Do you prefer the New Stacks or the old Library System

Edited 6 months, 27 days ago

Poll: Do you prefer the New Stacks or the old Library System (54 votes)

Stacks 7%
Previous Library System 93%

Stacks SUCK and it's high time Gamespot got their hands about it.

#1 Posted by Randolph (10471 posts) -

Stacks are easily the single worst thing about the new forums. Everything else has been improved five fold since late last year. Stacks are still terrible.

#2 Edited by Kevlar101 (6075 posts) -

I don't understand what's so bad about the new format tbh.

It's not as hard to navigate as people seem to say it is.

I like it. I especially like that commenting is easier and all the little extra gadgets are easier to use, plus the easier pic and video posting, and link making.

#3 Posted by harry_james_pot (10596 posts) -

The only thing I don't like about the new site is the stacks. The old system was way better.

#4 Edited by Randolph (10471 posts) -

I don't understand what's so bad about the new format tbh.

It's not as hard to navigate as people seem to say it is.

I like it. I especially like that commenting is easier and all the little extra gadgets are easier to use, plus the easier pic and video posting, and link making.

He was talking specifically about the stacks feature that replaced our gaming collection pages.

#5 Edited by x-2tha-z (8896 posts) -

I used to add every game I bought to my library on GS. I have got quite a large collection so this feature was great for me to keep track on what I've bought and what I still need to buy. It was also useful for easily finding information on the site about the games I've got.

Since the stacks were introduced, I've pretty much stopped keeping record of the games I've bought. I've tried to use the stacks but it's just beyond horrible.

They should definitely change it back. The old system was perfect. I've got no idea why they tried to fix something that wasn't broken. Microsoft have done the same thing with Xbox One Party Chat. They've messed around with something that was important to their users, in an attempt to "improve" it, but they've just completely wrecked that feature and it sours the experience of the whole service.

#6 Posted by GeminiEntity (1175 posts) -

@Randolph said:

Stacks are easily the single worst thing about the new forums. Everything else has been improved five fold since late last year. Stacks are still terrible.

While I agree Stacks are terrible, that spot is saved for Game Notifications. There are many sites to keep track of your game collection, there is no other site besides IGN at this moment where you can get a list of news only for games you want.

#7 Posted by Kevlar101 (6075 posts) -

@Randolph said:

@Kevlar101 said:

I don't understand what's so bad about the new format tbh.

It's not as hard to navigate as people seem to say it is.

I like it. I especially like that commenting is easier and all the little extra gadgets are easier to use, plus the easier pic and video posting, and link making.

He was talking specifically about the stacks feature that replaced our gaming collection pages.

I know.

And I was speaking generally.

#8 Edited by s_h_a_d_o (1291 posts) -

@Randolph said:

Everything else has been improved five fold since late last year.

Ha.

#9 Posted by dacopper (18 posts) -

Stacks are unintuitive and not user friendly. It took me a while to figure out what's what and I work in IT. The old library was although visually over-simplistic, but easy to maintain. Why fix what's not broken? A simple touchup on visuals would do just fine.

I've cut down on Gamespot usage in general since it's been overhauled. The new site is superslow due to tons of graphics and videos that all try to load at the same time. It became almost impossible to use the site on a computer without a dedicated video card. My 2-year-old work laptop running Ubuntu slows to a crawl when visiting Gamespot -- not a good sign. I don't get this bad of a slowdown on any other site I visit.

#10 Posted by leon2365 (13050 posts) -

I like them. very good idea. all they need to do now is to refine them.

#11 Posted by anarayan (322 posts) -

Thankfully, our GS staff Lark Anderson has said that there are fixes and upgrades to Stacks and Game notifications coming tomorrow!!!

#12 Edited by LJS9502_basic (150374 posts) -

@x-2tha-z said:

I used to add every game I bought to my library on GS. I have got quite a large collection so this feature was great for me to keep track on what I've bought and what I still need to buy. It was also useful for easily finding information on the site about the games I've got.

Since the stacks were introduced, I've pretty much stopped keeping record of the games I've bought. I've tried to use the stacks but it's just beyond horrible.

