F*** Stacks I Want The Old Way Of Sorting Back!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

majadamus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 0

Edited By majadamus
Member since 2003 • 10292 Posts

I just recently finished a game, and when I finish a game I come to this website to look through my list of games to see what games I want to via my personal games collection list. Right now I want to look through the list of 3DS games I have. It's not as easy as it use to be like when I was able to sort my list by platforms. Now I have to browse through hundreds of my games to see which 3DS game I want to play next. The old way was much better. Do you feel me on this my fellow gamespotters?

Perth2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 133

#1 Perth2008
Member since 2008 • 216 Posts

@majadamus: Welcome to the NEW REVAMPED GameSpot!

Yes, many things we took for granted no longer work and the new cosmetic "features" like stacks have generated a lot of noise on the bugs/feedback forums, including polls, from us longer term users ... alas to no avail. The new crew (most likely from from the tablet/social media set) at GameSpot is ignoring all suggestions to dump "stacks" in favour of the simpler and logical tabular database format (without the aesthetic nice box cover pictures) . Stacks do NOT work and have not been "fixed" since introduced ... no amount of cute doggie pictures in response will change that.

Stacks are a flawed concept that is still, like the proverbial, being pushed up hill. What we have is arguably a triumph of aesthetics over functionality ... but irrespective it just does not work as it did and as we would like. So take a ticket ...

digitaldame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#2 digitaldame
Member since 2006 • 5401 Posts

The old way was much better.

Could you please elaborate on the specific features of the "old way" you preferred?

majadamus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By majadamus

@DigitalDame said:

The old way was much better.

Could you please elaborate on the specific features of the "old way" you preferred?

Like I said it was easier to sort through my games. Say if wanted to look at only PS3 games then I could click on PS3, and then the list would sort the games by platforms.

Perth2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 133

#4 Perth2008
Member since 2008 • 216 Posts

@DigitalDame:

Firstly, thank you for responding to our posts on this.

The previous version of the "My Collection" allowed interactive sorting of titles by game name, platform, release date, genre, GameSpot rating/ranking, users owning and users own rating/ranking. Users could additionally add/move games to/from "now playing", collection, watch list, etc. It was a highly intuitive database, something like one might set up on Excel or other spreadsheet style database. Sure it didn't have box art pictures like the "stacks" do but it was functional even with 400+ titles in my collection.

My real issue, and those of many other users, is that stacks did not work on Day 1 and still have major issues and the time and effort of your IT staff presumably is being, in part, being directed at fixing "stacks" whereas one might assume the old system could be re-implemented ... all the data for the "stacks" concept must come from the previous system so it can theoretically be recreated. I am sure some of your team is heavily invested in making the "stacks" work ... but its fairly obvious from forum posts that we don't like the concept and not just because it currently has bugs.

Secondly, many don't like change but it is inevitable. However the upgrade to GameSpot is a window of opportunity to improve the site and if the users/community are important then I for one would like to see some attention payed to your customers concerns and perhaps admitting that on stacks well, ooops, that just doesn't work the users are unhappy but they liked the old system, so let's roll it back. Numerous polls have suggested this but obviously the owner of the concept does not want to let go ... sometimes it's better to let go.

digitaldame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By digitaldame
Member since 2006 • 5401 Posts

So let's roll it back.

Unfortunately, code doesn't always work like that. So instead of moving back, we should move forward.

After I got home from work last night I started tinkering around with stacks a bit this morning to try and get a better understanding of things that are, well lacking. I grabbed a few volunteers (mainly moderators and a few awesome MTG nerds who love to pick appart a product for the littlest thing - they're great at that) to take a birds-eye view of this feature and here are a few things that we noticed:

• The "search" function for a game can sometimes be... well stupid. By that of course I mean that it doesn't recognize any type of slag for a game title (Examples: MGSV, GTAIV, etc.)
  • You can't add a game to a custom created stack from the game page. What I mean by that is if you say, went to the Kingdom Hearts HD 2.5 page, you can select to follow a game and add it to one of 3 stacks. (I want to play this, I'm playing this, and I've finished this).
  • When clicking "Rate" for the game, it opens a new window for the game in question where you can "rate" the title or "review" it. I will admit that I feel that this can sort of feel like a bit of a emersion shock (say, if you wanted to just quickly rate several games in a row, but not give them a proper review). But this might be in place to prevent flooding. I'll check on that.
  • Attempting to edit a stack takes a very long time to load (even with a stack as small as 50 games).
  • None of the edit features work.... Oops. At the top of stacks there are options to move, copy, remove, etc, yet you're unable to click on any of these. In fact, all you can currently do is exit editing. Some games are also missing the ability to rate within the stack, which is just weird.
  • No way to sort your list.

Also, it's important to note that currently there's not a huge amount of resources available to tackle this issue right at this very second (you can thank E3 for that). I know that change is hard, and awkward, and it can be very easy to remember how great things were (even if they weren't really).

I appreciate everyone who has taken the time to calmly and rationally talk about improvements to this feature. Your voice is important and I will do what I can to help get it heard by the right people. In the meantime, I'm going to create a sticky thread at the top of this forum for people to add requests / bug alerts SPECIFICALLY for stacks.

If there's anything else you'd like to see added to this list, or a bug that you've noticed feel free to add it in the sticky thread. In the mean time, I'm off to go file a report.

majadamus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 majadamus

@DigitalDame: Okay, thank you.

Kuromino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -2

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By Kuromino  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 1602 Posts
@DigitalDame said:
None of the edit features work.... Oops. At the top of stacks there are options to move, copy, remove, etc, yet you're unable to click on any of these. In fact, all you can currently do is exit editing. Some games are also missing the ability to rate within the stack, which is just weird.

You can edit stacks. You have to tick the box beside a game that you want to remove, move or copy before those options become available. I should point out that when you do select move or copy, you get a very hard to see list of your other stacks.

Edit: Looking at a few other posts here, looks like some people are unable to tick the box beside each game. Maybe the issue only occurs in certain browsers then? I'm using Firefox and don't seem to be having these issues.

Avatar image for WolfgarTheQuiet
WolfgarTheQuiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

User Lists: 6

#8 WolfgarTheQuiet
Member since 2010 • 483 Posts

I like the way stacks look with Box Art and small description. But they just need to fix it and crop the Box Art properly or let users submit box art. ATM cant even edit your stack or sometime cant even load the stacks page. Cant they use code from GiantBomb, seems two websites look the same in most cases and work together. Giant Bomb one works fast and no issues.

Also Box Art on the viewing page should a bit bigger otherwise whats the point. Box sizes image for few systems.

t

Ninja Gaiden II