Gamespot Loot Drop winner... or just spam email?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

starcrafthenry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#1 starcrafthenry
Member since 2008 • 94 Posts

First of all, I tried finding a "Contact Us" area so I could take care of this issue privately, but couldn't, so here I am.

I got an email titled Please Respond: GameSpot Loot Drop Winner!

It reads like this,

Hello!

We are pleased to inform you that you are a potential winner for the Loot Drop Contest on GameSpot! Please respond with your contact information and that you meet eligibility requirements (see below).

Prize:

Sony Style and Gamemarket Gift Cards

How to Claim Your Prize:

You must respond to this email within 5 days and provide us with the following information:

Name

Delivery Address

Telephone Number (To be used only in connection with the delivery of your prize)

Email Address

Your acceptance of this prize is subject to the rules presented to you when you entered the Loot Drop Contest. Eligibility requirements are listed below.

2. Eligibility: This Sweepstakes is offered and open to persons who are: (a) "Registered Users"; (b) legal residents of one (1) of the fifty (50) United States or District of Columbia; and (c) at least 18 or age of majority (whichever is older in state of residence) or older, at date of entry into a Sweepstakes. For purposes of these Official Rules, Registered User(s) means a person that has successfully completed the registration form and has obtained a user identification ("ID") and associated password ("Password") on the CBSI Service. Employees and directors, and their immediate family members, of the Sweepstakes Entities, and their parents, affiliated and subsidiary companies, advertising and promotion agencies and legal and financial advisors are not eligible to participate in the Sweepstakes. For purpose of the foregoing "immediate family" means parents, spouses, children, siblings or any members of the same households of such employees and directors. The Sweepstakes is void outside of the 50 U.S. and D.C.; including, for the purpose of clarity Puerto Rico, all US Territories and Possessions and where prohibited by law.

You may need to complete and sign an affidavit, acknowledging your acceptance of the prize. That will come after confirmation of your above contact information.

Congratulations!

Tiffany

It seems fishy to me that I would be contacted via email about being a winner, but received no pm here on the website. Is this legit, or am I just being spammed?

The suspicious email address is tiffany.muriel at cbsi dot com

Please let me know if this legit or not.

And if it is, will I actually receive my prize this time? I came in 5th place in the greatest game hero contest, and am still waiting on my free one year subscription to gamefly. :p

Thanks for your quick and helpful response.

-Henry

dab198

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#2 dab198
Member since 2003 • 3934 Posts

That's a completely legitrequest for information that you'vereceived.

The email address you've been told to contact is a CBS Interactive address, they own GameSpot.

digitaldame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#3 digitaldame
Member since 2006 • 5401 Posts

As dab mentioned this is indeed correct (Tiffinay actually works across the way from me) The verbiage in the email is because often users do not update (or even provide) the contact information needed to send a prize.

Oh and congrats.

starcrafthenry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4 starcrafthenry
Member since 2008 • 94 Posts

Alright, coolio.

Thanks for the quick responses.

I've got an email I need to reply to now. :D