Do NOT Like Generalized Discussion Forums

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Raeldor (770 posts) -
Please re-instate separate discussion forums for each game. This was a BAD decision. When I go into forums, I got in to discuss the SPECIFIC game, I don't expect to have to weed through generalized discussion forums topics to find those related to the game I'm interested in. What was the thinking behind this? Thanks Rael
#2 Posted by King_of_Cats (51 posts) -
The thinking behind it was "no one liked the merger between the GameFAQs forums and GameSpot's, lets cut that **** out". You can still access them from GameSpot, but I'm not sure if that'll get cut later or not. oldForums.png That'll take you to the GameFAQs boards.
#3 Posted by Vari3ty (11111 posts) -

Agree with this completely. I had nothing against the Gamespot/Gamefaqs shared boards, it increased traffic and even though some of the "other" community might have been a bit annoying, it was worth having more people to discuss the game with.

#4 Posted by King_of_Cats (51 posts) -
Finally, and this is probably the most important reason to a GameFAQs user, the code between the boards simply doesn't mesh well. We had plans to implement several features in the past and we weren't able to do so because they simply wouldn't work with GameSpot code. After the separation is complete, we'll be able to finally start implementing new features without having to make them work twice. This is nothing but great for both us and for GameSpot when they want to add new features to their new forum.SBAllen
While the userbases for both sites probably don't really mind the shared boards at this point, the decision was apparently made for technical reasons about having to get stuff to work on both boards before it can go live, which means taking forever or even just not happening at all.
#5 Posted by Raeldor (770 posts) -
I don't have a problem splitting from the GameFAQ boards (I didn't even know that was going on, tbh), but is there a reason the Gamespot code can't have individual forums for each game? Having one forum for each genre is horrible.
#6 Posted by topsemag55 (19063 posts) -

I don't have a problem splitting from the GameFAQ boards (I didn't even know that was going on, tbh), but is there a reason the Gamespot code can't have individual forums for each game? Having one forum for each genre is horrible.Raeldor

Server storage allocation has to take into account gamepages too. Imagine how much storage it takes for videos (interviews, reviews, trailers), plus they're allowing space for user reviews as well as screenshots and gameplay videos. You can still create a thread on a game in a genre forum. We have platform forums as well for specific game questions.

#7 Posted by Shadowchronicle (26039 posts) -
[QUOTE="Raeldor"]Please re-instate separate discussion forums for each game. This was a BAD decision. When I go into forums, I got in to discuss the SPECIFIC game, I don't expect to have to weed through generalized discussion forums topics to find those related to the game I'm interested in. What was the thinking behind this? Thanks Rael

Also if you want when you find these forums on their gamepage you can add the boards to your favorites so you don't have to go to the actual gamepage.
#8 Posted by Raeldor (770 posts) -
Come on, seriously, storage is your excuse? Forums are text only, they don't take much space. We're living in a time when you can buy 1TB for less than $100, are you really trying to say storage is the reason for this? As I've said before, when you're looking at a game and you click forums the expectation is to DISCUSS THE GAME, not be placed in a generic genre forum where you have to search for topics for the game you're interested in. If you want genre forums, then place a link to the genre forum at the top of the game forum, but as it stands I consider this to be a serious downgrade, and I'm sure I'm not the only one who is thinking this.
#9 Posted by topsemag55 (19063 posts) -

I consider this to be a serious downgrade.Raeldor

Create a thread on the game within the genre forum. No different than doing that in a platform forum. You get responses, then there is no downgrade.

#10 Posted by Raeldor (770 posts) -

[QUOTE="Raeldor"]I consider this to be a serious downgrade.topsemag55

Create a thread on the game within the genre forum. No different than doing that in a platform forum. You get responses, then there is no downgrade.

