like System Wars, I would recommend just avoiding the board all together.

verbtex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 verbtex  Moderator

@Bigboi500 said:

System Wars board is total garbage, but it's the only active place on the whole website. Needs better rules. At least make people think you're trying to fix the problems there.?

What suggestions do you have to make the board better?

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Bigboi500

@verbtex said:

@Bigboi500 said:

System Wars board is total garbage, but it's the only active place on the whole website. Needs better rules. At least make people think you're trying to fix the problems there.?

Why have moderators there if they don't do much policing? I get called all kinds of vile names there, but if I report all the insults I get karma banned for a day. That's just dumb. The posts might get removed if they're bad enough, but no penalty to the abusers at all.

Mods have a lot of power to cherry pick comments they don't like from users they don't like and moderate them, but the process has no standards to go by, so if a favored user insults someone they'll likely get away with it while others who fire the same shots back might get a warning or moderation. Several of the mods are ardent fanboys who don't even try to hide their personal bias. One in particular doesn't like me and mods me every chance he gets over petty nonsense. How am I supposed to defend myself if others can attack me with no penalty, but the moment I engage them I get slammed? Stuff like that reeks of petty politics and personal grudges, abuses of power etc.

Either start enforcing some sort of standardized rules or make the place a free-for-all.

Stop allowing unrelated blog threads that have zero to do with systems. Again, a popular user gets away with much more than someone who is disliked or unnoticed.

I've been here a long time so I know who most of the vet mods and users are, and I see advertisements for their personal websites in threads that receive special treatment, like stickies just for them. Stuff like that just oozes conflict of interest, as far as equal treatment of posters are concerned.

You guys always ask me how to make SW a better place, but numerous times I've offered feedback, quality feedback from a veteran poster, but it always gets thrown aside. Seems like you guys just ask to pacify complaints with no intention of actually listening to educated suggestions.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#36 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

@ps4hasnogames: what are you talking about? Just avoid it?

verbtex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 verbtex  Moderator

@Bigboi500 said:

@verbtex said:

@Bigboi500 said:

Why have moderators there if they don't do much policing? I get called all kinds of vile names there, but if I report all the insults I get karma banned for a day. That's just dumb. The posts might get removed if they're bad enough, but no penalty to the abusers at all.

Mods have a lot of power to cherry pick comments they don't like from users they don't like and moderate them, but the process has no standards to go by, so if a favored user insults someone they'll likely get away with it while others who fire the same shots back might get a warning or moderation. Several of the mods are ardent fanboys who don't even try to hide their personal bias. One in particular doesn't like me and mods me every chance he gets over petty nonsense. How am I supposed to defend myself if others can attack me with no penalty, but the moment I engage them I get slammed? Stuff like that reeks of petty politics and personal grudges, abuses of power etc.

Either start enforcing some sort of standardized rules or make the place a free-for-all.

Stop allowing unrelated blog threads that have zero to do with systems. Again, a popular user gets away with much more than someone who is disliked or unnoticed.

I've been here a long time so I know who most of the vet mods and users are, and I see advertisements for their personal websites in threads that receive special treatment, like stickies just for them. Stuff like that just oozes conflict of interest, as far as equal treatment of posters are concerned.

You guys always ask me how to make SW a better place, but numerous times I've offered feedback, quality feedback from a veteran poster, but it always gets thrown aside. Seems like you guys just ask to pacify complaints with no intention of actually listening to educated suggestions.

I know I personally am guilty of being pretty lame recently in terms of moderating and policing the place.

If you are karma banned, you should be able to message the mods to have us reset your karma. The penalty system is different with the site redesign.

If you feel that a moderator is abusing their power, or is unfairly moderating you, you should talk to an administrator. They take those cases pretty seriously.

If you have suggestions that be added to the survival guide, PLEASE make a thread here in feedback, I will consider it, and if I can, bring it up with the other mods for admin approval so that the rules can be changed.

Blog threads should be locked, please continue to report them.

If you feel a moderator is creating a conflict of interest, talk to an administrator. I have no power over that.

I take most suggestions pretty seriously. Granted I'm not always around like I used to be in 2011-2012, I'm still supporting the System Wars community.

PS4hasNOgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 PS4hasNOgames

@lostrib said:

@ps4hasnogames said:

So you're basically just threatening to troll SW a bunch...which is what you do anyways

Enjoy your moderations

i don't give a shit, this shitty site is not my entire life like it is yours.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 lostrib

@ps4hasnogames said:

@lostrib said:

@ps4hasnogames said:

Enjoy your moderations

i don't give a shit, this shitty site is not my entire life like it is yours.

Then just leave if you don't like it here

Avatar image for deactivated-57de35bf0f08e
deactivated-57de35bf0f08e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 deactivated-57de35bf0f08e
Member since 2014 • 386 Posts

Fine by me because it's full of fools.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56092 Posts

No I thinks it's time for System Wars to be Fanboy Wars cause that's all I'm seeing just about every day and SW used to be good but now, it's all about Fanboys.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Bigboi500

Yeah it's very hypocritical that the rare policing that does still take place is essentially the locking of threads with fanboy flame in the title, but the comments are filled with them but that's alright?

Also, SW is no longer a safe place for kids with all the alt threads with gay porn showing up everyday and the authorities here have zero power to stop it. It's starting to look just like 4***n around here. Never thought it could sink this low.

PimpHand_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By PimpHand_Gamer
Member since 2014 • 3048 Posts

Although most forums don't have a System Wars like area, every forum has threads from Windows vs OSX to Console this vs Console that and so on. So it's not like such discussions would ever go away.

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By super600  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 33103 Posts

@Bigboi500 said:

Yeah it's very hypocritical that the rare policing that does still take place is essentially the locking of threads with fanboy flame in the title, but the comments are filled with them but that's alright?

Also, SW is no longer a safe place for kids with all the alt threads with gay porn showing up everyday and the authorities here have zero power to stop it. It's starting to look just like 4***n around here. Never thought it could sink this low.

That people creating the accounts have been trying to hurt the board for literally two months.There is literally nothing we can do besides ban the accounts and get rid of the posts they create until the appropriate channels at CBSi have been notified which will probably happen very soon or has already happened.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

Yes let's get rid of one of the most if not most active forum on the site that is already bleeding dry. SW may have some window licking comments but it's actually one of the most active communities on this site.