IMG URL's and smileys issue

This topic is locked from further discussion.

DirkVDV01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 DirkVDV01
Member since 2004 • 20155 Posts
When I want to paste an image into my message, and I include the IMG tags around it, the images should appear normally. However, when in some way the image location URL has a predefined smiley character combination in it, the link gets rendered useless, because some combination of characters gets translated into smileys. For example:  The link should work, but it doesn't, since the : and o get converted into this :o Adding spaces isn't a solution because a %20 or a regular space (which is basically the same) is then included in the URL and it makes it, again, useless. Example:  Can this be fixed?
ulillillia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#2 ulillillia
Member since 2006 • 685 Posts
This is very related to the forbidden errors thing.  When I have the resolution 1024x768 with a ")" right after the 8, it gets converted into a smiley unintentionally and it looks very weird.  The fix is to filter it by having spaces surrounding the smiley.  That is, filter by " .8.). ", or space, eight, end parenthesis, space (the last space can be left out).  I'm not sure if it works, but try replacing the colon character in the URL with %3A.  %20 denotes the space and %3A denotes the colon.  This works as long as colon after the very start and two slashes at the end (for the protocol type) is present.  Although you can "encode" the URL, the trick seems to only work in IE and not Firefox.  I've explained the trick here.
RobotOpBuddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: -3

#3 RobotOpBuddy  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 65506 Posts
^that's one way that might work...other alternatives are to simply remove thegoogle part from the start of the image in that particular case, leaving the image URL as http://www.removal-supply.co.uk/pictures/zip_ties_large.jpg in this example; or simply inserting the image (or even link) via html instead of BBCode - this can be done via typing it in manually or using the WYSIWYG editor's insert image(or hyperlink) button... for instance this particular image would have a html source code (which is what you normally type into if you use the quick post feature or have the editor turned off, and is what you see when you click the toggle html source button if you use the editor) would look something like this if you typed it in manually: (the attribute&value border="0" is normally added if you use the editor to do it, but you won't necessarily see the code if you use the editor anyway) or would just appear straight as the image in the post if you used the editor button....