Image uploading (avatar) fix here!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#101 Posted by MetalDragon199 (190 posts) -

is it safe to assume that content=""elkrules" is just to make you feel good about yourself ?

#102 Posted by Nintendo_Ownes7 (30917 posts) -

@MetalDragon199 said:

is it safe to assume that content=""elkrules" is just to make you feel good about yourself ?

Probably; That was my only problem I had to get rid of the elkrules for it to work.
I didn't even notice it at first.

#103 Posted by carlisledavid79 (10503 posts) -

Is this thing on?

#104 Posted by PiscesChick93 (10714 posts) -

Okay, this is just making me feel super confused, haha. I appear to be doing it right as it looks like yours in the OP, am I missing something Elk? :P It just won't change! :(

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/pBEnZFm.png[/IMG]

#105 Posted by Pirate700 (46465 posts) -

So...any word on making sigs work yet?

#106 Posted by BranKetra (50220 posts) -

@Elk: That code works as a temporary fix. Are we telling the site your rules or that you rule?

$('head').append('<meta name="roles" content="elkrules" /> ');

#107 Posted by PumpkinBoogie (3367 posts) -

@Elk said:

BOOM!

BOOM, indeed!! Thanks, Elk! That was gonna irk the hell outta me waiting for GS to fix it (seeing as they got so much going on w/ the transition anyway), lol. NOW my profiles lookin' fly ^_^

#108 Edited by WhiteKnight77 (12017 posts) -

I can enter the console and can paste that workaround but when I try to save anything after pasting the URL for my avatar in the document section, nothing happens. I am using Opera 11.60. GS needs to fix this stuff.

#109 Posted by Kats_RK (2080 posts) -

I love you man.

#111 Posted by BranKetra (50220 posts) -

@WhiteKnight77 said:

I can enter the console and can paste that workaround but when I try to save anything after pasting the URL for my avatar in the document section, nothing happens. I am using Opera 11.60. GS needs to fix this stuff.

If you refresh the tab you insert the code into, the console forgets the code for the fix.

Does that help?

It is just a temporary fix for the time being.

#112 Edited by bobbetybob (19307 posts) -
@WhiteKnight77 said:

I can enter the console and can paste that workaround but when I try to save anything after pasting the URL for my avatar in the document section, nothing happens. I am using Opera 11.60. GS needs to fix this stuff.

I don't think URL's work, try saving the image and uploading it that way.

#113 Posted by PumpkinBoogie (3367 posts) -

@WhiteKnight77: Is Opera the only browser you use? I ask b/c if you do use Chrome or FF, too, and you have them installed all you have to do is simply open either one of them, follow Elk's instructions and save and then open GS back in Opera and the changes should still be reflexed. I did the changes using Chrome (b/c I couldn't find the proper settings in my 64bit-build of FF/Nightly; I mean I found them but they weren't exactly the same and I could see a particular thing Elk mentioned), but they not only carried over into Nightly build of FF, but Cyberfox, Chrome Canary, and IE10, as well.

All you have to do is change it in one of the above browsers (Chrome breaks it down the easiest, imo) and it will reflex in the rest. Just don't forget to save your changes.

#114 Edited by secret_luser (26 posts) -

Hello. Im in ur forumz fixing da bug so yer hack won't werk.

#115 Edited by Caddy (28709 posts) -

Great stuff. Thanks.

#116 Edited by PiscesChick93 (10714 posts) -

YAY finally did it haha!

Thanks Elk! :)

#117 Edited by Elk (473 posts) -

@MetalDragon199: No. That's required for the script to work XD

#118 Edited by Elk (473 posts) -

@PumpkinBoogie: That's a pretty good profile. I'm still liking mine though.

#119 Edited by PumpkinBoogie (3367 posts) -
@Pirate700 said:

So...any word on making sigs work yet?

You do know you could've of applied this same rule to doing sigs, right? 0_o

The settings for adding a sig image is in the same area where you changed your avy pic (as is user profile pic & background pic). Matter of fact, it's right above it.]

#120 Edited by Shottayouth13- (6879 posts) -

Thank you for this fix. You are far more competent than the entire GS programming staff.

#121 Posted by Elk (473 posts) -

@secret_luser: I don't like that cat -_- but I hope it does get fixed soon. A better GameSpot for all!

#122 Edited by Pirate700 (46465 posts) -

@PumpkinBoogie said:
@Pirate700 said:

So...any word on making sigs work yet?

