Does anyone think the Gamespot layoffs have affected the quality of the site's content (Poll).

This topic is locked from further discussion.

donmuath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 0

Poll Does anyone think the Gamespot layoffs have affected the quality of the site's content (Poll). (25 votes)

Yes. 52%
No. 20%
It's too early to tell. 28%

Like the title says, have you noticed a dip in the quality (or quantity) of the content in Gamespot; please post details.

• 
Kenocratic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2 Kenocratic
Member since 2013 • 124 Posts

I think a lot of forum members googled Gamespot layoffs after hearing about it for the first time in the thread title. Too bad about layoffs. I guess I don't see much difference on the site.

donmuath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 donmuath
Member since 2008 • 64 Posts

@kenocratic: Hahaha, yeah i'm surprised about how close-mouthed GS has been about this, I don't see much difference yet and i hope I it stays that way.

sibu_xgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 sibu_xgamer
Member since 2014 • 340 Posts

No, it's actually better without those people.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#5 deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts

I wouldn't know...it's been months since I've checked the website proper...I only check the forums and game release dates now.

Avatar image for harry_james_pot
harry_james_pot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6 harry_james_pot  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 11414 Posts

Certainly. First of all, there's only Kevin and Shaun in the editorial staff now. A big part of reviews is knowing what that person writing it likes in games, and with Tom, Carolyn, and Maxwell gone, most of the reviews are now left to random freelancers that we don't know, thus rendering them kinda useless. And second, all the live streams are canceled except for The Lobby. GS used to have a fantastic schedule of live shows, and now it's mostly gone.
And add to that the fact that the layoffs also included Justin Calvert (Editor in Chief). Wernher and Benito (video team). And Ryan Mac!! I'm sure that affected far bigger things behind the scenes.

bforrester420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 bforrester420
Member since 2014 • 3480 Posts

The site's content is already shit. Were it not for the forums, I wouldn't come to Gamespot at all. The only direction it can go is up, as far as I'm concerned, not that I'll notice anyway.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#8 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

Wouldn't know, I don't go to that part of the site.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#9 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

Moved to Bug Reporting & Feedback

donmuath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 donmuath
Member since 2008 • 64 Posts

@harry_james_pot said:

Certainly. First of all, there's only Kevin and Shaun in the editorial staff now. A big part of reviews is knowing what that person writing it likes in games, and with Tom, Carolyn, and Maxwell gone, most of the reviews are now left to random freelancers that we don't know, thus rendering them kinda useless. And second, all the live streams are canceled except for The Lobby. GS used to have a fantastic schedule of live shows, and now it's mostly gone.

And add to that the fact that the layoffs also included Justin Calvert (Editor in Chief). Wernher and Benito (video team). And Ryan Mac!! I'm sure that affected far bigger things behind the scenes.

Hmm, I did notice most of the reviews nowadays are written by Kevin.

dab198

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#11 dab198
Member since 2003 • 3934 Posts

I think it'll be very noticable in the next few months when release season is upon us. Unless CBSi is bringing in more freelancers to cover everything, what remains of the editorial team is going to be stretched very thin.

gearratio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 gearratio
Member since 2006 • 26 Posts

I absolutely think so.

s_h_a_d_o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#13 s_h_a_d_o
Member since 2004 • 1317 Posts

If you refer to the most recent layoffs, then... No.

The deterioration in quality of content dates back to the the departure of Ricardo, et al.

BravoOneActual

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By BravoOneActual
Member since 2010 • 799 Posts

I think there has been a noticeable decline in quality that coincides with the recent departure of some staffers, but I wouldn't attribute it directly to them leaving.

Maybe the clear downward spiral speaks to money not being spent where it once was in many facets of the operation. I also don't see how putting more of the load on Watters and KVO could avoid affecting the quality of their work in the long run.

Unfortunately, this place has devolved into System Wars: The Website and an industry tabloid news outlet ever since "The Change". Most substantive content is slowly going to the video side and of the shows featured, The Point and Reality Check are the only ones I might see regularly.