How can you say it's the same and keep a straight face? 1. I can't see a list of discussions relevant to my game with 1-click. 2. Discussions for my game could easily to tracked off the front page very quickly with too much traffic. 3. I have to search through multiple pages now for my game discussions ASSUMING someone even gave it a relevant title.
#11 Posted by Dariency (9406 posts) -

You can still view some of the GameFAQ shared boards for some games. Click the arrow next to the forum link and see if any other forums are available. There is also a custom URL you can enter if a link isn't provided.

As always, you can also login to GameFAQs using your Gamespot login and use their forums.

#12 Posted by edsotic (90 posts) -

Please re-instate separate discussion forums for each game. This was a BAD decision. When I go into forums, I got in to discuss the SPECIFIC game, I don't expect to have to weed through generalized discussion forums topics to find those related to the game I'm interested in. What was the thinking behind this? Thanks RaelRaeldor

We have decided to add a GameSpot forum for each game. I don't have timing yet for when this will be done but we agree that the current solution is confusing.

The reason we didn't create a new forum for each game initially was that we were concerned that we would be creating a bunch of forums that would be dead because there wasn't enough interest in discussing the game. The idea was to roll these inactive games into a forum that would have activity, even if it was discussing multiple different games. We now see that the inactive forums are less of a concern than the confusion caused by the genre and franchise forums.

Regards,

Zak

#13 Posted by King_of_Cats (51 posts) -
Ooh, nice.
#14 Posted by Raeldor (770 posts) -

[QUOTE="Raeldor"]Please re-instate separate discussion forums for each game. This was a BAD decision. When I go into forums, I got in to discuss the SPECIFIC game, I don't expect to have to weed through generalized discussion forums topics to find those related to the game I'm interested in. What was the thinking behind this? Thanks Raeledsotic

We have decided to add a GameSpot forum for each game. I don't have timing yet for when this will be done but we agree that the current solution is confusing.

The reason we didn't create a new forum for each game initially was that we were concerned that we would be creating a bunch of forums that would be dead because there wasn't enough interest in discussing the game. The idea was to roll these inactive games into a forum that would have activity, even if it was discussing multiple different games. We now see that the inactive forums are less of a concern than the confusion caused by the genre and franchise forums.

Regards,

Zak

This is great news. Dead forums are a small price to pay for being able to discuss games individually, thank you!
#16 Posted by PetJel (3724 posts) -

^ Good news :)

I've been avoiding the generalized forums like the plague in fear of serious spoilers that people sometimes put in the thread titles.

#17 Posted by Mister_Mackey (384 posts) -

[QUOTE="Raeldor"]Please re-instate separate discussion forums for each game. This was a BAD decision. When I go into forums, I got in to discuss the SPECIFIC game, I don't expect to have to weed through generalized discussion forums topics to find those related to the game I'm interested in. What was the thinking behind this? Thanks Raeledsotic

Regards,

Zak

For each game or for each game series?
#18 Posted by topsemag55 (19063 posts) -

For each game or for each game series?Mister_Mackey

Here you go. Link.

#19 Posted by Mister_Mackey (384 posts) -

I'm confused. The announcement says that all games now have a game board. But when I search for WWE 12, it only shows me the old GameFAQs shared boards.

Edit: Okay, I see a PS3 version board in the results now, but I don't see an Xbox 360 version board.

#20 Posted by topsemag55 (19063 posts) -

I'm confused. The announcement says that all games now have a game board. But when I search for WWE 12, it only shows me the old GameFAQs shared boards.

Edit: Okay, I see a PS3 version board in the results now, but I don't see an Xbox 360 version board.

Mister_Mackey

It will take some time to create all these new boards. In the meantime, the article I linked says you can still log-on to Gamefaqs with your Gamespot log-in info if you have to post in a game-specific forum.

Personally, I would rather make my own WWE 12 thread in the Xbox 360 forum here rather than Gamefaqs if I had a question.:P

#23 Posted by Dracula68 (33109 posts) -
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]andreamonro
Really? Pick a forum I don;t patrol next time :P