Don't know what the number in the top right hand corner?

#1 Posted by _BlueDuck_ (11985 posts) -

Current problem is that there's a number next to my avatar on the top right hand corner. I click on it and it brings me to my profile. No where in my profile does it make it clear what that number means. I assume a number of new somethings. Not sure what. Today I logged in and saw that the number changed from 1 to 2 over night. Again I tried to click on it in hopes of seeing what the change in number signifies. No difference in profile page. But clearly, since the number changed, something has changed. I need to know what or my OCD might drive me bonkers. Also perhaps other people find that equally as frustrating and should be made more obvious.

Thank you.

#2 Edited by zyxe (4652 posts) -

Hi! Sorry for the confusion, it took me a while to get accustomed to the minuscule numbers as well. They are numbers indicating the number of (left number) unread PMs you have and (right number) the number of notifications which include stuff like people mentioning you in a comment by using the "@" feature. I think updates on the items you follow count within these notifications as well.

To get the info, you actually have to mouse over the icons and a drop-down menu will appear. If you're over the left number, a menu with your messages will appear; click "messages" to display a brief, truncated subject of the top few unread PMs; if you're over the right number, it will show you which notifications are new.

Hope this helps, ask again if it doesn't :)

#3 Edited by _BlueDuck_ (11985 posts) -

@zyxe:

Hi,

Thank you for your swift and thorough response. The problem was that the drop down menu didn't appear whilst scrolling over with the mouse. I tried switching to Internet Explorer (was using Mozilla) and it works using that. So mystery solved! Though then again I don't suppose I need to explain to you how one would feel about having to use Internet Explorer...

Thanks again, much appreciated.

#4 Posted by RobotOpBuddy (64996 posts) -

@zyxe:

Hi,

Thank you for your swift and thorough response. The problem was that the drop down menu didn't appear whilst scrolling over with the mouse. I tried switching to Internet Explorer (was using Mozilla) and it works using that. So mystery solved! Though then again I don't suppose I need to explain to you how one would feel about having to use Internet Explorer...

Thanks again, much appreciated.

If you're running a script blocker of any form with Mozilla (some antiviruses auto-install add-ons that do this as well - check the add-on list) then make sure that gamespot.com and ajax.googleapis.com are able to run scripts - many things on the site need them, including pretty much all the drop-down nav menus. If you have javascript disabled that'd also be an issue, but that'd break a lot more than just GS.