JodyR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 JodyR
Member since 2005 • 16454 Posts

Synthia has been working with the Livefyre team to determine the problems you frequently have with the commenting system. Please report your problem in  this topics so we can monitor recent reports. We also need some further input to troubleshoot the problem. 

Common Issues:

- Comments not displaying at all.
- Comments not auto-logging you in to post.
- Email notification errors 

Missing any others? Share so below.   

Please provide the following when you report your recent commenting issue.

- Operating system (Winxp/Win7/Win8 - mobile phone, etc)
- Browser: (Safari, Chrome, Opera, Firefox, IE, etc)
- Your region (country is fine; U.S., U.K. etc.) 
- The problem you are encountering? (cannot post in the comments, cannot see any comments, not seeing your changed avatar image, etc)

JodyR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 JodyR
Member since 2005 • 16454 Posts

Also some input Livefyre provided a while ago. Please attempt to see if this may fix the problem as well. 

Have heard word from Livefyre and they have communicated the following: 

TLDNR Version: 

1. NoScript active in Google Chrome will interfere with Livefyre
2. If "Active Scripting" is disable in IE9, that will interfere with Livefyre
3. NoScript for FireFox, if a user has marked Gamespot.com as untrusted, that will break the widget.

Test Scenario and Results:

- Without Adblock and NoScript: The widget loads with comments and reply, able to post and reply and after page refresh widget still appears with comments in stream

- With Adblock ON and NoScript OFF: The widget loads with comments, able to post comments and reply and after page refresh widget still appears with comments in stream

- With NoScript ON and AdBlock OFF: The widget loads with comments, able to post comments and reply and after page refresh widget still appears with comments in stream

- With Adblock and NoScript ON: The widget loads with comments, able to post comments and reply and after page refresh widget still appears with comments in stream

- Note: IN NoScript there is an option Mark Gamespot.com as untrusted, so clicking that option and refreshing the page widget looks are changed. Print Screen is attached.

According to Livefyre this issue is being passed up to their product team, and they have stated that they will continue to keep us in the loop moving forward.

Extended Report from Livefyre

Google Chrome (Version 24.0.1312.52 m)

[spoiler]

- With NoScripts enabled (with and without adblocker enabled), the widget shows up only partially and the stream is missing a lot of styling. I can be signed in, and when we refresh the page, I'm signed out and I can't sign in again. See attached screenshot.

- With just Simple AdBlock enabled, I am able to comment and reply. I also can refresh the page without the widget disappearing.

[/spoiler]

Microsoft internet explorer 9 - 64bit ( Version 9.0.8112.16421)

[spoiler]

- NoScript is not available for IE browsers, so I am not able to test with that on.

- With SimpleAdblock enabled/disabled, we were able to post and reply on the widget without any issues. Refreshing the page does not make the widget disappear.

- Disabled 'Active scripting' on IE9 Security options, results in the widget displaying but only partially. You are signed out and can't sign in, and the stream looks a little strange as well (styling is missing). See attached screenshot.

[/spoiler]

Microsoft internet explorer 9 -32bit (Version 9.0.8112.16421)

[spoiler]

- We used this two URL artiles: http://www.gamespot.com/news/nintendo-returns-to-gamescom-2013-after-skipping-2012-6404172 and http://www.gamespot.com/shows/random-encounter/?event=haze20130220

- Without the AdBlock Plugin: We were able to post comment and reply and we did not see any comment or widget disappear on IE9-32 bit browser

- With AdBlock On: We were able to post comment and reply and I did not see any comment or widget disappear on IE9-32 bit browser

[/spoiler]

Mozilla Firefox 64 bit with Windows 7

[spoiler]

- For Firefox 64-bit release we used this site: and used Firefox Nightly exe installer for Firefox 64-bit release.http://www.firefox64bit.com/ Please Note: This is an unofficial build for firefox. I could not find the official Firefox 64-bit.

- Gamesport URL used:
http://www.gamespot.com/images/6403999/wargame-airland-battle-screens/?
http://www.gamespot.com/images/6404219/deep-down-screens/?

[/spoiler]

Synthia
Avatar image for QueerGamersXist
QueerGamersXist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 QueerGamersXist
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
i am using mac OS snow leopard and firefox is my browser. i have been having two problems listed above since i got my account: 1) my avatar image has never showed up when i comment 2) i only intermittently receive emails regarding comment replies and likes, and receive no email updates regarding comments on my own blog posts.
Battjas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#4 Battjas
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts

My e-mail notifications are not going to my updated email address. Also i dont know where i cant find settings for comment notifications.

