Commenting System Issues Reporting Topic

#51 Posted by Gelugon_baat (19367 posts) -

Who will be the GameSpot staffer that keeps this issue in mind after Jody leaves?

#52 Posted by meatz666 (17 posts) -

Thankfully, with the help of Gelugon_baat, we confirmed that nobody can see my Comments, but me.

In the main Control Panel screen, it says, under My Moderation History:

"Hopefully this page is empty! But if you've ever had a community contribution moderated, you'll find the records here."

I clicked, and turns out I do have one entry there:

Moderation Log
Created user report due to Site Admin action taken (suspend) via admin editor on 2013-05-03 12:37:53(gmt)
Moderation Results
Reason: Moderator Discretion comments - personal attack \"Why don\'t you go outside and play hide and go f**k yourself?\" (BTW, this is a famous Monty Python phrase, but OK, I was mean and deserved the suspension. Phrase of dismissal)
Action taken (item) : Nothing
Action taken (user) : Suspend User for 1 days

I didn't get any Message to tell me I was suspended. I can't see my current status anywhere.

But since then, nobody can see my comments. I posted in this "calm" article today:

http://uk.gamespot.com/news/maplestory-red-update-announced-6408618

And, like many other articles, nobody replies.

Could someone please help? 

#54 Posted by meatz666 (17 posts) -

meatz666, I may have helped you check a few things, but please don't be thinking that I am on your side if you are going into a dispute about a moderation.

That said, someone with a moderator badge has not been reminded that flaming is no longer an offense.

Gelugon_baat
I don't mind being suspended, I can dismay someone been less offensive, no problem. I don't want to question that. I just want to know why nobody see my comments weeks after that.
#55 Posted by DarkNeoBahamut (2180 posts) -
I can't post any comments, when I try to do it, a red frame appears with no text in it, it's been two days already.
#57 Posted by uglypinkmoose (1330 posts) -

When I comment on blogs and such my comment often doesn't appear

I'm also not notified of messages I'm tagged in.

I'm using a mac with safari 

#58 Posted by gammerz26 (4 posts) -

"Just Cause Dev: PS4 More Powerful Than Xbox One Right Now" link takes me to home page instead of article (using Firefox, works ok with IE).

Edit: It takes me to url "http://uk.gamespot.com/?"

#59 Posted by DigitalDame (3784 posts) -

uglypinkmoose
I see that your last comment was submitted to Livefyre at 10:50am on the 22nd, are you still having issues? As far as your notifications go haven you updated your settings to reflect your notification needs?
#60 Posted by DigitalDame (3784 posts) -
I can't post any comments, when I try to do it, a red frame appears with no text in it, it's been two days already.DarkNeoBahamut
I see you posting just fine, are you still having this issue?
#61 Posted by buccomatic (1941 posts) -

livefyre keeps popping up and turning itself on and off at random, still, for me (on all CBS websites, not just gamespot). but livefyre works fine on other websites that are not affiliated with CBS.

works once or twice a week then won't work for 3 days straight, then works for 1 hour, then won't work for 1 week, then works for 5 minutes, then won't work, then works two hours later etc...

the comments/feedback section completely disappears and then reappears at random all the time

insanely annoying for like 5 months now.

#62 Posted by uglypinkmoose (1330 posts) -
[QUOTE="uglypinkmoose"]

Synthia
I see that your last comment was submitted to Livefyre at 10:50am on the 22nd, are you still having issues? As far as your notifications go haven you updated your settings to reflect your notification needs?

