Do you prefer the New Stacks or the old Library System

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for MajinVegetaGT87
MajinVegetaGT87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

Edited By MajinVegetaGT87

Poll Do you prefer the New Stacks or the old Library System (54 votes)

Stacks 7%
Previous Library System 93%

Stacks SUCK and it's high time Gamespot got their hands about it.

• 
Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#1 Randolph
Member since 2002 • 10542 Posts

Stacks are easily the single worst thing about the new forums. Everything else has been improved five fold since late last year. Stacks are still terrible.

Kevlar101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#2  Edited By Kevlar101
Member since 2011 • 6316 Posts

I don't understand what's so bad about the new format tbh.

It's not as hard to navigate as people seem to say it is.

I like it. I especially like that commenting is easier and all the little extra gadgets are easier to use, plus the easier pic and video posting, and link making.

Avatar image for harry_james_pot
harry_james_pot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3 harry_james_pot  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 11414 Posts

The only thing I don't like about the new site is the stacks. The old system was way better.

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Randolph
Member since 2002 • 10542 Posts

@Kevlar101 said:

I like it. I especially like that commenting is easier and all the little extra gadgets are easier to use, plus the easier pic and video posting, and link making.

He was talking specifically about the stacks feature that replaced our gaming collection pages.

x-2tha-z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#5  Edited By x-2tha-z
Member since 2003 • 8994 Posts

I used to add every game I bought to my library on GS. I have got quite a large collection so this feature was great for me to keep track on what I've bought and what I still need to buy. It was also useful for easily finding information on the site about the games I've got.

Since the stacks were introduced, I've pretty much stopped keeping record of the games I've bought. I've tried to use the stacks but it's just beyond horrible.

They should definitely change it back. The old system was perfect. I've got no idea why they tried to fix something that wasn't broken. Microsoft have done the same thing with Xbox One Party Chat. They've messed around with something that was important to their users, in an attempt to "improve" it, but they've just completely wrecked that feature and it sours the experience of the whole service.

Kevlar101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#7 Kevlar101
Member since 2011 • 6316 Posts

@Randolph said:

@Kevlar101 said:

He was talking specifically about the stacks feature that replaced our gaming collection pages.

I know.

And I was speaking generally.

s_h_a_d_o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By s_h_a_d_o
Member since 2004 • 1317 Posts

@Randolph said:

Everything else has been improved five fold since late last year.

Ha.

dacopper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#9 dacopper
Member since 2006 • 29 Posts

Stacks are unintuitive and not user friendly. It took me a while to figure out what's what and I work in IT. The old library was although visually over-simplistic, but easy to maintain. Why fix what's not broken? A simple touchup on visuals would do just fine.

I've cut down on Gamespot usage in general since it's been overhauled. The new site is superslow due to tons of graphics and videos that all try to load at the same time. It became almost impossible to use the site on a computer without a dedicated video card. My 2-year-old work laptop running Ubuntu slows to a crawl when visiting Gamespot -- not a good sign. I don't get this bad of a slowdown on any other site I visit.

leon2365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 leon2365
Member since 2006 • 13096 Posts

I like them. very good idea. all they need to do now is to refine them.

anarayan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -12

User Lists: 8

#11 anarayan
Member since 2004 • 351 Posts

Thankfully, our GS staff Lark Anderson has said that there are fixes and upgrades to Stacks and Game notifications coming tomorrow!!!

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#12  Edited By LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

@x-2tha-z said:

I used to add every game I bought to my library on GS. I have got quite a large collection so this feature was great for me to keep track on what I've bought and what I still need to buy. It was also useful for easily finding information on the site about the games I've got.

Since the stacks were introduced, I've pretty much stopped keeping record of the games I've bought. I've tried to use the stacks but it's just beyond horrible.

They should definitely change it back. The old system was perfect. I've got no idea why they tried to fix something that wasn't broken. Microsoft have done the same thing with Xbox One Party Chat. They've messed around with something that was important to their users, in an attempt to "improve" it, but they've just completely wrecked that feature and it sours the experience of the whole service.

This exactly.

93BlackHawk93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#13 93BlackHawk93
Member since 2010 • 8611 Posts

@Randolph said:

Stacks are easily the single worst thing about the new forums. Everything else has been improved five fold since late last year. Stacks are still terrible.

The following system also blows.

stylyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 5

#14 stylyy
Member since 2013 • 143 Posts

Let's just say I witnessed the last handful of tickets being knocked out today. It's looking mighty fine and nostalgic if you ask me. Expect an update in the very near feature.

ClaudeLv250

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#15  Edited By ClaudeLv250
Member since 2004 • 863 Posts

Will this update make stacks actually work now?

leon2365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 leon2365

so they say.

lensflare15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 lensflare15
Member since 2010 • 6652 Posts

I don't have much of an opinion on Stacks other than lack of interest, since I haven't even looked at it since the forum first updated. The old games list system was certainly more interesting to use as I added games to my wish list/collection quite often, but whatever.

Perth2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 133

#18 Perth2008
Member since 2008 • 216 Posts

@x-2tha-z said:

Ditto ... awaiting hinted at improvement indicated by stylly (in post #14) ... hopefully "nostalgic" means something like a reversion to the layout and capability of the old library system, including games sorted by platform.