They should definitely change it back. The old system was perfect. I've got no idea why they tried to fix something that wasn't broken. Microsoft have done the same thing with Xbox One Party Chat. They've messed around with something that was important to their users, in an attempt to "improve" it, but they've just completely wrecked that feature and it sours the experience of the whole service.

This exactly.

#13 Posted by 93BlackHawk93 (5326 posts) -

@Randolph said:

Stacks are easily the single worst thing about the new forums. Everything else has been improved five fold since late last year. Stacks are still terrible.

The following system also blows.

#14 Posted by stylyy (143 posts) -

Let's just say I witnessed the last handful of tickets being knocked out today. It's looking mighty fine and nostalgic if you ask me. Expect an update in the very near feature.

#15 Edited by ClaudeLv250 (854 posts) -

Will this update make stacks actually work now?

#16 Posted by leon2365 (13050 posts) -

so they say.

#17 Posted by lensflare15 (6174 posts) -

I don't have much of an opinion on Stacks other than lack of interest, since I haven't even looked at it since the forum first updated. The old games list system was certainly more interesting to use as I added games to my wish list/collection quite often, but whatever.

#18 Posted by Perth2008 (196 posts) -

@x-2tha-z said:

I used to add every game I bought to my library on GS. I have got quite a large collection so this feature was great for me to keep track on what I've bought and what I still need to buy. It was also useful for easily finding information on the site about the games I've got.

Since the stacks were introduced, I've pretty much stopped keeping record of the games I've bought. I've tried to use the stacks but it's just beyond horrible.

Ditto ... awaiting hinted at improvement indicated by stylly (in post #14) ... hopefully "nostalgic" means something like a reversion to the layout and capability of the old library system, including games sorted by platform.

#19 Posted by Jesse363 (38 posts) -

@dacopper said:

Stacks are unintuitive and not user friendly. It took me a while to figure out what's what and I work in IT. The old library was although visually over-simplistic, but easy to maintain. Why fix what's not broken? A simple touchup on visuals would do just fine.

I've cut down on Gamespot usage in general since it's been overhauled. The new site is superslow due to tons of graphics and videos that all try to load at the same time. It became almost impossible to use the site on a computer without a dedicated video card. My 2-year-old work laptop running Ubuntu slows to a crawl when visiting Gamespot -- not a good sign. I don't get this bad of a slowdown on any other site I visit.

@x-2tha-z said:

I used to add every game I bought to my library on GS. I have got quite a large collection so this feature was great for me to keep track on what I've bought and what I still need to buy. It was also useful for easily finding information on the site about the games I've got.

Since the stacks were introduced, I've pretty much stopped keeping record of the games I've bought. I've tried to use the stacks but it's just beyond horrible.

They should definitely change it back. The old system was perfect. I've got no idea why they tried to fix something that wasn't broken. Microsoft have done the same thing with Xbox One Party Chat. They've messed around with something that was important to their users, in an attempt to "improve" it, but they've just completely wrecked that feature and it sours the experience of the whole service.

Completely agree.

#20 Edited by sp1966 (23 posts) -

@GeminiEntity said:

@Randolph said:

Stacks are easily the single worst thing about the new forums. Everything else has been improved five fold since late last year. Stacks are still terrible.

While I agree Stacks are terrible, that spot is saved for Game Notifications. There are many sites to keep track of your game collection, there is no other site besides IGN at this moment where you can get a list of news only for games you want.

Oh, where else can I keep track of my game collection for free? That was the main reason I used gamespot (as well as reading reviews) and I find the stack system appalling in its lack of flexibility, so despite being on Gamespot for many many years It no longer does well what I need it to do, so please share where else we can track games collections.

I saw the hint at improvement on post14, but that was 6 days ago and nothing since, although I guess my definition of "very near future" and theirs may differ. c'mon gamespot give us an idea when this will be changed as I am actively seeking alternatives to add my game collection to.

#21 Posted by s_h_a_d_o (1291 posts) -

@sp1966 said:

Oh, where else can I keep track of my game collection for free? That was the main reason I used gamespot (as well as reading reviews) and I find the stack system appalling in its lack of flexibility, so despite being on Gamespot for many many years It no longer does well what I need it to do, so please share where else we can track games collections.