You do know you could've of applied this same rule to doing sigs, right? 0_o

The settings for adding a sig image is in the same area where you changed your avy pic (as is user profile pic & background pic). Matter of fact, it's right above it.]

You know sigs are not working right now, right? 0_o

#123 Edited by superfalcon1234 (260 posts) -

Thank you

#124 Edited by blackace (21580 posts) -

@Elk said:

@VintAge68: Hey VintAge! That doesn't make a lot of sense. But try this line instead, make sure you have the entire line starting with the $

$('body').append('<meta name="roles" content="elkrules" /> ');

Ok, i think I got it to work now. Let's see.

#125 Posted by Elk (473 posts) -

@Shottayouth13-: ^.^ I won't agree with that, but I appreciate the compliment.

#126 Edited by TAMKFan (33052 posts) -

I did all that and uploaded my avatar, but it still won't show up here in the forums.

#127 Posted by Elk (473 posts) -

@TAMKFan: Make sure it's set as your avatar and not just an uploaded image.

Go here: http://www.gamespot.com/profile/settings/ and set your avatar from an already uploaded image. (you'll have to run the script again when you go to that page)

#128 Edited by WhiteKnight77 (12017 posts) -

@PumpkinBoogie said:

@WhiteKnight77: Is Opera the only browser you use? I ask b/c if you do use Chrome or FF, too, and you have them installed all you have to do is simply open either one of them, follow Elk's instructions and save and then open GS back in Opera and the changes should still be reflexed. I did the changes using Chrome (b/c I couldn't find the proper settings in my 64bit-build of FF/Nightly; I mean I found them but they weren't exactly the same and I could see a particular thing Elk mentioned), but they not only carried over into Nightly build of FF, but Cyberfox, Chrome Canary, and IE10, as well.

All you have to do is change it in one of the above browsers (Chrome breaks it down the easiest, imo) and it will reflex in the rest. Just don't forget to save your changes.

Yes, Opera is the only browser I use though on occasion I have to use IE. I should not have to install 3 or 4 different browsers to do something. GS did not test everything out nor did they have enough people testing out features with enough different browsers (I never got an invite to the beta otherwise this would have been found before opening up the new forums and site).

Does anyone know if BB code works with this new forum software? I know it isn't working in sigs right now. I wonder if this image will post? Who knows?

[img]http://www.whiteknight77.net/gallery/sa/images/WKap.gif[/img]

*edit* Well, [img] tags do not work either.

#129 Edited by morf76 (25 posts) -

nice one, cheers

#130 Edited by CrimsonBrute (24074 posts) -
@Elk said:

You can also do this on a forum and use it to post images!

Or you can just drag and drop.

865.jpg

#131 Edited by Elk (473 posts) -

@WhiteKnight77: I love Opera, but I have to admit to never testing my own sites in Opera either since the market share is just too low. My hack should work in Opera, I've not tried it in Opera next, but you get to the console by right clicking and selecting "Inspect element" and then selecting console.

Oops. I see here that you have already opened the console. Yeah I see other issues with Opera too all over the place -_-

#132 Edited by Lucianu (9644 posts) -

Damn nice find, man, thanks.

My sig. shows up just fine btw.

#133 Edited by Jerell_rast (7093 posts) -

Nice! It worked!

#134 Edited by Elk (473 posts) -

@Jerell_rast: Geez, don't act so shocked that I got something right O_o XD

#135 Posted by TAMKFan (33052 posts) -

@Elk said:

@TAMKFan: Make sure it's set as your avatar and not just an uploaded image.

Go here: http://www.gamespot.com/profile/settings/ and set your avatar from an already uploaded image. (you'll have to run the script again when you go to that page)

Oh, okay. I got it now. Thanks.

#136 Edited by Capitan_Kid (6641 posts) -

Youre a good guy TC

#137 Edited by PumpkinBoogie (3367 posts) -
@Pirate700 said:

@PumpkinBoogie said:
@Pirate700 said:

So...any word on making sigs work yet?

You do know you could've of applied this same rule to doing sigs, right? 0_o

The settings for adding a sig image is in the same area where you changed your avy pic (as is user profile pic & background pic). Matter of fact, it's right above it.]

You know sigs are not working right now, right? 0_o

Well, mines works fine. Did you upload a sig image and SAVE it......better yet, did you change the option to allow sigs to be seen?? I believe it's set to 'off' by default. Turn it on (or enable whatever wording used), upload a sig image, and save. Don't know know what to tell you other than that, unless I got lucky. You'll use the same rules Elk set up to add avy pics to add your sig pic.

