Gamespot needs new smileys!

• 118 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by KLAX42 (3368 posts) -

This thread clearly shows that the Gamespot community feels that a smiley update is long overdue. We would like to see the addition of:

• Awesome Face http://failurecasca.de/wp-content/uploads/awesome_med.png
  • An improved 'indifferent' face, as opposed to the current one who appears to be more disgusted than indifferent
  • A :D face that doesn't look quite as creepy
  • An improved "lol" face
  • "Cute" faces
  • The return of the original Gamespot smileys

We're not asking for a replacement of the current ones, just for some new ones to be added to the collection.

#2 Posted by Video_Game_King (27545 posts) -
How about we have some members of GameSpot design 'em, eh? Eh?
#3 Posted by psn_Jaimzl (1241 posts) -
"lolcat" face perhaps?
#4 Posted by msudude211 (44516 posts) -
These smileys are great. I think Gamespot should focus on more important things...
#5 Posted by JodyR (16412 posts) -

Meant to post something about this months ago but I couldn't find the topic again.

Anyways, can you guys give me a list of the different kinds of emoticons you'd like to see?

1) Need the name of the emotion or circumstance
2) A description of what kind of smiley would visually describe the emotion or circumstance
3) The digits that give off these emoticons. For instance putting : ) (added space to avoid it turning into emoticon) will add a smiley face.
4) Is it animated or not? The less animations the better so make the animated ones count!

Also, don't you think the emoticons list should have a mouse over saying what each emoticon is?

Here is an example of what I am looking for 'each' emoticon.

Name: Confusing
Detail: A smiley looking dizzy in some way, maybe question marks all over his head.
Digits: Maybe C: or ?: if those are not already taken
Animated: only if there is no other way to describe a crazy emoticon

#6 Posted by msudude211 (44516 posts) -
Ok, I support this as long as the current smilies are staying. I'll post a few tonight after my practice.
#7 Posted by Video_Game_King (27545 posts) -

OK, I'll try out:

Name: Sad Winky (not a pet, but an emoticon)
Detail: Combine the winking smiling face with a frown, combining suggestive content and deep regret.
Example: Did you find anything there [SAD WINKY]

Digits: Obviously, a semicolon and open parenthesis. ;(
Not animated
And a mock up: Example, again: Did you find anything there?

Another one:

Name: Shifty Eyes
Detail: Well, just show their eyes squinting, the pupils darting back and forth.
Digits: Well, since you can't really do it with just regular ones, I'd suggest :shift:.
Animated example

#8 Posted by carstairs (6631 posts) -

I've always wanted a "party" one. And the other conveys a confusion I once saw in a lolcat.

I did mock-ups. Good exercise in sprites.

Name: Party!
Detail:
Digits: Can't use a "less than" for the hat and : Party: is impossible thanks to the : P one. :Hat:, perhaps?
Animated: Don't see a need for this one.

Name: Hm?
Detail:
Digits: It's a shame the digits are already sideways :P. And : | is taken. :Side: or :Sideways:, perhaps?
Animated: Again, I don't see a need for this one to be animated.

#9 Posted by Video_Game_King (27545 posts) -

What about a few video game based ones? Like Kirby, Mario, Sonic, Master Chief, etc. I remember there were several themes in the early days of this site, one of them being robot smileys, so I don't see why this would be impossible.

#10 Posted by Video_Game_King (27545 posts) -

Not a new smiley, but an improved one:

An indifferent smiley that looks reasonably pissed. That's the way I've seen it used.

#11 Posted by msudude211 (44516 posts) -

An indifferent smiley that looks reasonably pissed. That's the way I've seen it used.

Video_Game_King
That thing looks mad to me...
#12 Posted by Video_Game_King (27545 posts) -

[QUOTE="Video_Game_King"]

msudude211

Hey, it's hard to make a good indifferent smiley.

#13 Posted by BadassZetta (557 posts) -
Make sure they don't have triggers that could turn up anywhere people aren't trying to use them. *shakes fist at the 8) smiley*
#14 Posted by msudude211 (44516 posts) -

[QUOTE="msudude211"][QUOTE="Video_Game_King"]

Video_Game_King

Hey, it's hard to make a good indifferent smiley.

Yah, especially given the small size of smileys.
#15 Posted by JodyR (16412 posts) -

Sticking this for a bit. Thanks for the current list! I really like the party idea. Some people have birthdays or have something to celebrate.