Jesse363

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 220

#19 Jesse363
Member since 2003 • 120 Posts

@dacopper said:

Stacks are unintuitive and not user friendly. It took me a while to figure out what's what and I work in IT. The old library was although visually over-simplistic, but easy to maintain. Why fix what's not broken? A simple touchup on visuals would do just fine.

I've cut down on Gamespot usage in general since it's been overhauled. The new site is superslow due to tons of graphics and videos that all try to load at the same time. It became almost impossible to use the site on a computer without a dedicated video card. My 2-year-old work laptop running Ubuntu slows to a crawl when visiting Gamespot -- not a good sign. I don't get this bad of a slowdown on any other site I visit.

@x-2tha-z said:

Completely agree.

Avatar image for deactivated-57e8fedaf0b9d
deactivated-57e8fedaf0b9d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By deactivated-57e8fedaf0b9d
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts

@GeminiEntity said:

@Randolph said:

While I agree Stacks are terrible, that spot is saved for Game Notifications. There are many sites to keep track of your game collection, there is no other site besides IGN at this moment where you can get a list of news only for games you want.

Oh, where else can I keep track of my game collection for free? That was the main reason I used gamespot (as well as reading reviews) and I find the stack system appalling in its lack of flexibility, so despite being on Gamespot for many many years It no longer does well what I need it to do, so please share where else we can track games collections.

I saw the hint at improvement on post14, but that was 6 days ago and nothing since, although I guess my definition of "very near future" and theirs may differ. c'mon gamespot give us an idea when this will be changed as I am actively seeking alternatives to add my game collection to.

s_h_a_d_o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#21 s_h_a_d_o
Member since 2004 • 1317 Posts

@sp1966 said:

Oh, where else can I keep track of my game collection for free? That was the main reason I used gamespot (as well as reading reviews) and I find the stack system appalling in its lack of flexibility, so despite being on Gamespot for many many years It no longer does well what I need it to do, so please share where else we can track games collections.

Agreed - the single, most useful feature of this site, and it's differentiating advantage over others.

Whoever is in charge appears to be as out-of-touch with the gaming community as the majority of triple-A publishers.

:|

leon2365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 leon2365

supposedly stacks should be working now. along with game updates.

jimrhurst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#24  Edited By jimrhurst
Member since 2004 • 96 Posts

I really despise stacks and following now, and those used to be tools I really liked on the site. The features and editorials on the site keep getting better, IMO, but this basic functionality now seems to have been discarded. Go look at Ravelry for a proper hobby site. Tons of forums and information along with a really robust system for tracking projects and stuff. (My wife is huge on the site, and while I don't knit personally, I must admit the site's got usability in spades.)

There used to be a page I could get to with 1-2 clicks that would show me all the games I'm following along with some basic info, including RELEASE DATE. I came to this site all the time to check out games. I'd follow ones that looked interesting. Then when I was getting bored with my current game I'd load up the list and see what was out or coming soon. I can't find any way to get this same information now, and that was easily the number 1 or 2 page I hit on here. Sooooo frustrating!

Bumblebee1138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 3

#25 Bumblebee1138
Member since 2010 • 295 Posts

Stacks have a good potential of being better than the old libraries if it wasn't for the bugs and horrible options

leon2365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 leon2365

hopefully stacks will improve at a more rapid pace.

Perth2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 133

#27 Perth2008
Member since 2008 • 216 Posts

@stylyy said:

Let's just say I witnessed the last handful of tickets being knocked out today. It's looking mighty fine and nostalgic if you ask me. Expect an update in the very near feature.

Any update on the "fixed" version of the game library system?

Stacks are just not addressing the needs of the users. Most of us are not asking for something extra, just a reversion of the old system would make many "older users" very happy. Sure you can always tweak the old library system ... rather than just discard it because it may not look "jazzy" enough on a tablet, or whatever the motivation in adopting stacks was.

Gammit10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 119

User Lists: 2

#28 Gammit10
Member since 2004 • 2397 Posts

@Perth2008 said:

@stylyy said:

Any update on the "fixed" version of the game library system?

Stacks are just not addressing the needs of the users. Most of us are not asking for something extra, just a reversion of the old system would make many "older users" very happy. Sure you can always tweak the old library system ... rather than just discard it because it may not look "jazzy" enough on a tablet, or whatever the motivation in adopting stacks was.

Mine is still as broken as ever.

Avatar image for deactivated-57e8fedaf0b9d
deactivated-57e8fedaf0b9d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By deactivated-57e8fedaf0b9d
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts

I guess this was forgotten about, the speculation above was that it maybe back to the old library system, I looked at my "stacks" and see they are just as rubbish as ever, is this features going to be changed or is it going to languish as is, to rot and die as a "feature"

EDIT

Actually you know, I cannot actually be bothered anymore, a botched feature and a hollow promise to fix it, instead can someone let me know how I can delete my gamespot account please.

digitaldame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#30  Edited By digitaldame
Member since 2006 • 5401 Posts

@sp1966: PM Me.