I get email alerts when someone likes or replies to a comment of mine on Gamespot. I recently changed my email address and properly receive tracked game updates there but not comment notifications, these still go to my old email address. Maybe there are specific settings for this, but i cant find them anywhere.

mjc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 mjc  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 12723 Posts

Despite changing my avatar a few times over the past 4 months, Livefyre is still displaying something from 2012.

Operating System: I've tried this on various machines with Windows 7, Windows 8 and OSX Mountain Lion.
Browser: I've tried on Chrome, Internet Explorer and Safari
Region: AU 

Gelugon_baat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 656

User Lists: 4

#6 Gelugon_baat
Member since 2003 • 24247 Posts

I have mentioned already in the other thread that the post that I make appears to be acknowledged on LiveFyre's side, e.g. it prevents me from repeating a post with the same text. However, the post does not appear to be included in the thread that is loaded up on GameSpot's side, e.g. the number of comments does not update and when the page is reloaded, the post does not appear in the thread.

Avatar image for SlowMotionKarma
SlowMotionKarma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 SlowMotionKarma
Member since 2004 • 2724 Posts

Windows 7, Firefox/Chrome/IE9 (tried 'em all), USA

-Recently updated to a new e-mail address. I no longer receive ANY updates regarding likes, replies, or fuse page updates. Fuse page redirects to a "we sent a confirmation e-mail to your new address." page. I click to re-send the confirmation e-mail and it never shows up in my inbox. Yes, I checked my spam folders too. Tried this multiple times. The settings on GameSpot show my updated e-mail, and the e-mail fuse is trying to use to send the confirmation is the correct new one.

EDIT: Also, I've used AdBlock and NoScript on Firefox (my primary browser) for years without problems on GameSpot/Fuse. I HAVE completely disabled them though to see if that was the problem and there is no change.

Starshine_M2A2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#8 Starshine_M2A2
Member since 2006 • 5593 Posts

Sounding like a broken record here but Livefyre is still down for me. Nothing but a white screen with no link to the comments on my profile either.

Tripwolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#9 Tripwolf
Member since 2005 • 1943 Posts
I'm using Win 7 and IE. My comments are not showing up after I post them.
daveisthemusic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 daveisthemusic
Member since 2012 • 50 Posts

Yeah, I've also been trying to get my avatar working for the comments section. Nothing seems to work.

NTM23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 NTM23
Member since 2011 • 1282 Posts

Yep, same as others with the avatar in comments. I've, in the past, tried going into the options and changing the avatar, and it does change for everything except for when posting comments, so I'm stuck with an avatar that's almost a year old. Huh, at least it shows in the forums. It's just when posting on articles and what have you. I also don't get replies to my comments through email even though I have it selected to do so in my options.

JBStone1981

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#12 JBStone1981
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

I'm using Chrome on Windows 7 in the US, and my avatar will not show up in the comments section. It seems to show up in the forums just fine, and appears both in my user profile and at the upper right-hand corner of the screen beside my username, but whenever I post a comment I'm stuck with the generic Gamespot "G." For whatever it's worth, this is the third thread I've been directed to for help with this problem.

Canuck3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Canuck3000
Member since 2004 • 40562 Posts
The avatar thing is very annoying
JBStone1981

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#15 JBStone1981
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

So is this getting fixed, or what? I mean, what the hell, guys? This isn't rocket science, get the goddamn issue fixed.

dab198

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#16 dab198
Member since 2003 • 3934 Posts

So is this getting fixed, or what? I mean, what the hell, guys? This isn't rocket science, get the goddamn issue fixed.

JBStone1981
It needs assistance from the Livefyre team, getting frustrated about it isn't going to help.
Starshine_M2A2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Starshine_M2A2

I'm tooting my own horn here but if I were the guy responsible for ironing out bugs on this site, I would be on Livefyre's back 24/7 until they did something about it. Whoever's the liason with the guys at that company should start actually doing some liasing.