Yes I have checked my settings several times and everything is in order. I "should" be getting notifications but I don't. Sometimes my comments post and sometimes they don't... I do know however yesterday and today I haven't had the vanishing comment problem... from what I can tell everything has been posting but I can't be to sure.
#63 Posted by MichaeltheCM (22749 posts) -
There's an issue i've been experiencing for the past week or so with Gamespot videos. I use Chrome and have Adblock enabled and it works great by disabling Gamespot's ads without interfering with the function of the site. However, recently videos will not play and I know I am not the only one having this issue. Gamespot somehow interfered with Adblock's functionality and forces the user to pause/disable Adblock to watch a video. Of course when you do that, you get all the agonizing adds too. This is extremely perturbing and I would like to request a solution to this issue. Please. here is an example (see comments for evidence of other complaints): http://www.gamespot.com/grid-2/videos/grid-2-video-review-6408987/
#64 Posted by Gelugon_baat (19367 posts) -

MichaeltheCM, you may have blocked the scripts for the GameSpot Flash player. This can happen if you are subscribing to a harsh filter listing.

As a general rule of thumb, I block the sources of advertisements - not the scripts that call up advertisements.

#65 Posted by diskotheque (34 posts) -

I am running a 2010 iMac with the latest edition of Mountain Lion and I use Safari for my browser.

My avatar that shows up when I post a comment on an article, review, feature, etc. is an avatar that i haven't used for awhile now. It is one of the GameSpot Avatar choices under the 'Half-Life' set. I changed it to a Deus Ex: Human Revolution avatar awhile ago and my avatar updated everywhere except when i post comments... and just now today I updated to a picture of myself and it still shows that old Half-Life one. Why is it updating everywhere except when posting comments?

#66 Posted by MichaeltheCM (22749 posts) -

MichaeltheCM, you may have blocked the scripts for the GameSpot Flash player. This can happen if you are subscribing to a harsh filter listing.

As a general rule of thumb, I block the sources of advertisements - not the scripts that call up advertisements.

Gelugon_baat
oh cool thanks! how do I block the source of the advertisements instead of the scripts?
#67 Posted by Gelugon_baat (19367 posts) -

oh cool thanks! how do I block the source of the advertisements instead of the scripts?MichaeltheCM

You will probably need to look at the source code of ads that appear on-screen and look for their source site - usually this is given by the "src" HTML class.

#68 Posted by FreeRPGer (11 posts) -

I am still using Windows XP because I prefer it, and I use Google Chrome (with Adblock PLus) as my search engine.

When I check my profile, it has my correct avatar (Luca Blight) that I want to use listed under Avatar. But when I post a comment, my old avatar with Yuna from Final Fantasy X is displayed instead of the newer Luca Blight one. So, comments show my old avatar, even though I changed it to the Luca Blight one from Suikoden 2, like a month ago.

#69 Posted by experience_fade (259 posts) -
- Operating system: Windows 8 - Browser: Chrome - Your region: USA - The problem you are encountering? My avatar image won't change, no matter what I do. I'm tired of this bland, generic GameSpot image! I seem to be able to change my user icon, but not my avatar image. It's a sad situation.
#70 Posted by Innos007666 (523 posts) -

Same problem as above:

- Operating system: Windows 7
- Browser: Firefox
- Your region: Europe
- The problem you are encountering:

My avatar image won't change under comment section.

Under profile section is all ok but along comments I'm getting an old avatar.

#71 Posted by PetJel (3722 posts) -

Firefox, Windows 7 Professional Edition, 'Western Europe'.

Comments often do not display at all, and even while logged in it doesn't recognize me as logged in when I do see the comments.

I've had this issue for months and I've pretty much not been on Gamespot for half a year now.

This website is a total wreck with endless problems, it's dreadful.

#72 Posted by Gelugon_baat (19367 posts) -

Comments often do not display at all, and even while logged in it doesn't recognize me as logged in when I do see the comments.

I've had this issue for months and I've pretty much not been on Gamespot for half a year now.

PetJel

Have you tried clearing your cache? It may also be a problem caused by blocking tools.

I have to say that this may seem to work for other people though. This didn't work for the problem on my side, which is different from yours, PetJel.

