GameSpot.com changes to light theme

• 55 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by JodyR (16412 posts) -

Hey everyone!

According to the recent community announcement we have made some changes to make GameSpot.com's default theme to light. Let's vote on what you all prefer for a fun activity to participate in!

While the poll will not change the default theme back to dark, it would be interesting to see what you all prefer.

#2 Posted by JP_ (12876 posts) -
I have to say the lights out version is the best for my eyes cause I am used to the dark of it also I can read the text easier
#3 Posted by double_decker (145822 posts) -
I prefer the dark theme, much easier on the eyes, so lights out for me.
#4 Posted by G013M (6424 posts) -
I've always found the light theme to be hard on the eyes (even though funnily enough I find light themes fine on other sites :P), although it still remains as the dark theme when I log in, so it doesn't impact me that much.
#5 Posted by carstairs (6631 posts) -
Dark. I have a bright monitor and often browse in low light, and the bright theme can be downright garish depending on how late it is. Everything seems to come together better on dark, too.
#6 Posted by Sheena321 (7489 posts) -
i much prefer the dark theme, i think the light theme just doesnt look right, and its very hard on the eyes too.
#7 Posted by theunloved (1441 posts) -

I like the dark theme better myself. It just seems so much easier to see things and looks nicer in my view.

#8 Posted by JodyR (16412 posts) -

I am forcing myself to the light version all week just to make sure things look okay. I have to say it's more difficult to read the content, but I am sure if I figured out how to lower the brightness on my monitor it might not be so bad.

#9 Posted by Dariency (9406 posts) -

What motivated the staff to change the default to light? I'd say most prefer the dark theme, and I agree.

#10 Posted by MAILER_DAEMON (45906 posts) -
I prefer... the Ice theme. :(
#11 Posted by JP_ (12876 posts) -

I am forcing myself to the light version all week just to make sure things look okay. I have to say it's more difficult to read the content, but I am sure if I figured out how to lower the brightness on my monitor it might not be so bad.

JodyR
I know what to do do you know how to change the height and length of the screen look of a icon that looks like a sun and I am sure you should be able to change both the contrast and the brightness And also I tried a week also and well...Nothing good happened after day 3
#12 Posted by Hegna1 (6118 posts) -

I'm going for dark. I'm just used to it by now, and I really don't like when a site's all white.

Plus I've heard that showing white on a moniter takes a bit more energy. (could be wrong, I'm not quite sure)
Using the dark background saves our eyes, electricity bills, and the environment! XP

#13 Posted by Dariency (9406 posts) -

I prefer... the Ice theme. :(MAILER_DAEMON

I know it's not exactly the same, but you're not using Ice 2.0?

#14 Posted by Pixy64 (400 posts) -
Yeah, i like ice blue too
#15 Posted by phoenyx9 (2441 posts) -

I prefer the dark theme, the light theme makes my eyes feel like they are bleeding. :x

I also miss the ice theme. :(

#16 Posted by Dan_Lero (7485 posts) -

I can't stand the light theme, it's hard on the eyes. But i really don't see the need in this random change, why not invest time into something everyone wants like the Ice Theme?

#17 Posted by Caddy (28709 posts) -
The light version is horrible, in my opinion. I prefer the dark version of the site. Although, to be honest, I use my custom ice theme as default because it's by far the best looking. Bring back the actual ice theme on GS!
#18 Posted by msudude211 (44518 posts) -
I definitely like the dark theme better.
#19 Posted by Setho10 (3180 posts) -
So I think the community has spoken on this matter. I don't get why you guys would change it to light when most people prefer dark. Seems like it would be best to gather data on what most users are using and then choose that as default, or make it an easy switch from white to black.
#20 Posted by Dariency (9406 posts) -

So I think the community has spoken on this matter. I don't get why you guys would change it to light when most people prefer dark. Seems like it would be best to gather data on what most users are using and then choose that as default, or make it an easy switch from white to black. Setho10

I think they're saying in the announcement that most people seem to prefer the light theme. I don't know where they get those numbers though.

#21 Posted by Caddy (28709 posts) -

I think they're saying in the announcement that most people seem to prefer the light theme. I don't know where they get those numbers though.

dog64
I don't know either. Anybody I have ever spoken to, and not just in this tread, prefers the dark theme.
#22 Posted by Dariency (9406 posts) -

[QUOTE="dog64"]

Caddy06_88

I don't know either. Anybody I have ever spoken to, and not just in this tread, prefers the dark theme.

Hmm. Maybe this thread is more than just a fun little activity to participate in ;) :P

#23 Posted by msudude211 (44518 posts) -
I think they went with white to compliment some of the Raptr features they're incorporating - it doesn't look as good with the dark theme. Go to Modern Warfare 2's page (for the 360), switch from light to dark, and you'll see what I mean.
#24 Posted by MAILER_DAEMON (45906 posts) -

[QUOTE="MAILER_DAEMON"]I prefer... the Ice theme. :(dog64

Yeah I am, though I had to make a few modifications to it. I just wish that GS would make an official one, especially since they never gave subscribers anything resembling an explanation or alternative perk.
#25 Posted by Dariency (9406 posts) -

[QUOTE="dog64"]

[QUOTE="MAILER_DAEMON"]I prefer... the Ice theme. :(MAILER_DAEMON

Yeah I am, though I had to make a few modifications to it. I just wish that GS would make an official one, especially since they never gave subscribers anything resembling an explanation or alternative perk.

Well, I think the Gamespot Ice days are over really. Who knows if the same staff that designed Ice is still there or not.

