Honest thoughts about the website layout

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by scott1213 (1666 posts) -

I've always loved the gamespot website layout, but ever since the switch over to this new "mobile phone" style, I've been trying to get used to it.

All I can say is I can't get used to it. It's just not working for me at all. It seems like the all the features that made Gamespot "Gamespot" are gone. The sleek look of the website, returning members, many forum boards, unions, easy navigation. All gone.

I know i'm not the most active user on gamespot but I just thought I'd voice my opinion.

#2 Posted by leon2365 (13038 posts) -

at least you voiced it in an orderly fashion. many other user usually just rant in a partially illegible post.

#3 Edited by EvanTheGamer (1103 posts) -

Its really bad.

Please revert the site back.

#4 Edited by leon2365 (13038 posts) -

I don't think it would be a good idea to revert to the old site. especially considering how many bugs that one had, and how much work has gone into this new layout.

#5 Edited by wild10th (2 posts) -

I agree totally. I miss not being able to select news, reviews, and information on an individual system. I used to love picking xbox 360 or ps3 at the top to get the site to show you things tailored to just what's happening with those consoles. Now it feels all mixed in meaning your having to sift through everything to find stuff that interests you. There may be something I'm missing but it's certainly not user friendly. I've recently been avoiding the site and just picking through the gamespot videos on YouTube. For websites I'm going with ign or eurogamer but there not as good as the old gamespot site layout.

#6 Posted by beutlich99 (1086 posts) -

Give me back the functionality of the "my collection" section from the old site.

#7 Edited by minkbikini (8 posts) -

I used to come here alot for my gaming news but with the new layout (doesn't load videos on my work computer, barely functions in general), I've been using IGN more. All I see on this bug board is a lot of excuses from the mods about "we are working on it" [translation: go away and quit bothering us]

#8 Edited by leon2365 (13038 posts) -

or it could mean that they will take a long time to fix it. they said the same thing about "union boards," and 2 months later, they were implemented.

#9 Edited by KingOfOldSkool (1687 posts) -
@scott1213 said:

I've always loved the gamespot website layout, but ever since the switch over to this new "mobile phone" style, I've been trying to get used to it.

All I can say is I can't get used to it. It's just not working for me at all. It seems like the all the features that made Gamespot "Gamespot" are gone. The sleek look of the website, returning members, many forum boards, unions, easy navigation. All gone.

I know i'm not the most active user on gamespot but I just thought I'd voice my opinion.

I feel that during the process of trying to modernize the site most of what set it apart from the competition was filtered out. Between there being more of a focus on increasingly mediocre gimmick staff content, a significantly lower focus on community contributions, and a derivative 'style over functionality' feel to the current design direction, there's not much at all bringing me back.

#10 Posted by orbit991 (588 posts) -

Yea, it's not that useful for me at least. Used to be able to look at the top games by platform on the front page, now it's just a handful of all platform games. Also why get rid of the easily browsable upcoming games by week section and replace it with what looks like random games listing?

#11 Posted by juantwiy (2 posts) -

In my opinion, many usefull features were lost with this layout.

-The option of looking at every game of a console in orde of rating is no longer available.

-Also searching has become more difficult and many unrelated results pop up in the first places.

-When I was looking for games to buy, I usually tend to take a look to the "view similar" option or the "same universe" which also has dissapeared (or at least I cannot find it).

Hope they put them back soon

#12 Posted by dr_jashugan (2523 posts) -

I'm sure many users share the same sentiment as yours, TC (me included).

I WANT THE EMOTICONS BACK!!! :-(