(FIXED) : Profiles are disappearing after changing avatars

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by mystic_knight (13801 posts) -

http://www.gamespot.com/profile/mjc/

My fellow friends profile has completely disappeared. all his posts are now gone as well.

@Mjcowley said:

To confirm, I tried to delete my avatar and profile banner before uploading new ones. Deleting my banner seemed to cause the 500 error on my profile, and deleting the avatar seemed to kill off all my posts/threads.

#2 Posted by super600 (30134 posts) -

I got a weird error like that when I tried to access multiple users profiles earlier today.I hope it's fixed.

#3 Posted by c_rakestraw (14579 posts) -

Edited the title and pinned the thread. Hope you don't mind, Mystic.

#4 Posted by leon2365 (13050 posts) -

so I changed my avatar to what it was before, and I am always logged in to gamespot. I've heard that if I log out, then my profile will be inaccessible. what happens if I get logged out automatically? its happened before. will my profile get messed up?

#5 Posted by super600 (30134 posts) -

@leon2365 said:

so I changed my avatar to what it was before, and I am always logged in to gamespot. I've heard that if I log out, then my profile will be inaccessible. what happens if I get logged out automatically? its happened before. will my profile get messed up?

Logging out does not prevent you from getting hit by this glitch.

#6 Edited by Mjcowley (2 posts) -

http://www.gamespot.com/profile/mjc/

My fellow friends profile has completely disappeared. all his posts are now gone as well.

To confirm, I tried to delete my avatar and profile banner before uploading new ones. Deleting my banner seemed to cause the 500 error on my profile, and deleting the avatar seemed to kill off all my posts/threads.

#7 Edited by mystic_knight (13801 posts) -

@c_rake: Of course not :) Thanks.

#8 Posted by edgework (318 posts) -

Don't worry. No one's account is lost. These accounts are a little damaged. I would recommend not changing any account images until this bug is fixed. The damaged accounts will be fixed but the will likely lose all of their images.

#9 Edited by edgework (318 posts) -

All of the bad accounts are being fixed now. Everything should be ok by 2:00 PST.

If you were affected by this don't worry! All your data is safe but you probably lost one or more images.

Sorry about that.

#10 Edited by lightning_kf (565 posts) -

Slight question. Do you have to get images from Photobucket again if you want to change your avatar?

Everytime I try, it starts to upload and then stops. A little assistance would be nice.

#11 Posted by BluRayHiDef (10837 posts) -

@mystic_knight: Damn. Losing your entire post history has got to blow hard.

#12 Posted by mystic_knight (13801 posts) -

@edgework said:

All of the bad accounts are being fixed now. Everything should be ok by 2:00 PST.

If you were affected by this don't worry! All your data is safe but you probably lost one or more images.

Sorry about that.

Slight question. Do you have to get images from Photobucket again if you want to change your avatar?

Everytime I try, it starts to upload and then stops. A little assistance would be nice.

I uploaded my photo's and they seemed to be fine, have not tried after the bug occurred though.

@mystic_knight: Damn. Losing your entire post history has got to blow hard.

Who lost their post ? It wouldnt make much difference in my life anyway. i live for the future not the past... I lost my UCB but now have compensated via multi PM's :) it works that way

#13 Posted by mjc (12628 posts) -

@edgework said:

Sorry about that.

Thanks for the update and quick turnaround. A couple of images are gone, otherwise everything looks ok :)