#16 Posted by fastesttruck (25353 posts) -
[QUOTE="BadassZetta"]Make sure they don't have triggers that could turn up anywhere people aren't trying to use them. *shakes fist at the 8) smiley*

I hate that one. its such a pain when posting something with numbers and that evil thing shows up. why can't it be :8 ) with out the space?
#17 Posted by Video_Game_King (27545 posts) -

[QUOTE="BadassZetta"]Make sure they don't have triggers that could turn up anywhere people aren't trying to use them. *shakes fist at the 8) smiley*fastesttruck
I hate that one. its such a pain when posting something with numbers and that evil thing shows up. why can't it be :8 ) with out the space?

Or why not just :cool: ?

Also, PLEASE change the :? smiley. I hate when I type up one smiley like :question: or :cry:, put it at the end of a question, and see this guy. Oh, and get rid of the ones between winking and indifferent. When was the last time anybody used them? I've never seen them used.

#18 Posted by Dracula68 (33102 posts) -

<

Also, PLEASE change the :? smiley.Video_Game_King

Nooooo, I use that one the most!

#19 Posted by Video_Game_King (27545 posts) -

Also, PLEASE change the :? smiley.Dracula68

Nooooo, I use that one the most!

Not the literal smiley, just what you enter to get it. How many times have you tried to make a smiley only to end up with that face and a lot of text that was meant to be a smiley.

#20 Posted by msudude211 (44516 posts) -

Oh, and get rid of the ones between winking and indifferent. When was the last time anybody used them? I've never seen them used.

Video_Game_King
Which ones are those? I'm not using the editor.
#21 Posted by Video_Game_King (27545 posts) -

Oh, and get rid of the ones between winking and indifferent. When was the last time anybody used them? I've never seen them used.

msudude211

Which ones are those? I'm not using the editor.

*sigh* I'll post all of them:

:!::question::idea::arrow:

And on the third one, why is it idea? Is that supposed to be a light bulb? Looks more like a guage where the arrow is dead.

#22 Posted by lancelot200 (61977 posts) -

Dancing

1) Dancing
2) It's basically a dancing emoticon. It can be use in any moment of celebration or that you are proud of (i.e: a new game, new achievement, party post).
3) (Dance) or (D)
4) Animated. You can't dance if it's not animated...

I have other dancing icons but I think that's the better one visually. Anyone care to give feed back on this?

Gifs 9

1) Wrong Forum!
2) I'm sure the mods would love this! :lol: People could use it for threads, but the word isn't technically right.
3) (WF)
4) Non-Animated if you can stop the animation

I actually have this one uploaded in my images. :P Feed back?

#23 Posted by Video_Game_King (27545 posts) -

Dancing

1) Dancing
2) It's basically a dancing emoticon. It can be use in any moment of celebration or that you are proud of (i.e: a new game, new achievement, party post).
3) (Dance) or (D)
4) Animated. You can't dance if it's not animated...

I have other dancing icons but I think that's the better one visually. Anyone care to give feed back on this?

lancelot200

I think I foudn a better one. Long, but good:

#24 Posted by msudude211 (44516 posts) -
Lancelot, I don't think the "Wrong Forum" smiley would work. It would promote users to solely post that smiley when another user posts in the wrong forum, which would be disruptive posting.
#25 Posted by lancelot200 (61977 posts) -
They should know better though. It's like only posting an lol emoticon. Or just a happy face. Just because it has words with the emoticon it shouldn't encourage people more so than the rest.
#26 Posted by msudude211 (44516 posts) -
They should know better though. It's like only posting an lol emoticon. Or just a happy face. Just because it has words with the emoticon it shouldn't encourage people more so than the rest.lancelot200
But those smileys don't have words on them like this one does.
#27 Posted by Dracula68 (33102 posts) -
They should know better though. It's like only posting an lol emoticon. Or just a happy face. Just because it has words with the emoticon it shouldn't encourage people more so than the rest.lancelot200
Exactly, any emoticon only post is essentially a content free post and falls under disruptive posting.
#28 Posted by lancelot200 (61977 posts) -
I have the law behind me now. :P Do you have any other comments on my nomination msu? About Utility or whatever?
#29 Posted by Video_Game_King (27545 posts) -

Back to the matter at hand...

Name: Mario Indifferent
Description: Mario+indifferent, it's in the damn title.
Text: How about :marioindf: ? (And please fix the :? thing I mentioned before *points to this sentence*.)
Example: Seriously, dude ?

It's from a Somari sprite sheet.

#30 Posted by msudude211 (44516 posts) -
[QUOTE="lancelot200"]I have the law behind me now. :P Do you have any other comments on my nomination msu? About Utility or whatever?

I just don't think it's that hard to say "This is the wrong forum." With your new idea, you'd be posting a smiley that says "Wrong Forum" and posting "this is the wrong forum" in order to avoid getting moderated. It's quite redundant.

Also, I love the :x smiley, but I wish it looked more like the other smileys. Is there any way this can be done?
#31 Posted by horseyjesse (565 posts) -

Well, I have always wanted justa standard kissy smiley

but maybe I am a minority.