#26 Posted by MAILER_DAEMON (45906 posts) -

[QUOTE="MAILER_DAEMON"][QUOTE="dog64"]

dog64

Well, I think the Gamespot Ice days are over really. Who knows if the same staff that designed Ice is still there or not.

They are; at least some of them. Not the original Lithium one of course, but I know that some of the techs are still around from previous GS iterations. Dunno if they worked on the skins, per se...

#27 Posted by double_decker (145822 posts) -

They are; at least some of them. Not the original Lithium one of course, but I know that some of the techs are still around from previous GS iterations. Dunno if they worked on the skins, per se...

MAILER_DAEMON
Would they possibly have the ice theme template still be around GS storage somewhere in their database from when they had it before that one of the techs could clean up for the Wide Format? Or maybe one of the techs currently here would be interested in making a similar theme to the old Ice one for GS? It wouldn't be the same, but it'd be a close compromise and something different for paid subscribers to choose from.
#28 Posted by DivineSword (15788 posts) -

I prefer my lights out rather than having them on to be quite honest. After reading the Weekly Report on Monday, I tried adjusting the page to the light theme but immediately revert back to the dark theme after a couple tries; and I have to say the adjustment from dark to light is a rather difficult transition to say the least.

#29 Posted by topsemag55 (19063 posts) -

Lights out for me: easier to read everything.

#30 Posted by icytower (10643 posts) -

Dark is sooooooooo much better then the light. Light version just does a horrible number on my already bad eyes.

Agreed 1,000,000%, we want ice back!

#31 Posted by Azghouls (731 posts) -

*Blows the candle's flame*

Ahhh - lights off!

#32 Posted by dab198 (3926 posts) -
Definitely lights off. As I've said before, I hate the light theme, and it still bugs me when some features don't have a dark layout.
#33 Posted by Dracula68 (33109 posts) -

Definitely dark. Preferably Ice would be best but if it has to be between dark and light I like evil which is dark:twisted:

#34 Posted by WeaponXY (1280 posts) -

I've used the Light theme for months now. It's a lot less depressing. :P

#35 Posted by ArmoredCore55 (23875 posts) -
The dark theme, don't really like the light theme that much.
#36 Posted by gmax (6862 posts) -
Definitely dark for me... Sometimes I actually run with no color to make it as dark as possible - black backgrounds everywhere, whitish text, semi-old school blue/purple links. I think of it as the "xray" theme. The votes are kind of funny so far... Where'd the data come from that was used to rationalize the change?

#37 Posted by Dariency (9406 posts) -

Where'd the data come from that was used to rationalize the change?

gmax

Someone needs to contact those scientists :P

#38 Posted by fastesttruck (25353 posts) -
A dark ice theme would win by far I bet.... But anywho getting back to what we can have, I voted dark theme. The light one is too bright and makes the eyes hurt.
#39 Posted by WeaponXY (1280 posts) -

I hope that the Ice Theme is brought back. My friend had a Total Access account and I always thought that it looked really cool.

#40 Posted by fastesttruck (25353 posts) -

I hope that the Ice Theme is brought back. My friend had a Total Access account and I always thought that it looked really cool.

WeaponXY
really TBH I don't understand why they don't. I really can't see it being THAT hard of a task for them to do...
#41 Posted by JodyR (16412 posts) -

The odd thing about me. I like viewing the forums with the dark theme and the light theme looks good with the regular site content like news, reviews, and features. Is it just me?

#42 Posted by fastesttruck (25353 posts) -

The odd thing about me. I like viewing the forums with the dark theme and the light theme looks good with the regular site content like news, reviews, and features. Is it just me?

JodyR
The orange color links and the such help to break it up. Just tried it out and it does look a bit better for looking at the game pages and the such. But also as you stated, the dark theme on the forums looks better than the light.
#43 Posted by double_decker (145822 posts) -

JodyR
I'll have to try that, at least it's convenient to switch back and forth with the quick button up by the drop down menu. That was a good idea whoever thought of that one. 8)
#44 Posted by Teenaged (31748 posts) -

Well I just switched to the light theme for just a few minutes in order for me to type my impression while viewing it's tiring because theres not enough contrast. Everything turns into milky-white with too few border lines to make things more "stable". Indeed orange looks better in white/light-grey background, but the thing I mentioned before is annoying.

Now I am on the post-creation page and it looks better than the actual forums page because it has a grey thick border around the area of the text editor and the text box and it kinda makes it easier for the eye and easier to visually "navigate" in. Perhaps if the while is somewhat broken down with some more distinct border lines (in colour grey perhaps) or just something else perhaps it would be better.

As of now though I am sticking to the dark theme.

#45 Posted by uas-2001 (18773 posts) -
Easily dark. Makes GameSpot look unique too, different from other gaming sites.
#46 Posted by Jak_Napier (5831 posts) -

i think that i still have the dark theme, my friend who recently joined GameSpot has the lighter theme. Dunno how that works or what happened there but just curious to see how it works.

#47 Posted by pecanin (863 posts) -

Light/White is good

thumbs up for that one

#48 Posted by Horgen (111429 posts) -
Since I am used to the dark version I also prefer the dark version.
#49 Posted by Caddy (28709 posts) -
I think it's pretty clear to see what the community actually wanted from this thread, but alas, apparently it doesn't matter. However, it's not like the dark theme isn't still usable (although I hate the fact that all new features are only in the light theme and can't be changed, which actually leads me to not bother with them because my eyes start to get irritated.)

I still don't understand where the 'numbers' of people that prefer the light theme came from though.
#50 Posted by TheRedStrike (603 posts) -

I like the lighter theme simply because it's lighter, but the orange fonts on links (like in the forums) are very ugly. I hope GameSpot makes several theme with more colors :(