#73 Posted by Jamoid (8 posts) -

Just a heads up to the users having avatar issues:

I had exactly the same problems (avatar showing everywhere but comments sections) until I actually went into my Fuse settings via the button at the top right of the comment box and clicked "Submit Changes". I may well be stating the obvious, but it wasn't obvious to me (I didn't even know what Fuse was), so hopefully it'll help someone else out.

#74 Posted by Trail_Mix (2021 posts) -

I had exactly the same problems (avatar showing everywhere but comments sections) until I actually went into my Fuse settings via the button at the top right of the comment box and clicked "Submit Changes". I may well be stating the obvious, but it wasn't obvious to me (I didn't even know what Fuse was), so hopefully it'll help someone else out.

Jamoid

Oh wow, it actually worked. And I was even snooping around my Fuse setting a couple of days ago trying to figure this all out. The idea never crossed my mind just to simply press "submit changes." I guess it's because I hadn't really changed anything in the Fuse settings itself, so I didn't see the need to press the button.

So basically you go into your GS settings, upload your avatar in and apply changes, THEN go to Fuse and submit changes there as well. That is, if you want your avatar not just to appear in the forums, but in article comments too.

Thanks for the help!

#75 Posted by Jamoid (8 posts) -

No problem! Glad it helped someone. : )

#76 Posted by khatibi22 (7221 posts) -

Okay, I don't know if I am in the right thread but at least I can finally post something here in GS. My problem is not being able to comment anywhere. My GS page loads with a white background, no picture, a comment box which doesn't work, the pages don't have any layout just lettering. I thought there is something wrong with my Internet connection but then a GS friend of mine suggested this thread so please give tips. I feel like being banned:P

#77 Posted by Jamoid (8 posts) -

I'm no expert by any stretch of the imagination, but the first thing I would try is clearing my cache. Failing that I would try different browsers.

#78 Posted by The_Last_Ride (69603 posts) -
It doesn't work for Chrome here, sometimes they update, sometimes they don't
#79 Posted by PetJel (3722 posts) -

[QUOTE="PetJel"]

Gelugon_baat

Have you tried clearing your cache? It may also be a problem caused by blocking tools.

I have to say that this may seem to work for other people though. This didn't work for the problem on my side, which is different from yours, PetJel.

I clear my cache daily, but thanks for the suggestion. Nearly all my browser plugins are turned off. I've had this problem for months. ;|
#80 Posted by Truth_Hurts_U (9075 posts) -

Fuse is broken for me and so is Livefyre.

Cleared my cache and all that good stuff. Still broken.

Win 7 64 with IE 10 as browser.

#82 Posted by gothemile (3 posts) -

I can't post any gifs or images in the comments section. This sucks because other people are doing it but mine keeps on being called malformed. What the hell can I do, I have jokes to make damn it!

#83 Posted by hibikino (666 posts) -

I can't see nor make any comments on the site at all.

- Operating system - Windows 7
- Browser: Comodo Dragon (Chrome-based browser) 
- Region - Asia

#84 Posted by shadow3482 (1 posts) -

I can't watch E3 demo of watch dogs from the gamespot list of E3 event schedule http://www.gamespot.com/e3/watch_dogs-6409851/

#85 Posted by A_Rabid_Dog (12 posts) -
My avatar will not show when posting on article comment threads around Gamespot. The avatar is fine, however, on the forums. What am I missing?
#86 Posted by Chr0noid (39 posts) -
Same here. I was told to check this sticky but according to this little thread it seems everyone has no f'ing idea what is going on or has no definitive answers. And of course my topic was locked after the first reply. This has basically not answered my question in the slightest. -_-
#87 Posted by DigitalDame (3784 posts) -
Reaching out to the users with avatar issues via PM, please check them and get back to me.
#88 Posted by EvanescentCrow (73 posts) -
Not sure if this is the right place to put this, but it seems related. My problem is this: -----  ----- This is in my latest blog entry. I replied to that last user and, at the time, my comment appeared just fine. I revisited the page recently and my comment disappeared completely. I checked my moderation history just to be sure (even though I said nothing that would warrant moderation, mind you), and sure enough it's empty... so I have no idea where my message went, and why it still says "6" comments in one area but only "5" in another. I also noticed, when I visited Synthia's blog a few minutes ago, that the count on her blog was off as well. Clearing cache, refreshing, etc are not working for me. Any ideas that can help, please? EDIT: Forgot to add, fwiw, I'm running Firefox on Windows 7 x64.
#89 Posted by DigitalDame (3784 posts) -
Yep, this is the perfect place for this, thank you EvanescentCrow.
#90 Posted by rlv217 (9 posts) -