Have you guys every seen the emoticons they have in the XAT chatrooms? They are choc full of awesome smilies, many are video game themed http://xat.com/smileys A lot of them are animated, but idea wise, some could work without the animations.

#32 Posted by 789shadow (20195 posts) -

I'm perfectly fine with the current smileys,but I'm completely open to new ones as long as none of the old ones are discarded.

#33 Posted by Fishn4Zora (230 posts) -

A facepalm smiley would be awesome.

#34 Posted by Video_Game_King (27545 posts) -

A facepalm smiley would be awesome.

Fishn4Zora

That in itself is a facepalm moment. How can it be considered a smiley if you don't see the face? How do you draw the hand? Wouldn't a hand in there mean that it has a body, which would no doubt lead to very weird smileys?

#35 Posted by Hungry_bunny (14293 posts) -

Name: Agreeing with you
Detail: Something like this  but not so stupid looking, it should be able to replace the words "I agree"
Digits: :agree:
Animated: If it nodded it's head then it would REALLY make it easier to understand the point of that smiley.

Name: Serious Tophat

Detail: This one  , should be used in serious threads by serious people.
Digits: :tophat:
Animated: No need... but it's a lot taller than other smileys so i hope that's alright.

#36 Posted by rudeaz (48 posts) -
x-eyed skully face
#37 Posted by JodyR (16412 posts) -

Thanks for everyone's ideas so far. I forgot about the :expression: digits too. Good stuff.

#38 Posted by SavoyPrime (40915 posts) -

I would like to see the XD emoticon.

I've seen it used all kinds of ways, but most of the time I see it used in embarassing situations. Example: I wouldn't think RE5 sucks so bad if I could actually not suck at aiming. XD

Name: Embarassing
Digits: :embarassing: and/or XD

#39 Posted by msudude211 (44516 posts) -
I like the XD icon, as long as it can be made to look more like the current smileys.
#40 Posted by Video_Game_King (27545 posts) -

I would like to see the XD emoticon.

I've seen it used all kinds of ways, but most of the time I see it used in embarassing situations. Example: I wouldn't think RE5 sucks so bad if I could actually not suck at aiming. XD

Name: Embarassing
Digits: :embarassing: and/or XD

SavoyPrime

You mean like this one, :lol:, right here?

#41 Posted by lancelot200 (61977 posts) -
I had an XD icon for MSN. No one really knows what it's for because it's also used for higher degree of laughter. I'm a big fan of it though.
#42 Posted by SavoyPrime (40915 posts) -
I like the XD icon, as long as it can be made to look more like the current smileys. msudude211
Yeah, I just had to find the best example I could.
#43 Posted by optiow (28288 posts) -
well I would rather Gamespot fixed the union glitches before focusing on simileys...
#44 Posted by BadassZetta (557 posts) -
well I would rather Gamespot fixed the union glitches before focusing on simileys...optiow
Unrelated. It takes time to fix code, it takes an image and a few characters on a line to make new smileys.
#45 Posted by Caddy (28709 posts) -
well I would rather Gamespot fixed the union glitches before focusing on simileys...optiow
Keep it on topic please.
#46 Posted by Video_Game_King (27545 posts) -

Another one:

Name: Yawn
Description: Well, in case a wall of text is boring somebody, they can post a yawning smiley.
Text: :yawn: should do it.
Animated: I don't have GIMP, so I can't make one similar to the ones we have. However...

http://www.raptorblog.com/forums/$tyle_emoticons/default/smiley-yawn.gif

that's a good example. If anybody can make this look like our smileys, I'd be impressed, kinda.

(And PLEEEEAASSSE fix the cl@ss/$tyle glitch. It gets really annoying when I'm posting a pic or link or something I can't work around.)

#47 Posted by kage_53 (12671 posts) -

Why not just replace the current emoticons with different ones like :) = :) and the rest of the ones that are used lithium boards while at the same time adding new ones like Awesome = :awesome: ?

#49 Posted by Video_Game_King (27545 posts) -

Another one I came up with for absolutely no reason :P.

Name: Cheshire Smiley
Detail: A regular smiley face that soon disappears, except for the grin.
Digits: I guess :disappear: would work.
Animated: We've all seen the movie, I think you'd know what I'm talking about.

And how about some holiday themed ones? You know, a heart smiley, a turkey smiley, an Uncle Sam smiley, a Santa smiley, and, for me, maybe a Satan Claus smiley.

#50 Posted by msudude211 (44516 posts) -

Why not just replace the current emoticons with different ones lik = :) and the rest of the ones that are used lithium boards while at the same time adding new ones like = :awesome: ?

kage_53
Most people like the current smileys though.