Or, better yet, fire your debugger and give ME his desk and I'll take this website into the 29th century.

buccomatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 buccomatic
Member since 2005 • 1941 Posts

livefyre is still bugged and it's garbage as well. it works for 5 minutes then it doesn't work for 3 days. i post a post, then it disappears, then it reappears. and it's like the on ALL CBS websites simultaneously.

it's either bugged or we're all getting hacked. either way it just flat out sucks.

buccomatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 buccomatic
Member since 2005 • 1941 Posts
[QUOTE="JBStone1981"]

dab198
It needs assistance from the Livefyre team, getting frustrated about it isn't going to help.

yeah but it's been like this for like 4-5 months. to ask us not to get frustrated is asking too much AT THIS POINT. 3 months ago, yeah i can see trying to relax and wait. that makes sense. but how long do we have to wait? i mean WTF are they doing and are they really even trying to fix it or are they just sitting around playing tiddly winks hoping it magically fixes itself? i'm not saying you guys are bad, i'm saying livefyre is garbage and the team that's working on it either doesn't know WTF they are doing or are letting it continue on purpose. it has to be one of the other because 5 months is more than long enough to get something like this fixed... truth be told. this is total bullshit, that's what this is.
Gelugon_baat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Gelugon_baat

Some of you may want to consider that the site is far, far more f*cked up technically than you think - and f*cked up more than you can fix.

That said, I am not voting for GameSpot in the Webby contest this year. Seems like some people in the Webby nomination process are very forgiving about a candidate's technical issues.

Starshine_M2A2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Starshine_M2A2

Some of you may want to consider that the site is far, far more f*cked up technically than you think - and f*cked up more than you can fix.

That said, I am not voting for GameSpot in the Webby contest this year. Seems like some people in the Webby nomination process are very forgiving about a candidate's technical issues.

Gelugon_baat
The only problem I have with it at the moment is related to Livefyre. Otherwise everything works fine.
Gelugon_baat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Gelugon_baat

The only problem I have with it at the moment is related to Livefyre. Otherwise everything works fine.Starshine_M2A2

I have the impression that even LiveFyre could not easily work around how technically f*cked up GameSpot is. There is not much that Jody and Synthia could do to make the LiveFyre work any faster, especially considering that GameSpot is not LiveFyre's only customer, and I doubt that CBS Interactive would throw more money at the problem to solve it.

Starshine_M2A2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Starshine_M2A2

[QUOTE="Starshine_M2A2"]The only problem I have with it at the moment is related to Livefyre. Otherwise everything works fine.Gelugon_baat

I have the impression that even LiveFyre could not easily work around how technically f*cked up GameSpot is. There is not much that Jody and Synthia could do to make the LiveFyre work any faster, especially considering that GameSpot is not LiveFyre's only customer, and I doubt that CBS Interactive would throw more money at the problem to solve it.

It's not broken for everyone. As far as I know those who can't get it to work are in a minority. So that suggests it's a problem with Livefyre's compatibility with certain browsers or configurations.
Scalper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#24 Scalper
Member since 2002 • 437 Posts
Also since so few people have problems with it, it would be very hard to fix. It's really hard to fix something that the tech team can't reproduce on their end.
angeldeb82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 angeldeb82
Member since 2005 • 1724 Posts
I'm using Internet Explorer 8 on Windows XP and the blog comments appeared fine this morning. But today, a few minutes ago, NONE of the blog comments appear on any blogs at all, no matter how many times I hit "Refresh"! When will the blog comment bugs be fixed?! :(
Avatar image for SiLenTWarrior29
SiLenTWarrior29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 SiLenTWarrior29
Member since 2005 • 289 Posts

This shyt just happened to me today... no comments displaying only a blank white space on the bottom of every damn thread I go to WTF!?

Gelugon_baat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Gelugon_baat

It's not broken for everyone. As far as I know those who can't get it to work are in a minority.Starshine_M2A2

Those with sh*t for luck, I would say.

So that suggests it's a problem with Livefyre's compatibility with certain browsers or configurations.You

If it is, I would be posting comments on the LiveFyre threads already - I don't just use one browser.

Scalper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#28 Scalper
Member since 2002 • 437 Posts
I'm wondering if this issue is only with certain people and livefyre only or if somehow gamespot+livefyre is getting messed up. For everyone having the comments not load can you try going to engadget and techcrunch and see if the comments load there(powered by livefyre)
Adavanter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Adavanter

Yeah I had no problems what so ever. Yesterday morning I was commenting just fine and then later in the day I came back and the comments window is completely gone. I figured maybe I needed to reboot or restart IE etc... Or the problem was on their end and I'd just need to let some time pass.

Here we are a day later and it's still gone and I can see others commenting by the topic header... So it's working for some people. Mine is still missing even though my browser seems to accommodate an invisible system. IE it gives me a bunch of blank space towards the bottom seemingly in line with the comments section.

Adavanter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Adavanter
I went to livefire's website and followed their troubleshooting. All I had to do was clear my cache. Comments are working for me now.
angeldeb82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 angeldeb82
Member since 2005 • 1724 Posts
It seems that all the blog comments returned last night, and they're still here today. :)
Winzent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Winzent
Member since 2006 • 26 Posts

For some reason the comment section stopped working for me today, comments are not showing after I post them?