Hey Gamespot,

The past few months the comment section has not been loading. I have tried Chrome (main browser), Internet Explorer, and Firefox to no avail. I have tried clearing browser history upon signing out, and restarting my browswer. The support person that emailed me requested a screenshot, but it will not do much good. All I see is the story, and benath it Conversation powred by Livefyre. I don't post a lot of comments on sites, but once in awhile I will. Is there anyway to solve this issue? If so, thank you.

#91 Posted by MonkeyKinght98 (2335 posts) -

On the "Microsoft changing Xbox One policies" article I see the comments start at 871 and then start to slowly fill in, but then at 1170 they stop loading. I've tried both Chrome and IE and I've tried clearing my chache and it didn't work. 

#92 Posted by Eric_Drav3n (2729 posts) -

On the "Microsoft changing Xbox One policies" article I see the comments start at 871 and then start to slowly fill in, but then at 1170 they stop loading. I've tried both Chrome and IE and I've tried clearing my chache and it didn't work. 

MonkeyKinght98
Same for me.
#93 Posted by EvanescentCrow (73 posts) -
Small update from me: I decided to give that last user a new reply anyway and it updated the "5" back to a "6" without altering anything else, so now both numbers match. The problem remaining is "why" my message disappeared. I saw it appear shortly after I posted it, so it was there for at least a moment. Anyway, hope it gets fixed so we don't lose any more messages, and thank you to all who are working on it.
#94 Posted by A_Rabid_Dog (12 posts) -

Any news about updating our avatars?

#95 Posted by rlv217 (9 posts) -

Gamespot,

Finally got it to load, but I am being blocked from commenting for some reason. No history of moderation either. Been a member since 08, notice the red pop up with an X to close. Any response would be nice.

ScreenHunter_12Jun201217_zps6e6d3bad.jpg

#97 Posted by diskotheque (34 posts) -

Your solution fixed my problem perfectly! My new avatar is now showing up when I post comments. It seems kind of ridiculous to have to submit/apply changes on two separate pages... but hey, whatever works! Thanks again!

#98 Posted by Eric_Drav3n (2729 posts) -

Jamoid
Wow that worked! Thanks alot!
#99 Posted by Ovirew (6272 posts) -

Aha!

I figured out something just now that might help some other GS users.

My 'comment avatar image' was still displaying an avatar I had months ago.  I wanted it to update to show my current avatar.  And I was having trouble figuring out how to do this until now.

You can't change your 'comment avatar' from your regular user settings page.  But you will still need to change your main avatar there.

Instead, you have to change your 'comment avatar' from the Fuse/Livefyre profile page located here.  You can get to this page anytime by going to a place on the website with comments, such as a news article or someone's blog, and then hover over your icon that appears at the top, far-right area of the comment box (to the right of where it says how many comments there are, and how many people are 'currently listening'), and finally click "Edit Profile".

All you have to do is, quite simply, scroll down to the lower part of the screen where it shows "My Avatar".  Your current Gamespot avatar should show up here.  Then click "Change my Avatar", and finally "Save my Avatar".

If you do this, it seems to 'update' Fuse/Livefyre to work with your current GS avatar.  It worked instantly for me.

#100 Posted by Ovirew (6272 posts) -

Jamoid
...And I guess someone else already discovered this! Lol. Ah well.