Gamespot's "pending" comment policy and their censorship.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

DaBatman617

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By DaBatman617
Member since 2015 • 25 Posts

I am quite done with this website. The filtering of comments and the censoring is just getting out of hand. Gamespot treats its members like 6 year old prepubescent children and quite frankly it is insulting. When my comments gets hit with the "pending" because I use the word "dumb" it is just ridiculous. Why does there have to be any sort of censoring at all? Why does Gamespot feel the need to censor peoples thoughts and feelings? Do the people who run this site live in some tyrannical totalitarian communist state where blocking freedom of speech is encouraged? I see most of the people who do the reviews and the journalism are from England, is your little Kings and Queens being made up of anti freedom of speech tyrants now? This site used to be cool, instead of censoring peoples thoughts and feelings, they made up a show that made fun of peoples thoughts and feelings by making fun of their comments (feedbackula) but instead, they cancel that show and just censor anyone's comment that even remotely comes off as confrontational. It is sad, I have been coming on this site since 1998 and now it just sickens me by the lack of freedom speech practiced here. I am moving over to IGN, where even though they censor certain comments, they are not nearly as bad as this site. I come to these sites to discuss the gaming world, weather that discussion is friendly, a debate or even a insult ridden argument, I should not have my thoughts censored and deleted. As an American citizen (I know I will be mocked for saying that) I find it insulting and a spit in the face. Good day Gamespot. It has been fun for the last 17 years but now it is time for me to move on to greener pastures.

Avatar image for popeanonymousxv
PopeAnonymousXV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2 PopeAnonymousXV
Member since 2014 • 168 Posts

98% of the comments on the website are of the rough intelligence and maturity of a six year old, so I guess it makes sense. The comments sections are only barely more tolerable than Youtube.

rick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By rick
Member since 2013 • 913 Posts

I just tested this and it seems the only word that puts me into pending is "****"

Anyway, we have no control over this, its a third party commenting system Livefyre.

DaBatman617

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 DaBatman617

@edgework said:

I just tested this and it seems the only word that puts me into pending is "****"

Anyway, we have no control over this, its a third party commenting system Livefyre.

No disrespect bud but i call BS on that. I have no reason to lie. I am against censorship but I would semi understand if I got hit with the pending if I was actually curising, but 99% of the time when I am making a "confrontational" post it is in response to something dumb someone said to me, and I get hit with the pending for words like "troll", dumb", "stupid", jerk". I literally just made a post 5 minutes ago and I got hit with the pending, I erased every word one by one until I found the word that was making it do that and it was literally the word "retarded" and I was not referring to anyone when using that word. I do not know why you guys had to put some third part cencorship crap on this site because it has ruined it. Like I said, you guys had that cool show feedbackula where you just made fun of all the rage post, you guys made light of it, but now you just censor everyone? Just wow...

DaBatman617

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 DaBatman617

I even remember like 2 weeks ago when I was making a post in the comment section and instead of using the word "shit" i used the word "poop" just to kind of be funny and I STILL got hit with the pending, with the word "poop", are you joking me? I do not know if the pending thing is different for different people but all I do know it that the censorship on this site is really becoming poopy.... -_-

digitaldame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#7 digitaldame
Member since 2006 • 5401 Posts

@dabatman617:

This isn't a bug, not with the site anyway. Unfortunately, there are people out there who are unable to conduct themselves appropriately. To avoid temptation, we have a list of words that are "blocked" from the comments.

Furthermore, I'd like to point out that it clearly states in the CBSi Terms of Use:

Do not: Transmit [Post] any material that is inappropriate, profane, vulgar, offensive, false, disparaging, defamatory, obscene, illegal, sexually explicit, racist, that promotes violence, racial hatred, or terrorism, or that we deem, in our sole discretion, to be otherwise objectionable.

Additionally, it states in our Community Code of Conduct:

While swearing is (to an extent) permitted on the site in general, try to keep it classy and refrain from using any vulgar language that would offend someone else. Racial slurs or Hate Speech are not allowed and any person caught using them will be banned. Explicitly sexual or profane descriptions and writing are not allowed. Profanity directed in an attack against another member is subject to the same considerations as flaming and trolling (see above).

digitaldame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 digitaldame

I would semi understand if I got hit with the pending if I was actually cursing, but 99% of the time when I am making a "confrontational" post it is in response to something dumb someone said to me.

Incidentally, I can see your full posting history and according to your file, your account has been flagged by the both the filter and our community for various infractions (including but not limited to harassment). If you would like a full breakdown of your moderation history I'd be more than happy to provide that information to you.

But to summarize, your typical posting style is in need of improvement if you wish to continue posting here.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

@DigitalDame: Why is Ralph a banned word? Tried to say Ralph in the Pixels movie article and my comment was pending.

digitaldame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 digitaldame

@Gamerno6666: "Ralph" is not one of the words on the profanity filter. According to the article item, it says that it was removed for the following:

History

• Submitted as pending by Gamerno6666 at 5:58pm on Mar 17, 2015
  • Flagged as profane by Publishing profanity rule. at 5:58pm on Mar 17, 2015
  • Spam check passed by SAFE at 5:58pm on Mar 17, 2015
  • Approved by *MOD at 8:17pm on Mar 17, 2015

Looks like it's just a bug.

Kraven1845

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Kraven1845
Member since 2011 • 145 Posts

I just had a comment that was pending and was ultimately deleted. All I said was "thanks for the good reply, it's rate not to be bombarded with trolls".... Seriously gamespot? Thanking someone for being mature iand not being a troll is not ok?

digitaldame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By digitaldame

@Kraven1845: No one is saying the filter is fool proof. When we switch to the new commenting system we will be taking much of this feedback into consideration. Because while yes, I agree that the filter is overzealous, there are some words that will never be allowed on the site, and -that- is what the filter is for.