This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by DeX2010 (3991 posts) -

I've posted about this before, but occassionally it pops up again, thought I might want to notify the mods of this.

Here is the page it is coming from:http://uk.gamespot.com/forums/topic/29289624/official-wii-u-thread-all-your-wii-u-info-in-the-op?page=0

(The first page only)

#2 Posted by The-Apostle (12193 posts) -
Most likely a user is using a sig/avy that is being hosted on a site that's infected. It would be easier if you could pinpoint who it is and tell us which browser you're using. I'm on Firefox, and when I clicked the link I didn't get the message. In fact, I had forgotten all about it until I saw this topic.
#3 Posted by DeX2010 (3991 posts) -

Most likely a user is using a sig/avy that is being hosted on a site that's infected. It would be easier if you could pinpoint who it is and tell us which browser you're using. I'm on Firefox, and when I clicked the link I didn't get the message. In fact, I had forgotten all about it until I saw this topic.The-Apostle

It's a feature in built into Chrome I believe, so you won't get it in other browsers. Its a image which I think is in Charizards' OP.

Here is the source link:

http://cdn0.sbnation.com/entry_photo_images/4269037/project_p-100_large_verge_medium_landscape.jpg

#4 Posted by gmax (6862 posts) -
It's the third image in the second post. The image and its transfer mechanics are technically harmless. The image is simply hotlinked, probably from some other news item somewhere. The Google Safe Browsing diagnostic page for cdn0.sbnation.com is clean. At best, this is a false positive. If this was a genuine Google Safe Browsing alert, it is in error, and should be ignored. Generally, I don't think much more time should be wasted on these alerts, and it may just about be time to write them off as unreliable. If the alert persists, affected users may wish to consider disabling these alerts altogether. In my view, no action should be taken against the image or the poster. There's nothing wrong with it. The problem is with Google, Chrome, and their Safe Browsing mechanism. As an aside, stuff like this is part of the reason why it would be nice if there was an image hosting option here on GS that was simple and reliable enough to mandate its use.

#5 Posted by DeX2010 (3991 posts) -
[QUOTE="gmax"]It's the third image in the second post. The image and its transfer mechanics are technically harmless. The image is simply hotlinked, probably from some other news item somewhere. The Google Safe Browsing diagnostic page for cdn0.sbnation.com is clean. At best, this is a false positive. If this was a genuine Google Safe Browsing alert, it is in error, and should be ignored. Generally, I don't think much more time should be wasted on these alerts, and it may just about be time to write them off as unreliable. If the alert persists, affected users may wish to consider disabling these alerts altogether. In my view, no action should be taken against the image or the poster. There's nothing wrong with it. The problem is with Google, Chrome, and their Safe Browsing mechanism. As an aside, stuff like this is part of the reason why it would be nice if there was an image hosting option here on GS that was simple and reliable enough to mandate its use.

Yeah, it turns out that sbnation is website linked to The Verge, who yesterday was put on Googles Malware accidentally so you are right in the fact that this is a false-positive.