@Elk said:

@PumpkinBoogie: That's a pretty good profile. I'm still liking mine though.

Hmm, I must admit....it IS full of epic banging-ness there, lol. I'm super jelly now.....:P

#138 Edited by Elk (473 posts) -

@Capitan_Kid: Sadly I'm kind of a jerk, today just caught me in a good mood.

#139 Posted by Elk (473 posts) -

@Kats_RK: <3

#140 Posted by Rayrota (1456 posts) -

Dude, you rock! You rock so hard! This new site is so broken.

#142 Edited by Pirate700 (46465 posts) -

@PumpkinBoogie said:
@Pirate700 said:

@PumpkinBoogie said:
@Pirate700 said:

So...any word on making sigs work yet?

You do know you could've of applied this same rule to doing sigs, right? 0_o

The settings for adding a sig image is in the same area where you changed your avy pic (as is user profile pic & background pic). Matter of fact, it's right above it.]

You know sigs are not working right now, right? 0_o

Well, mines works fine. Did you upload a sig image and SAVE it......better yet, did you change the option to allow sigs to be seen?? I believe it's set to 'off' by default. Turn it on (or enable whatever wording used), upload a sig image, and save. Don't know know what to tell you other than that, unless I got lucky. You'll use the same rules Elk set up to add avy pics to add your sig pic.

No, your sig does not work fine. Only you can see it. That's the current problem with the signatues.

#143 Posted by sammyjenkis898 (28343 posts) -

Okay, I'm going to be stupid here. I'm on a mac and I can't figure out how to do this on chrome.

Anyone?

#144 Edited by Elk (473 posts) -

@sammyjenkis898: I don't remember what key opens up the console on mac. So just right click and select "inspect element" and reach the console from the window that appears.

#145 Edited by BrunoBRS (73366 posts) -

umm... what the hell? my avatar is zoomed in like hell.

#146 Edited by sammyjenkis898 (28343 posts) -

Hm.. it worked for me at first, but when I tried it again, it just brings me back up to the top of the page.

Bleh.

#147 Edited by Rayrota (1456 posts) -

@BrunoBRS said:

umm... what the hell? my avatar is zoomed in like hell.

It's probably the site doing that, look at my avatar.

#148 Edited by PumpkinBoogie (3367 posts) -
@WhiteKnight77 said:

@PumpkinBoogie said:

@WhiteKnight77: Is Opera the only browser you use? I ask b/c if you do use Chrome or FF, too, and you have them installed all you have to do is simply open either one of them, follow Elk's instructions and save and then open GS back in Opera and the changes should still be reflexed. I did the changes using Chrome (b/c I couldn't find the proper settings in my 64bit-build of FF/Nightly; I mean I found them but they weren't exactly the same and I could see a particular thing Elk mentioned), but they not only carried over into Nightly build of FF, but Cyberfox, Chrome Canary, and IE10, as well.

All you have to do is change it in one of the above browsers (Chrome breaks it down the easiest, imo) and it will reflex in the rest. Just don't forget to save your changes.

Yes, Opera is the only browser I use though on occasion I have to use IE. I should not have to install 3 or 4 different browsers to do something. GS did not test everything out nor did they have enough people testing out features with enough different browsers (I never got an invite to the beta otherwise this would have been found before opening up the new forums and site).

Does anyone know if BB code works with this new forum software? I know it isn't working in sigs right now. I wonder if this image will post? Who knows?

[img]http://www.whiteknight77.net/gallery/sa/images/WKap.gif[/img]

*edit* Well, [img] tags do not work either.

Then give it a whirl and try it in IE. I'm sure it's frustrating that the setting doesn't do what it's suppose to w/ your choosen browser, Opera, but I think as Elk mentioned maybe it's just an unfortunate oversight--seeing as the market shares for Opera (while it is a good browser) isn't as high as it is for the IE, FF, and Chrome. And you have to bare in mind, this whole test is still in 'testing' mode; we're all just able to participate in it now. But it's still in beta; where's gonna be glitches that are still need ironing out.

IE also has a dev tool option/settings. Just use long enough to do what you want to achieve, then hop on back over to Opera. Even if you make the changes in IE, as I mentioned, it should still show when you hop onto GS in Opera, as well.

#149 Edited by alexisgallisa (31 posts) -

We have a fix incoming to reenable image uploads for all users. It was a really dumb bug and as soon as everyone woke up today we realized it. Thank you @Elk for the workaround.

#150 Edited by konvikt_17 (22378 posts) -

awesome. many internets to you!