Using Win7 and IE10

strothers101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 strothers101
Member since 2011 • 425 Posts

Windows 7

Chrome and Firefox

Australia

Cannot see comments or on occasion can see comments but cant post.

Cheers,

Gelugon_baat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Gelugon_baat

The picture for my LiveFyre profile image finally updated itself, but I am still unable to have the LiveFyre threads register my posts.

Spinnerweb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

#36 Spinnerweb
Member since 2009 • 2995 Posts
Oh, yeah. My Livefyre picture hasn't updated for months.
JP_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#37 JP_
Member since 2007 • 12875 Posts
- Operating system (Winxp/Win7/Win8 - mobile phone, etc) Win7 - Browser: (Safari, Chrome, Opera, Firefox, IE, etc) Safari - Your region (country is fine; U.S., U.K. etc.) US - The problem you are encountering? (cannot post in the comments, cannot see any comments, not seeing your changed avatar image, etc) Cannot see any images what so ever I only see my avatar on the top right corner from the forums at times
Gelugon_baat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Gelugon_baat

The picture for my LiveFyre profile image finally updated itself, but I am still unable to have the LiveFyre threads register my posts.

Gelugon_baat

It reverted back to the outdated one. *Sigh*. :roll:

WantYouBad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 WantYouBad
Member since 2012 • 31 Posts

So can someone explain the solution in laymans terms? I've tried all browsers, nothing helps. I don't get any replies or anything to my comments as they cannot be seen....

Gelugon_baat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Gelugon_baat

I have discovered that although the LiveFyre threads do not register and display posts that I have made, they register my attempts to delete said posts: the counter for comments appear to reduce by 1 for every post that I delete.

Clearing my cache appears to solve this, although I am still unable to have the threads register my posts.

UPDATE: In addition, I have made the following test.

1. I made a post that consists of certain text in a LiveFyre thread. The thread displays the post, but does not update the counter.
  2. Refreshing the page causes the thread to fail to re-display the post. The counter remains unchanged.
  3. If I attempt to post the same text again, LiveFyre bars me from doing that and displays a textbox saying that I may not post the same thing twice.
  4. I cleared my cache, and reloaded the page.
  5. Attempting to post the same text again gets me the same textbox.
  6. Testing with other browsers yielded the same problem. I have tested this with the latest Firefox, Internet Explorer and Chrome.

I doubt that this issue of mine is caused by problems on my side.

WantYouBad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 WantYouBad
Member since 2012 • 31 Posts

Clearing my cache of everything fixed it. Hooray! I was contemplating going back to IGN, thank god I dont have to now.

wexorian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 263

#42 wexorian
Member since 2008 • 3228 Posts

I changed 4th time Alredy all icons image set but when i'm posting comment on news pages threads etc i got Warcraft icon form 2008 year when i 1st tiem choosed what iwanted. Can somebody fix it? or how i can fix it?

wexorian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 wexorian

I changed 4th time Alredy all icons image set but when i'm posting comment on news pages threads etc i got Warcraft icon form 2008 year when i 1st tiem choosed what iwanted. Can somebody fix it? or how i can fix it?

wexorian
I'm like this for 5-6 month CAN i get Some Fix maybe ????
Gelugon_baat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Gelugon_baat

I'm like this for 5-6 month CAN i get Some Fix maybe ????wexorian

Whining some more without giving more details on the problem won't get the problem fixed. ;)

GEMEAI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#45 GEMEAI
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

I'm having a problem with my avatar, I have change the avatar a while back and it did change but when i comment on reviews or videos the old avatar is the one that shows not the new one

wexorian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 wexorian

I'm having a problem with my avatar, I have change the avatar a while back and it did change but when i comment on reviews or videos the old avatar is the one that shows not the new one

GEMEAI

Same here , Gamespot Is buggy last 1 year :)

Trail_Mix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Trail_Mix
Member since 2011 • 2579 Posts

Yep, changed avatars wont show up in any article comments or blog comments, but they appear just fine in the forums. This is pretty frustrating to say the least.

Trender_man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Trender_man
Member since 2013 • 143 Posts
ah, clearing my cache fixed my comment icon not changing.
Heretic_88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Heretic_88
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts

I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit and Firefox 20.0.1. My problem is with the comments. I come to this website everyday to check out the gaming news. Some days I can see the comments and post a comment and other days I can't. It seems like most days I can't. I can see and post right now but in a couple of hours it 's probably going to go away. Why does this keep happening?