Agreed - the single, most useful feature of this site, and it's differentiating advantage over others.

Whoever is in charge appears to be as out-of-touch with the gaming community as the majority of triple-A publishers.

:|

#22 Posted by GeminiEntity (1175 posts) -

@sp1966 said:

@GeminiEntity said:

@Randolph said:

Stacks are easily the single worst thing about the new forums. Everything else has been improved five fold since late last year. Stacks are still terrible.

While I agree Stacks are terrible, that spot is saved for Game Notifications. There are many sites to keep track of your game collection, there is no other site besides IGN at this moment where you can get a list of news only for games you want.

Oh, where else can I keep track of my game collection for free? That was the main reason I used gamespot (as well as reading reviews) and I find the stack system appalling in its lack of flexibility, so despite being on Gamespot for many many years It no longer does well what I need it to do, so please share where else we can track games collections.

I saw the hint at improvement on post14, but that was 6 days ago and nothing since, although I guess my definition of "very near future" and theirs may differ. c'mon gamespot give us an idea when this will be changed as I am actively seeking alternatives to add my game collection to.

IGN, Backloggery, and Gamefaqs all have some sort of feature for keeping a collection of your games. Though only IGN will give you updates for the games if you were wondering about that.

#23 Posted by leon2365 (13050 posts) -

supposedly stacks should be working now. along with game updates.

#24 Edited by jimrhurst (78 posts) -

I really despise stacks and following now, and those used to be tools I really liked on the site. The features and editorials on the site keep getting better, IMO, but this basic functionality now seems to have been discarded. Go look at Ravelry for a proper hobby site. Tons of forums and information along with a really robust system for tracking projects and stuff. (My wife is huge on the site, and while I don't knit personally, I must admit the site's got usability in spades.)

There used to be a page I could get to with 1-2 clicks that would show me all the games I'm following along with some basic info, including RELEASE DATE. I came to this site all the time to check out games. I'd follow ones that looked interesting. Then when I was getting bored with my current game I'd load up the list and see what was out or coming soon. I can't find any way to get this same information now, and that was easily the number 1 or 2 page I hit on here. Sooooo frustrating!

#25 Posted by Bumblebee1138 (52 posts) -

Stacks have a good potential of being better than the old libraries if it wasn't for the bugs and horrible options

#26 Posted by leon2365 (13050 posts) -

hopefully stacks will improve at a more rapid pace.

#27 Posted by Perth2008 (196 posts) -

@stylyy said:

Let's just say I witnessed the last handful of tickets being knocked out today. It's looking mighty fine and nostalgic if you ask me. Expect an update in the very near feature.

Any update on the "fixed" version of the game library system?

Stacks are just not addressing the needs of the users. Most of us are not asking for something extra, just a reversion of the old system would make many "older users" very happy. Sure you can always tweak the old library system ... rather than just discard it because it may not look "jazzy" enough on a tablet, or whatever the motivation in adopting stacks was.

#28 Posted by Gammit10 (2254 posts) -

@stylyy said:

Let's just say I witnessed the last handful of tickets being knocked out today. It's looking mighty fine and nostalgic if you ask me. Expect an update in the very near feature.

Any update on the "fixed" version of the game library system?

Stacks are just not addressing the needs of the users. Most of us are not asking for something extra, just a reversion of the old system would make many "older users" very happy. Sure you can always tweak the old library system ... rather than just discard it because it may not look "jazzy" enough on a tablet, or whatever the motivation in adopting stacks was.

Mine is still as broken as ever.

#29 Edited by sp1966 (23 posts) -

I guess this was forgotten about, the speculation above was that it maybe back to the old library system, I looked at my "stacks" and see they are just as rubbish as ever, is this features going to be changed or is it going to languish as is, to rot and die as a "feature"

EDIT

Actually you know, I cannot actually be bothered anymore, a botched feature and a hollow promise to fix it, instead can someone let me know how I can delete my gamespot account please.

#30 Edited by DigitalDame (3888 posts) -