Help! Cannot access account!

#1 Edited by dummy-account (7 posts) -

And before anyone asks, this has nothing to do with me getting my username or password wrong.

Here's what happened.

I needed to change the e-mail address associated with my account, because I'm changing ISPs and will no longer have access to my old e-mail. After I tried to change it to the new email I'd like to use, I lost all access to the account. I can no longer sign in with my username (AtheistPreacher) and password.

I have been a member for a long time, and had never verified my e-mail. So I tried to verify my new address... "We couldn't find any account matching this email." Okay, so I try to verify my old e-mail. I get the verification link, but I still can't sign in.

So I try the "forgot password" thing. For both my username and new email address, it tells me "We couldn't find any account matching this email or username." When I try my old e-mail address, I get "Woops! Something wrong happened, we are working on it!"

So I went to try creating a dummy account using the new e-mail. The system tells me someone has already registered with that e-mail, despite the fact that the system won't verify it and can't find it for the purposes of sending a lost password! So now I've created a dummy account with a third e-mail just so I could start this thread and post about this nonsense.

PLEASE get my old username "AtheistPreacher" working again with my new e-mail address. Afterwards, I'd like this dummy account to be deleted. I am already getting unwanted e-mails from Gamespot (and am STILL getting them to my old e-mail address, despite not being able to sign in), I don't want another of my e-mails getting clogged up with more spam.

#2 Posted by RobotOpBuddy (65064 posts) -

Please PM a staff member such as @DigitalDame (or @LarkAnderson), I believe there's an issue with the forgot password feature, but regardless it's likely only staff members will be able to get you back into your account in this scenario. You may have to be patient when it comes to waiting for a response, as they generally have a lot on their plate.

PS: It's generally not wise to post information such as your email address on public forums, bots (and other malicious individuals) can easily pick them up which can result in being spammed, etc.

#3 Posted by dummy-account (7 posts) -

@robotopbuddy said:

Please PM a staff member such as @DigitalDame (or @LarkAnderson), I believe there's an issue with the forgot password feature, but regardless it's likely only staff members will be able to get you back into your account in this scenario. You may have to be patient when it comes to waiting for a response, as they generally have a lot on their plate.

PS: It's generally not wise to post information such as your email address on public forums, bots (and other malicious individuals) can easily pick them up which can result in being spammed, etc.

Believe me, I didn't like posting several of my e-mails publicly, but it seemed like it might be the only way to get anything resolved. Gamespot is remarkably terrible at providing any general contact method that will actually lead to get something done. And this is the only time ever where changing account info on a site caused me to lose access to the account altogether. Ridiculous.

For now I have deleted my e-mails from the first post and will try PMing the people you mentioned. Neither of them have been laid off, have they?

#4 Edited by JP_ (12864 posts) -

No, Lark and DigitalDame werent